Where do I look?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which is info not given - all I had to go on was Moneybox "the only mine that I have any history on is the Golden Leaf mine that can be found on Trove and it's listed in Mindex;" and it showed a few tens of ounces production (usually Mindex shows production for the biggest mine in an area). And grubstake, who I assumed knew where it was"sounds like there was a single, smallish but productive gold mine and lots of attempts to find more nearby, both along strike from and parallel to the Golden Leaf reef system".

Sorry goldierocks, I was only commenting on the mines on my little lease. There are a lot of productive gold mines within a few kilometres and a lot of historic abandoned mines that are very close by. Just about every bit of dirt around here has or had gold but much of it is alluvial gold even though it's a dry desert.

Sorry goldierocks, I was only commenting on the mines on my little lease. There are a lot of productive gold mines within a few kilometres and a lot of historic abandoned mines that are very close by. Just about every bit of dirt around here has or had gold but much of it is alluvial gold even though it's a dry desert.
Yes, I worked around Cue etc for a year or more but did not recognize the name. Lots of gold. Lived more than a year in Sandstone, had an office next to the warden's office opposite the Mt Magnet Hotel.

My thoughts go along like this.........reach down carefully and remove some in situ material off the stringer....dolly and grade it.....repeat at the various shafts and where the QTZ outcrops (you have the line of strike)....this will soon give you an idea of what your dealing with. I am sure there will be gold in it but the question is...will there be economic gold in it? Me personally, I just dig it all out with an excavator and then have a good look. What I am looking for is where the QTZ has 'bellied out' into a ballroom....this is where the good grade will lie. Thing is....why chase hardrock when your already set up to run alluvial? When you commented that you have ground with a cap and soil underneath and a good pedigree of AU on top.....why would you not concentrate on that!! Get that cap off and have a look underneath...that would be my number one priority.

My thoughts go along like this.........reach down carefully and remove some in situ material off the stringer....dolly and grade it.....repeat at the various shafts and where the QTZ outcrops (you have the line of strike)....this will soon give you an idea of what your dealing with. I am sure there will be gold in it but the question is...will there be economic gold in it? Me personally, I just dig it all out with an excavator and then have a good look. What I am looking for is where the QTZ has 'bellied out' into a ballroom....this is where the good grade will lie. Thing is....why chase hardrock when your already set up to run alluvial? When you commented that you have ground with a cap and soil underneath and a good pedigree of AU on top.....why would you not concentrate on that!! Get that cap off and have a look underneath...that would be my number one priority.

Tony, I don't have big machinery suitable to dig that quartz out but I'd like to tinker with extracting some to see if there was anything left behind by the early prospectors. Some of these mines were sunk prior to 1900 so you never know what might have been abandoned during wartime or for some other reason. There might be mines there that were productive but never mined out. I've not counted them but there are at least 20 holes in the ground across the 20 Ha.

Phil, you will have more knowledge than me on this but i did read yesterday that Victory is having great success with their Emily Wells, Young Australian and Mafeking Area Mines which I believe are near you in Cue. Also North Stanmore . Mackka

Phil, you will have more knowledge than me on this but i did read yesterday that Victory is having great success with their Emily Wells, Young Australian and Mafeking Area Mines which I believe are near you in Cue. Also North Stanmore . Mackka

Mackka, I'm really bad at keeping in contact with the area in general. I don't usually meet many people and I don't watch the news so if something is going on I'm the last to find out. I have a little dig around later to see what I can find out.

The weather report says it's 32°C out there now but I just returned from lunch at the CRC and it seems a lot hotter than that. I'm going to go out and run my morning's work over the sluice and then pan it so at least I'll be playing in the water :)

Mackka, I'm really bad at keeping in contact with the area in general. I don't usually meet many people and I don't watch the news so if something is going on I'm the last to find out. I have a little dig around later to see what I can find out.

The weather report says it's 32°C out there now but I just returned from lunch at the CRC and it seems a lot hotter than that. I'm going to go out and run my morning's work over the sluice and then pan it so at least I'll be playing in the water :)
Phil, I read it on Mining.com so not sure how good the info is but they also said they have found some type of valuable mineral, something Earth, Rare Earth maybe but i can't remember. Been warm in Brissie all week, high 20's and a 34C. Warm next week too but hopefully we might get a bit of rain as it is very dry. Cheers Mackka