What Would You Choose.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having Owned most of the Top of the Line Machines I have worked out that there are Some machines that will almost Guarantee the user Finds and as such the thought of not finding something does not enter my head and the most common thought that comes to mind is " Bugga I still got all that to do Yet".

1st for me would be the MXT All Pro, Because not once in 6 and a 1/2 years have I ever been skunked and If I do my bit then I know it will do it's Job, and the battery Life will return about 60+ hours and it just Works Period, I can coin hunt or look for Gold in Hot Ground with some success but Extreme Ground will give it a hard time.

2nd, It would have to be the GP3500 or the GPX 4500, With the 35 there is no doubts about what it's controls do and it is straight forward a bit like the MXT but in a PI Format, The 45 just Rocks and it is such a solid performer and is not over complicated but it is as far as I would want to go when it comes to settings and out of the SD,GP and GPX series to me it is the Corner Stone of Detectors. Although the 35 and the 45 have a different task compared to the MXT, In their chosen fields I would place them both as equals, Because the MXT is what the 35/45 is and the 35/45 are to prospecting what the MXT is to Coin /Relic/Gold in more mild conditions.

3rd, Would have to be the SDC 2300, because it just produces no matter what whether it is in the hands of a Novice or the Skilled Prospector, From reading everyone's success stories and seeing all the pictures, I would have to list the SDC in the Dead Cert Category because if there is Gold in the Area then it is only a matter of Time before you find a nugget because it see's the Gold that PI's miss and it does it in ground where VLF's Struggle with depth. But if small shallow is the target a VLF will work with some success but not as seamless as what it would be with the SDC

4th would be either the GMT, The battery life is about 50 to 60 hours and it does give you a certain amount of info/feed back, As does the Gold Racer but it is early days yet but I can see the GR making some serious waves in the Prospecting World.
It is amazing what LF machines can do, but although I have one I prefer to use the MXT because in Hot Ground it runs better and it can see bits in LF Territory, Nice machines but they don't give me that Dead Cert feeling that the other 3 do, either one of them has or is making History, But LF machine just don't inspire me.

I would Buy these machines in this order Again and If I was to be buying/putting a Kit together these 3 machines would be my Standard Kit because all 3 have broken new ground in their chosen Tasks.

So Imagine money "No Object" what would your Kit consist Of.

take care,

John.

Ridge Runner said:
So Imagine money "No Object" what would your Kit consist Of.

All of this, and whatever else goes with it:

images

I don't blame ya, it is one of the few machines that does what it says on the Tin,

No fancy tricks, Just A pure all out machine,

John.

Heatho said:
I'd probaly swap my 5000 for a Zed and keep the SDC and CTX. I really already have all bases covered. If I wanted to slum it I may chuck a Deus in as well (not literal, that's just a joke guys). :D

Wouldn't the ZED find the same Gold the SDC does, I think you need a 705 with some 18khz coils for the mullock heaps or a Eureka Gold,

John.

It will but the SDC won't punch down anywhere near as far as a Zed. The SDC is maybe slightly more sensitive on the really tiny bits but I reckon that's subjective.

705 nup, Eureka nup. SDC will flog both of them in the heavy mineralisation. SDC is sensational on mullock heaps, sort of built for it with that 8"coil.

Syndyne (Shauno) sent me a pic the other day of a small nug he got on an area he raked and flogged with his SDC, he picked it up with his new Zed at quite a decent depth, way deeper than the SDC would have got it, he does not miss much, he is very very thorough. :)

Horses for courses though, just my opinion.

Once I get my GP sorted out I see an SDC in my future, That ZED does get some crazy depths on sub grammers, I have been watching some guy on YT and he is killing it.

John.

Ridge Runner said:
Once I get my GP sorted out I see an SDC in my future, That ZED does get some crazy depths on sub grammers, I have been watching some guy on YT and he is killing it.

John.

To be honest mate unless you're coming back to Australia looking for gold the SDC will drive you mad on junk infested sites, it's so sensitive that you won't even get it near the ground in rusty flaky iron infested areas. This is where the good treasure hunting detectors will leave it for dead.

Also the recovery speed is pretty slow on the SDC after detecting a lump of iron or other decent lump of metal. .

If I were coming to the UK for a swing I'd be using a CTX and/or Deus. Just my preference though.

Heatho said:
Ridge Runner said:

John.

To be honest mate unless you're coming back to Australia looking for gold the SDC will drive you mad on junk infested sites, it's so sensitive that you won't even get it near the ground in rusty flaky iron infested areas. This is where the good treasure hunting detectors will leave it for dead.

Also the recovery speed is pretty slow on the SDC after detecting a lump of iron or other decent lump of metal. .

If I were coming to the UK for a swing I'd be using a CTX and/or Deus. Just my preference though.

Yeah your right about that, The SDC would hit on everything.

Well my mate has found a spot up in Wales and he has been finding good detectable Gold, Biggest bit was 37 grams and the rest was all under 2.3 grams, so I might see how my machines go before I buy another.

All my machines are Gold based so I think I need to hold off buying anymore for now,

John.

Ridge Runner said:
Heatho said:
Ridge Runner said:

John.

Well my mate has found a spot up in Wales and he has been finding good detectable Gold, Biggest bit was 37 grams and the rest was all under 2.3 grams, so I might see how my machines go before I buy another.

All my machines are Gold based so I think I need to hold off buying anymore for now,

John.

John that changes everything, if you have small nugget areas an SDC will serve you very well in a spot like that if there isn't too much iron age junk there. What's the mineralisation like there? If it's not too bad then yeah you have quite a few good options for detectors though as you kinow here in Aus we are limited for good choices due to the sometimes extreme mineralisation in some areas.

Gold Racer could be a really good option for you there maybe?

Heatho said:
Ridge Runner said:
Heatho said:
Ridge Runner said:

John.

John.

John that changes everything, if you have small nugget areas an SDC will serve you very well in a spot like that if there isn't too much iron age junk there. What's the mineralisation like there? If it's not too bad then yeah you have quite a few good options for detectors though as you kinow here in Aus we are limited for good choices due to the sometimes extreme mineralisation in some areas.

Gold Racer could be a really good option for you there maybe?

Up around the spot he found it is not that bad because it is in the mountains so there won't be too much modern junk and the mineralization is close to Normal (+60s ) and the goes up the early (80's) +/- So any good VLF will work there, I ran the MXT up north of Gympie and it hit into the 90s on the Ground phase meter, But it still worked and it did find Gold too, So anything here is going to be a bonus, But I want to give the GP a go if I can and hopefully find some bigger bits, there was a lot of old mines with 50 miles from there and people have been pulling out Gold from the area since Roman times, Oh and they have just found a New Gold spot in Ireland, So theres another option, aye.

John.

If you know where the gold is the SDC is a winner, nearly every time. It's so consistent makes me wonder if Minelab could / will produce a better machine that targets small gold. Wether a novice or experienced user on payable ground it's dynamite imo.

Yeah I'm going with the Zed and SDC. I like that the Zed is all one unit like the SDC, no seperate battery pack etc

RM Outback said:
If you know where the gold is the SDC is a winner, nearly every time. It's so consistent makes me wonder if Minelab could / will produce a better machine that targets small gold. Wether a novice or experienced user on payable ground it's dynamite imo.

I am not sure it can be improved upon, unless they add some kind of disc, as for it's Gold sniffing abilities there is nothing better.

John.

Latest posts