what detector to take to Scotland?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have over 30 years experience in metal detecting for gold but not for relics apart from messing around a bit down the beach with an old gold bug that I have. I am thinking of going to visit a friend in Scotland and wouldn't mind doing some detecting over there. So, all you experienced guys - what would you take if you were me?

Cheers
Stingray

The XP Deus is by far the most popular detector in the UK for working stubble/ploughed fields, though any detector with fast recovery speeds and selectable frequencies or multi-frequency (Equinox) should fit the bill. Having the ability to run a higher frequency will tend to more suit the lower conductor thin hammered coins and small Roman coins vs say a detector running a single lower frequency.

Essentially any area of previous habitation will have you dealing with the issue of plenty of iron contamination, hence why fast recovery speeds will be advantageous and outright depth may be a secondary consideration.

So I guess a shortlist should include:
XP Deus or XP ORX
Minelab Equinox
Makro Multi Kruzer or Nokta/Makro Multi Anfibio

Things that you can't buy - luck and good permissions. I hope you do well and best of luck regardless of what detector you end up choosing. :Y:

Earlier this year I went to Scotland, I brought a nox800 here used it half a dozen times and sold it when I left for 600 so it cost me nothing and the person who brought it over there got it half price,winners all round

Good luck - have occupied my thoughts to this as well. I have an equinox, so it is a one sided decision for me.

Having watched numerous videos, I concluded that I would purchase a pair of gumboots and a shovel when I landed with the view of disposing them prior to returning. Thoughts are based on the whole customs digging in dirt, dirty footware, on a farm..... declaration of risks plus having to clean them.

I am also thinking a pinpointer and detector/coil can be detergent cleaned and sprayed with isopropyl alcohol and should pass a re-entry inspection, being careful to clean any grass seeds out of joints.

Keen to hear first-hand experience on customs protocol regarding machines and finds.

Thanks very much for the responses guys, it certainly has given me food for thought. I certainly hadn't thought of re-sale over there Peko and it would help overcome some of the potential customs snags coming back home that Wally69 pointed out. Thanks too Goldpick - very useful insight and advice - very different to gold prospecting.
And mud. Didn't really think of that, but I guess chuck-away gumboots is the go.

As luck would have it, I read xcvtor's post recommending Deus XT, googled the machine and black and white coils etc, then went for a fish down the beach and met a guy down there who was using a Deus with a black coil, so I got to see it in the flesh for the first time. Surprised by how tiny the control box was, and the battery is in the coil, that's a concept for me... also means the coil would have to be in hand luggage with the Li battery inside!? But overall there is nothing to it size and weight wise so good for travelling.

I will let you know how I go if I end up making it over there. How did you go over there Peko?

Cheers
Stingray

Thanks very much for the responses guys, it certainly has given me food for thought. I certainly hadn't thought of re-sale over there Peko and it would help overcome some of the potential customs snags coming back home that Wally69 pointed out. Thanks too Goldpick - very useful insight and advice - very different to gold prospecting.
And mud. Didn't really think of that, but I guess chuck-away gumboots is the go.

As luck would have it, I read xcvtor's post recommending Deus XT, googled the machine and black and white coils etc, then went for a fish down the beach and met a guy down there who was using a Deus with a black coil, so I got to see it in the flesh for the first time. Surprised by how tiny the control box was, and the battery is in the coil, that's a concept for me... also means the coil would have to be in hand luggage with the Li battery inside!? But overall there is nothing to it size and weight wise so good for travelling.

I will let you know how I go if I end up making it over there. How did you go over there Peko?

Cheers
Stingray
Hey Stingray,

I know this is an old post from 2019 but am heading over to Scotland myself maybe next year ( 2023 ) and was wondering how your trip went?

Have found out that all finds of historical significance must be reported and will be either returned or a reward offered and beaches don't require permission to detect.

Thinking of hitting Culloden battlefield and the beaches around St Ninian's Isle where the horde was found.

Any advice would be welcome.

