What have I found?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the pic, bottom left, there is a 12 volt alternator that has obviously been added. My guess would be so they could use a starter motor to fire it up. As for the four pointer, I have been a surveyor since the late 1960s and personally haven't seen that form of survey mark, I think the clue might lay in the metal piece protruding to the SW or bottom left of the pic and a faint mark in the cement just south of east point approx I,at Ely 90 degrees to the piece of iron. Personally being found close to a station I would think it would be railway related maybe as others have said signifying points setting

I doubt it’s rail related (unless it’s some weird rail-specific survey mark).

Railway ”Points” (aka switches, turnouts, crossovers etc) are traditionally marked ”N” for “Normal”, and “R” for “Reverse”. “Normal”, is usually for the “straight” position. ”Reverse” is usually for the diverging route.
Just because rail is different, sometimes the “Normal” position, is for the diverging path.

Remember, there’s the right way, the wrong way, and the railway…

In the pic, bottom left, there is a 12 volt alternator that has obviously been added. My guess would be so they could use a starter motor to fire it up. As for the four pointer, I have been a surveyor since the late 1960s and personally haven't seen that form of survey mark, I think the clue might lay in the metal piece protruding to the SW or bottom left of the pic and a faint mark in the cement just south of east point approx I,at Ely 90 degrees to the piece of iron. Personally being found close to a station I would think it would be railway related maybe as others have said signifying points setting

I think the clue will be on the treasure map if I can locate it ;)

I'd forgot about this. I might have a chance to duck down there tomorrow but we'll see if the weather gives me a chance to head out to the dryblower. Today it was so gusty I was worried I might lose control of Tonka (the big CAT). Dust was going every direction so I scraped up some new dirt, changed the oil in Goldilocks' little Honda and came home.

I'm just guessing here, but I reckon it might have something to do with the big engine. PS = Power Supply?

Great find! :)

Cheers,
Megsy

If you google “Permanent Survey Mark” there’s a whole bunch of different survey marks set into concrete. Looks suspiciously like a variation on one of these. Not my areas of expertise however.
That kinda fits with the “PS” markings…

I find the little rusty marker arm the most interesting, would department of lands or some one have records of such things ?
Also if you over lay the 5 directions on satellite images do they point to anything?

I find the little rusty marker arm the most interesting, would department of lands or some one have records of such things ?
Also if you over lay the 5 directions on satellite images do they point to anything?

Ok I'll go back out there now and get the location on GPS and we'll see what turns up. I know it's not on any current border line of a mining lease because it's right in the middle of one.

Here we go, The GPS says 27°27.782' 117°52.374' if you want to convert that to DMS then multiply the decimal places by 60.

Brass points.jpg

It screwed off N/S by just a bit. That's my Garmin Oregon camera that's stuffed but you can see the angle I have the phone on.

Brass points2.jpg

The Garmin things it's pretty much on North but you can't trust these electronic compasses much and I forgot to take the real compass.

Brass points3.jpg

Taken with Solocator.

Brass points4.jpg

There you go. If you want to play on Google Earth that should give you something to start with.

So maybe someone has built themselves a backyard compass , the arrows themselves are 2nd hand or stolen as I can see the marks from the original bolts. The double arrow to northish makes me believe its backyard bush compass, I still wonder if the little rusty arm points to their local pub or a important area of the station.

So maybe someone has built themselves a backyard compass , the arrows themselves are 2nd hand or stolen as I can see the marks from the original bolts. The double arrow to northish makes me believe its backyard bush compass, I still wonder if the little rusty arm points to their local pub or a important area of the station.
Probably the dunny! 💩

Here we go, The GPS says 27°27.782' 117°52.374' if you want to convert that to DMS then multiply the decimal places by 60.

View attachment 6395

It screwed off N/S by just a bit. That's my Garmin Oregon camera that's stuffed but you can see the angle I have the phone on.

View attachment 6396

The Garmin things it's pretty much on North but you can't trust these electronic compasses much and I forgot to take the real compass.

View attachment 6398

Taken with Solocator.

View attachment 6399

There you go. If you want to play on Google Earth that should give you something to start with.
You say "The Garmin things it's pretty much on North but you can't trust these electronic compasses much and I forgot to take the real compass". The electronic compass should be good for true north, the magnetic compass points to magnetic north (which is very different), so readings require a major correction (eleven degrees in Ballarat this year).

You say "The Garmin things it's pretty much on North but you can't trust these electronic compasses much and I forgot to take the real compass". The electronic compass should be good for true north, the magnetic compass points to magnetic north (which is very different), so readings require a major correction (eleven degrees in Ballarat this year).

11° is a huge adjustment. The Garmin is ok if moving but not reliable at standstill.

bicter (Phil, Is it possible one of your devices is set to True North and the other to Magnetic North)
The other compass is on the iPhone-12. I don't know what these things point to.

11° is a huge adjustment. The Garmin is ok if moving but not reliable at standstill.

bicter (Phil, Is it possible one of your devices is set to True North and the other to Magnetic North)
The other compass is on the iPhone-12. I don't know what these things point to.
I don't think a Garmin GPS has to be moving to determine true north - it is actually determining magnetic north and then applying a correction

"Garmin uses the NOAA World Magnetic Model in our code for some devices to compute True North from the Magnetic North, and Magnetic North to compute True North. Not updating the magnetic models in our products will cause the True North computed from the Magnetic North and vice versa to not be accurate, especially above the Arctic Circle".

Also, it does not affect what coordinates the GPS gives you. It only affects directions like bearing, course etc. However, when following a bearing to a waypoint with known coordinates the bearing pointer on the GPS will point you directly to the waypoint regardless

Last edited:
In your first post you mentioned its near the clothes line ?

Does it look similar to a Hills Hoist on the same axis as the north / south ?

Dont freak out , its probably just an underground alien base we worked on back in the 90's , Bloooody aliens kept getting lost at night and scaring the local elderly folks.

We got the contract to build the home location antenna disguised as a Hills Hoist , Came up a treat , you can even hang clothes on it too

🤭

but seriously now , they are glued to the concrete so maybe the guy found / stole the brass somewhere and created the assemblage to mystify visitors ?

Since it is lined up perfectly north south and PS is an abbreviation used on Permanent Survey markers, it is almost certainly that - a permanent survey marker. We use all sorts of markers when doing airborne surveys and it is quite large enough for that purpose.

PS (permanent Survey) markers come in all shapes and sizes
https://www.kerbmarkers.com.au/product/survey-marker-permanent-qld-approved/
https://wilmorelandsurveying.com/surveying-services-western-slope/aerial-photography-land-surveyors/

Last edited:

Latest posts