Which Minelab Detector For What Purpose?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is a list, which describes what each Minelab detector is suited too, such as soil type etc.. and what their best at searching for, eg.. gold, coins, relics, and thing else that might be of use.

regards hounddog.

Go and have a chat to a Minelab dealer or do a search on here. Any search on here is the opinion of the person posting (some are qualified some aren't)

You're other option to short list any responses is to qualify your interests. There's NO ONE DETECTOR SUITS ALL you need explain your intentions for use.

Not after a detector or anything like that as I already have one, Just thought a list would help people trying to decide what they are after and yes i know everyone will have different opinion, and sales spiels are not what people not always the best way to go.
Also trying to get a bit of discussion going. and also what people have found to work for them.

To gain a discerning outcome to your question you'd be better off making the list yourself so others can respond imo. Obviously your interest lies with Minelab machines given you've chosen the Minelab threads to ask your question.

With reference to gold detectors (Minelab being your chosen topic) I'll list my preference from top to bottom, I own and have used each. Doesn't mean there best or better on any given day :beer:

GPZ 7000
GPX5000
SDC2300
SD 2000
GM1000

The reason the GM is at the bottom is because it's the machine I've used the least. I noticed you've owned/still own a GM. If you still own the GM do yourself a favour and hook up with others who are having good experiences :perfect: and learn how to maximise the benefits :beer:

The SD series really opened up the new world of prospecting (1994) and for everyone who knew what their potential was and where to use them scored handsomely. How happy would you be finding 350 + ounces in one day :eek: over the moon no doubt. It happened, more than once and just like the 1800's of unreported finds the exact same thing happened in the 1990's and still does today.

SD being the 1st of the PI (Pulse Induction) machines was coined SD as an acronym for Supper/Superior Detector hence the new age Gold Rush began :beer:

From my experience, Equinox for coins and relics in junky spots and with the 6" coil for tiny and reefy gold in mild soils.
SDC2300 for tiny and reefy shallow gold in any soils. GPX4500/5000 For bigger, deeper gold in most soils. GPX6000 for really tiny gold at ridiculous depths in mild to medium soils. GPZ7000 for small to large gold, from shallow to ridiculous depths in any type of soils.

Hi Hounddog,
it is also important to actually get hold of the different detectors, as weight might be an issue as well. I do not mind the weight of my GPZ 7000 but compare it to the GPX 6000

For coins and relics compare the CTX 3030 with the Equinox 800 - big differences.

I myself did not want to have a detector that was not among the better ones or the best, as I would have always wondered, what I might have missed...

Have had a long list. Of course heavily skewed to gold prospecting.
Whites 6000
Minelab GT1600
Minelab XT1800
Minelab Sovereign
Minelab SD2000
Minelab SD2100
Minelab Extreme (skipped the 2200)
Minelab GP3000
Minelab GP3500
Minelab GPX 4500 (skipped the 4000)
Minelab GPX 5000
Minelab GPZ 7000
Minelab SDC 2300
Of these my best results were with the SD2100, GPX4500 and GPX5000. Obviously one must allow for opportunity in use as well.
So for me its back for the future and have recently repurchased a GPX5000. Pick of the bunch IMHO and has not disappointed.
Overall however even a good machine will not substitute for poor detecting.

I only have an Equinox 800 . I bought it for lightness and price . The CTX 3030 is 3 times the cost and is heavier .

I would buy the GPX 6000 if I was buying a gold machine . It is still on my "to buy " list !

At 77 the weight is a big factor .

Latest posts