Pulling over to help - Good Samaritans and Passers-by.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

G'day

Yesterday I was heading out along the freeway south of Mandurah WA, and I glanced something in the grass on the side of the road, then realizing that I had seen some hair as well I braked hard and pulled off the road, as I reversed back I saw a figure stand up in the grass and then fall face first down again, getting out and seeing this bloke laying there and bleeding I waved some cars down as I might need some help, many cars and trucks flew past and just ignored me until one chap and his wife stopped to help, as the guy came round he told me that he was thrown from a car, so we helped him up and called for an ambulance, he didn't then seem very badly injured but had a bump on the head and some gravel rash so we advised him as he may have been concussed to stay put until the ambo's arrived.

I was amazed that no one apart from myself and the couple who I flagged down stopped to help and obviously injured person, had we not stopped he may have stumbled out on to the freeway and been run over as well, cant believe how callous people are these days, if any of you are reading this then you should be ashamed of yourselves.

After the ambo's arrived and took over I headed off and then when driving away I saw the police arrive as well, its not so hard to be compassionate to others in need and one day you might find yourself in the same boat, what comes round goes round.

cheers

stayyerAU

Good effort, re the passes by, I think they are fearful of getting involved.

Re calling the ambo's, read somewhere that he who makes the call, pays the bill, if the user cannot pay, hope that's not the case here. ( to me some states have a lot better Ambo cover than others)

Informed consent means you understand the relative risks and benefits, and you say No or yes fully understanding the impact of your decision. Its explicit because you actively give or deny consent.

Implied consent means you dont have the faculties or circumstances to give informed consent. If you are impaired (drugs, alcohol, head injury, mental illness) or unconscious, you cannot give informed consent. Therefore, a decision is made in your best interest to do what it is believed a reasonable person would want done for them if they could speak for themselves. Its implicit because you dont actively say yes but your circumstances do.

Would you prefer they just leave you unconscious? Most people who lose consciousness need help therefore it can be legally and ethically assumed you would want help.

So then yes, the bill is your/the victims problem.

G'day

Didn't even consider whether or not there would be any issue with the cost of an ambulance, bloody hell are you serious, anyway I didn't call the ambulance the other guy did on his phone, I was busy helping the guy and keeping him awake, if they want to come at that crap I will go to jail first before paying for it, don't care really as I am old and ugly, and also they would have to feed me and I can eat a lot, if I were still young and pretty I would be scared ]:D

In these situations the instinct and trained response just kicks in and you do what you have to do, you don't think about yourself just what you can do to help out, no wonder many people make no effort they are all too scared to get involved and get shafted for their empathy, what a wonderful world we have created for ourselves. :poop:

Anyway thanks guys for offering to chip in, but getting busted out of prison sounds like great fun maybe we can do that :bomb:

cheers

stayyerAU

If you read the full story of the Good Samaritan being charged.. you will see the result..

There is no issue of a Good Samaritan or passer by calling an ambulance or any other emergency service for legitimate concerns.

Re (If you read the full story of the Good Samaritan being charged.. you will see the result..

There is no issue of a Good Samaritan or passer by calling an ambulance or any other emergency service for legitimate concerns.)

Unfortunately could well be not correct in SA.

From my Thread above: (South Australians also need to pay for ambulance cover, with discounts for pensioners.)

My understanding this is ONLY if you Don't have Medical Benefits, otherwise if you pay your subscriptions to SA Ambulance and have an accident and they find out you have MB they according to their fine print will not pay and expect your MB ( eg Bupa and No discounts for pensioners) to pay. And if you called the Ambo for someone else, would your MB pay, I don't think so. ( This is my interpretation of SA Ambulance rules/fine print, I may be wrong in my interpretation, but I doubt it.

Hopefully SA has Good Samaritan rules somewhere.

Solid Luck said:
Simmo said:
If you read the full story of the Good Samaritan being charged.. you will see the result..

There is no issue of a Good Samaritan or passer by calling an ambulance or any other emergency service for legitimate concerns.

Well, not in Vic anyway.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07...ebt-collector-after-calling-triple-0/10011774

As I said, read the full article...

'Passers-by will never be charged': Ambulance Victoria

In a further statement, Ambulance Victoria's executive director of corporate services Robb Barr said an invoice was sent to the patient who did not respond or contact them.

So the bill was referred to the debt recovery agency.

"We provided the agency with the phone number, in this case used to call triple zero, as this can assist in making contact with a patient," he said.

"A call was made by the agency [to Jenna] who had no link to the patient.

"No further contact should have been made."

ARL has been contacted for comment.

Mr Barr said Ambulance Victoria was investigating the incident and seeking full details from the debt recovery agency about how it happened.

"We applaud those who step in to help strangers in a medical emergency," he said.

"A passer-by who calls triple zero for an ambulance will never be required to pay an invoice."