Greg

Hi all, I have over 30 years experience in metal detecting for gold but not for relics apart from messing around a bit down the beach with an old gold bug that I have. I am thinking of going to visit a friend in Scotland and wouldn't mind doing some detecting over there. So, all you experienced guys - what would you take if you were me?

Cheers
Stingray
If I were you, I'd be taking a 7 weight good quality fly rod, the salmon in the Lakes and Locks in Scotland are really big, large nimf 🪰 flies should do the trick and it would be worth your while to pay for a good experienced guide.🐟🎣

It intrigues me how most of us here who use Minelab PI machines would be unlikely to consider anything else in our search for gold. Why would they not be successful over in somewhere like Scotland?
PI machines are better at finding targets than any VLF machine and I think maybe the reason VLF machines are used in preference for treasure hunting is their ability to handle EMF interference and rubbish signals but are there areas where the PI machine can be used to display their advantages.
My thinking is that probably most people over there would be using a VLF and maybe a decent PI machine might just find something the VLFs miss.
I am sure that overseas treasure hunters and their VLF machines may also be more expert at what they do than gold hunters like a lot of us, so why try to attempt something they are better at?
Just a thought about doing something different.

Last edited:
Hi Pennypincher, turns out I never made it to Scotland so sorry I can't help you. But I'd still like to some day, I reckon it would be great fun - good luck mate and let us know how get on!

It intrigues me how most of us here who use Minelab PI machines would be unlikely to consider anything else in our search for gold. Why would they not be successful over in somewhere like Scotland?
PI machines are better at finding targets than any VLF machine and I think that the reason VLF machines are used in preference for treasure hunting is their ability to handle EMF interference and rubbish signals but would those problems be insurmountable?
My thinking is that probably most people over there would be using a VLF and maybe a decent PI machine might just find something the VLFs miss.
Just a thought about doing something different.
Firstly, PI machines are NOT "better at finding targets than any VLF machine", in fact the reverse is true, as noted by Bruce Candy himself when the VLF-based GPZ7000 was released. What PI machines are good at is avoiding the loss of depth which mineralisation causes for other VLFs and since gold in Australia is usually associated with high iron mineral levels in the soil, that feature gave PI's a big advantage here.

Secondly, from videos I've seen of British treasure hunting, a major problem is the proliferation of metal targets. Civilisations using metal have been living and hunting and fighting there for thousands of years since the Bronze Age. Their conflicts have raged all over the UK, hence the numerous hill forts, castles, abandoned townsites, etc. The best of these locations for relics, will often present multiple signals for each coil swing, so effective discrimination is essential. Multi-frequency VLFs in particular shine in these conditions, as they provide not just discrimination but also a means of target identification that can help lessen needless digging.

Grubstake, After doing more reading it seems that a VLF machine can air test better than a PI machine something I had always assumed was not the case, so thanks for pointing that out and must stand corrected there.
I had actually assumed mineralized ground operation In my statement and assumed that even in Scotland all the ground that man has been living and fighting on for millennia is not that benign that might convey any depth advantage for VLFs everywhere.
Again with rubbish discrimination your point is taken. It is undoubtedly an area where VLFs shine. My point there however was that treasure hunters have probably thrashed many historic sites and just as if we were heading out to a thrashed goldfield in OZ, would we just go over that old thrashed ground with the same capability and technology as others have done many times and possibly more expertly before us or do we try something different?

As Brit, Just a follow up on some the posts here. For firstly, don’t think you can turn up and detect anywhere you like. At the very least you need the land owners permission. Secondly, any area with great historical significance is likely to be “protected” and no detecting allowed unless part of a pukka archaeological dig. Thirdly, There are laws concerning treasure finds…they differ in different parts of the UK so you need to check. Fourthly, if you want to take home any relics or coins over a certain age ( I think 50 years?) you will need to apply for an Export License…Getting caught breaking any of the above laws could mean having your detecting equipment confiscated and or a fine and in a worst case scenario, jail time..

Latest posts