Pulling over to help - Good Samaritans and Passers-by.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SA

Keith Driscoll, executive director of SA Ambulances Emergency Operations, said SA Ambulance Service encouraged people to help those in need of medical assistance.

"You should first ensure there isn't any danger to yourself in doing so and always call triple zero (000) for emergency ambulance attendance," he said.

"Even if you have no medical training whatsoever, you can still help to save someone's life."

1629453013_untitled.jpg

Any news story on this patient?
I had a thought or two,
maybe he was car surfing and fell and the driver panicked
or maybe he was a cheating husband
or owed the bad guys money
or maybe he was the attacker and the driver was the lucky victim that escaped.
Hmmmmm
Did he walk like he had been probed by aliens ?

I had Know idea there were so many fee,s involved in being a Nice HUMAN & calling an AMBO from another that is in Need :( ( In AUSTRALIA )
Myself I dont _uck around Ive had Full AMBO Cover in Victoria since I was 21 :D
Most of you Guys Know I need it :lol: :lol:

aussiefarmer said:
I had a thought or two,
Hmmmmm
Hmmmmm I worry about You my Friend ;) ;)

aussiefarmer said:
I had a thought or two,
Hmmmmm

Nah, just sneezed when a mozzie flew up his nostril...driver thought it was something else :p

StayyerAU said:
G'day

Yesterday I was heading out along the freeway south of Mandurah WA, and I glanced something in the grass on the side of the road, then realizing that I had seen some hair as well I braked hard and pulled off the road, as I reversed back I saw a figure stand up in the grass and then fall face first down again, getting out and seeing this bloke laying there and bleeding I waved some cars down as I might need some help, many cars and trucks flew past and just ignored me until one chap and his wife stopped to help, as the guy came round he told me that he was thrown from a car, so we helped him up and called for an ambulance, he didn't then seem very badly injured but had a bump on the head and some gravel rash so we advised him as he may have been concussed to stay put until the ambo's arrived.

I was amazed that no one apart from myself and the couple who I flagged down stopped to help and obviously injured person, had we not stopped he may have stumbled out on to the freeway and been run over as well, cant believe how callous people are these days, if any of you are reading this then you should be ashamed of yourselves.

After the ambo's arrived and took over I headed off and then when driving away I saw the police arrive as well, its not so hard to be compassionate to others in need and one day you might find yourself in the same boat, what comes round goes round.

cheers

stayyerAU

Mate, the ambo fees aside (personally I'd like to see them try and send you a bill, and would also gladly kick some cash in), you are a great bloke for pulling over.

Most people these days are selfish or too worried about the person possibly being on drugs/booze and tend to just drive on. Others probably thought there's enough help as soon as they saw you helping (https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/...l/201605/what-do-when-no-one-s-doing-anything). I had a mate of mine skid of a road many years ago, crashing his car down an embankment. He had to crawl up to the street with 2 broken legs and try and wave down someone. It took 10 minutes of constant traffic before someone decided to stop and ask if he was alright!

All I can say is that you get a measure of society by how its citizens look out for one another. We can do better than this. Good on you, mate. :Y:

Phil

G'day

I guess that when you encounter a situation like this you don't really have time to judge what the person did or did not do, just get on with it and do what you can, I have rescued many animals over the years and have been bitten, scratched and kicked for my efforts but will still do it anyway, I think dealing with humans is far more dangerous as I know from past experience they can turn on you as well even when you are trying to help them, but I know that I would have felt bad if I had driven past and then later heard that someone had been killed on that road, as by the way he was getting up and falling down I think there is every possibility that he would have wandered onto the road and with everyone flying by at over 100 kph would have been cleaned up.

cheers

stayyerAU

some people are stupid and some just don't want to get involved.

i was driving home late one night and could see cars stopped on the road and people everywhere just standing there while a fire was roaring along a fence line right next to

some units, another 5 minutes and the flats would have been burning, nobody doing anything but standing around looking at it :argh:, i stopped and grabbed someone's

garden hose and put most of it out by the time the fire dept got there. i couldn't believe everyone just stood there in their night gowns watching! must have been

around 20 people doing nothing :lol:

As I said, read the full article...

'Passers-by will never be charged': Ambulance Victoria

In a further statement, Ambulance Victoria's executive director of corporate services Robb Barr said an invoice was sent to the patient who did not respond or contact them.

So the bill was referred to the debt recovery agency.

"We provided the agency with the phone number, in this case used to call triple zero, as this can assist in making contact with a patient," he said.

"A call was made by the agency [to Jenna] who had no link to the patient.

"No further contact should have been made."

ARL has been contacted for comment.

Mr Barr said Ambulance Victoria was investigating the incident and seeking full details from the debt recovery agency about how it happened.

"We applaud those who step in to help strangers in a medical emergency," he said.

"A passer-by who calls triple zero for an ambulance will never be required to pay an invoice."
I learnt to drive in the bush and we were taught never to ignore a person who appeared to be in difficulty on the road because the person we help could well be the person who helps the person who finds us stuck on the road. What goes around comes around.
Nevertheless, these days, if a doubtful looking person flags me down I generally drive past for a safe distance and then check the situation out before approaching. I have never had cause to regret this approach although, on one occasion, a large and pugnacious drunk told me to get lost, a directive to which I complied with alacrity.

Latest posts