What Car, what brands do you trust for the Outback?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

While our plans for the dream of Australia are getting closer, the topic of cars is also coming up unavoidably.

At this point I would be interested in the opinions of those of you who know the country best O:)

Which manufacturers and vehicle types do you trust? What about spare parts?

Target: 1year Australia, Outback, No limits

Models we found so far which look promising are:

As Camper:
- Toyota Hilux
- Toyota Troopcarrier
- Nissan Navarra

As Car only with trailer (Example: PMX Soft Floor Trailer)
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Nissan Patrol

Our budget for this topic (car, insurance, taxes, camping equipment, etc) is 30.000$.

All tipps are very welcome! :)

Thank you,
Oli

Find a good 4.2 diesel Toyota which is well within your budget. If something does go wrong you'll get parts anywhere.
Many other vehicles will do the job just fine but in the event of a break down Toyota would have to be the easiest to source parts for when remote.

I used to have a 4WD, but found I only had the need for one, once.
I now drive a 2012 Hyundai Imax petrol as a work van and lightly converted for camping.
Unless its raining etc, normal 2WD will get you every where on groomed or semi groomed dirt roads.
I roll at a quad and I am 4WD'ing
The van has heaps more practical benefits and room then a 4WD.

Also keep in mind many remote places you can't get petrol, it's diesel only. If going remote, like outback WA what ever you get make sure it has good ground clearance and suitable tyres.

Thank you for your answers so far, much appreciated.

@madtuna: yes, we will only focus on diesel. Not only that - as you say - diesel is more available, I also think that the engines are much more robust compared to a petrol engine.

@Decoy: thanks also, but since we plan to visit every possible place without restrictions I don't want to rely on gambling with a 2wd :)

I have a Toyota Prado petrol
Great 4x4s
But if I could , I would trade it for a Toyota Landcruiser 4.2 lite diesel in a heart beat ..
As Tuna points out Toyota parts are easy to get any where and diesel is available in even the most remotes places.
:Y:

3lt engine works a whole lot harder than a 4.2 to drag a similar rig around. Plus the added advantage of interchangeable parts with the cruiser utes that are everywhere in the outback.

How true.

A lot of the problems now a days is fuel problems.
Reliable fuel can be an issue so you want something that can digest crap fuel strained through your mums undies.

madtuna said:
How true.

Reliable fuel can be an issue so you want something that can digest crap fuel strained through your mums undies.

And that is exactly why my remote travelling car is a petrol. Never had an issue with fuel availability, gets 1000km from a
tank and will go many places that a heavy landcruiser or patrol wont get to.
Parts are cheap and it costs $50 for an oil filter and quality oil every 12000km.

Shep said:
madtuna said:
How true.

And that is exactly why my remote travelling car is a petrol. Never had an issue with fuel availability, gets 1000km from a
Parts are cheap and it costs $50 for an oil filter and quality oil every 12000km.

hmmm. Which one exactly are you using?

I use a 2 door wrangler. Brilliant car, powerful, tough and very cheap to maintain.
210kw and 116L fuel capacity, electric lockers. Magic car.

1578403898_922f4ce3-4e5f-422b-8f9f-d2932be7cbc7.jpg

General_Hawkins said:
Shep said:
madtuna said:
How true.

hmmm. Which one exactly are you using?

cotton undies work fine , the very fine lacey ones are very slow for petrol to run through the cloth , and other problem , sometimes my mum does not wear undies.

Hi Oli

How many people will be in your group ?

Pick of vehicles below i think Toyota Troopy , You will find over 1 year of travelling you will keep buying more things to carry and the smaller vehicles like Hilux or Navarra are less likely to return you home with extra weight.

Some tips we would give;

carry an EPIRB , they are very cheap now compared to human life
if your vehicle breaks down in outback australia , never leave the vehicle to try to walk somewhere for help.
carry lots of water.
fit a GPS tracker in the vehicle to prevent theft losses , it happens now and then.

General_Hawkins said:
Hello everybody,

While our plans for the dream of Australia are getting closer, the topic of cars is also coming up unavoidably.

At this point I would be interested in the opinions of those of you who know the country best O:)

Which manufacturers and vehicle types do you trust? What about spare parts?

Target: 1year Australia, Outback, No limits

Models we found so far which look promising are:

As Camper:
- Toyota Hilux
- Toyota Troopcarrier
- Nissan Navarra

As Car only with trailer (Example: PMX Soft Floor Trailer)
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Nissan Patrol

Our budget for this topic (car, insurance, taxes, camping equipment, etc) is 30.000$.

All tipps are very welcome! :)

Thank you,
Oli

Latest posts