What are YOU doing right NOW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh 5 psi without bead lockers is pushing it eh? (hmm maybe in sand, not so much unexpected side wall pressure??)

I didn't stop until I was back across the railway line and both tyres looked flat but there was enough air to keep them in place. I didn't measure the pressure but I kept deflating until there was a very slow airflow. It was that or be prepared to spend the night on a backtrack and face the heat tomorrow. It's amazing how much difference tyre pressure makes in soft sand. I've had to do a similar thing before in a LandCruiser on standard skinnys on the beach. Any reduction in pressure helps but it's that last few pounds that really makes the difference of whether you stay there or get out. You often find damp sand down a bit but that stuff yesterday was dry and loose as far as my tyres dug and it doesn't help when you have a ladder frame engine and transmission protector that is only 200mm off the ground when the tyres are inflated.

Check out the length of that roadtrain in the photo above. They seem to get bigger and bigger.

Just a hint.
Many (most) railway crossings will have a phone number on them (usually on a sign or on one of the equipment cases). These are for reporting faults. Providing there’s mobile coverage, if you ring that number, they’ll generally be able to give you a rough estimate on how long the crossing will be blocked. None of the companies like blocking crossings and interfering with the public, so you can be sure they’ll be doing their absolute utmost to reopen it.
Please, please, please do not drive around the booms or lights (even if there appears to be room). you’ve no idea what a train will do to your car, truck, 4wd etc.

I didn't stop until I was back across the railway line and both tyres looked flat but there was enough air to keep them in place. I didn't measure the pressure but I kept deflating until there was a very slow airflow. It was that or be prepared to spend the night on a backtrack and face the heat tomorrow. It's amazing how much difference tyre pressure makes in soft sand. I've had to do a similar thing before in a LandCruiser on standard skinnys on the beach. Any reduction in pressure helps but it's that last few pounds that really makes the difference of whether you stay there or get out. You often find damp sand down a bit but that stuff yesterday was dry and loose as far as my tyres dug and it doesn't help when you have a ladder frame engine and transmission protector that is only 200mm off the ground when the tyres are inflated.

Check out the length of that roadtrain in the photo above. They seem to get bigger and bigger.
I once saw a test where standard skinnys (as you called them) were tested & compared in deep sand, to high-end up-market (and much wider) 4wd tyres. When deflated correctly for the situation, there was virtually no difference between them. And the ”skinny’s” are often cheaper, more readily available and often with stronger sidewalls.
The critical thing, which is the tyre “footprint”, was the amount of tyre in contact with the ground, when measured from front to back (and not as many people think, from side-to-side). Proving the tyres are deflated correctly, and then the vehicle driven appropriately, it’s amazing what you can get away with, and how much difference it makes.

Someone else may know, but I’m not sure that “bead locks” are legal on Australian roads.

I'm fighting with Telstra. Well half the battle is just trying to contact them. The 132000 number tells you to use the MyTelstra app. The app doesn't work, it comes up with a silly face saying "something went wrong, try again", that just gives you more of the same.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk M6 wireless modem that is stuck in Ethernet mode. If you enter through settings it says Ethernet OFF. If you enter through Power Manager it says Ethernet ON. If you enter via the web ip address it says Ethernet OFF and nothing seems to change it. Netgear say it's a hardware problem but it has to be replaced through Telstra and that's where I am now :mad:

To power off or reset the device: 1. Hold down the Power button for 5 seconds. The Power Off/Reset menu appears and you are prompted to power off or restart the device. 2. Tap Power Off to power off the device, or choose restart to reset the deviceI suppose you have tried this:

Have you tried a hard reset of the modem @Moneybox

The whole thing has been hard. Yes I've probed the reset button, I've gone "factory reset". I've been through it with Netgear and now the useless mob from Telstra. If Netgear say it's faulty then it's faulty. It's set in Ethernet mode if you enter through power manager it is set in Ethernet OFF in settings and on the web login page. It can't be fixed by tampering with it. Telstra are saying that the Telstra Store at Midland Gate shopping centre are a third party so Telstra don't want to help even though it must be covered by Telstra warranty.

I just came in from settling the new fish in.Mine.jpg

I went fishing this afternoon and came home with 13 new spangled perch. I wanted more but didn't want to risk losing these in the heat. All made it home ok so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Well if Telstra supplied it as part of the service then it's up to them to rectify the problem.

Telstra are saying because it's not on contract they can't help. I bought it outright at the Telstra store so they say that store is a third party so I must go back there.

Latest posts