What are YOU doing right NOW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, yes 🫠.

I recently drove to Perth to bring Mrs M home after her eye operation. We came home in her van and left mine there. Now she’s back for more medical so I brought her down and will return in a couple of days with my van 😊

But I will be buying LPG too 😏
Hi Phil, Just add a little compressed air to the mix and then you have got yourself a hot burner...Regards Ron

Right now; I just got hungry!!
Butter chicken and roast vegies via cast camp oven over newly lit fire coming up.
Sunday currently 16° with slight westerly.
New camp, 4hrs detect 3x .22 leads, 3 boot tacks, 2x rust with very noisy ground.
Swapped out the Mono for the 15" detech DD.
Here 1 month....

Attachments

• 20221127_140312.jpg
    20221127_140312.jpg
    12.7 MB · Views: 0
Right now; I just got hungry!!
Butter chicken and roast vegies via cast camp oven over newly lit fire coming up.
Sunday currently 16° with slight westerly.
New camp, 4hrs detect 3x .22 leads, 3 boot tacks, 2x rust with very noisy ground.
Swapped out the Mono for the 15" detech DD.
Here 1 month....

It sounds like if the DD gives you Double D'gold you won't have too much..... ;)

Right about the the old pissheads Gav but definitely a horse or donkey shoe, a mate told me they used Welsh ponies back in those days so it might be a pony shoe.🐎
Dave happy to go with you on that as the nail holes certainly match horse shoe nails and not a boot shoe tac. Read about the Welsh ponies years ago being used to haul the coal trucks underground and were used here also for the same job. 👍
Poor buggers wouldn't have had much of a life :(

Pit Pony.jpg

Reckon the horseshoe shaped plate would not actually be a horse shoe as regardless of the size of the horse, horseshoes are more circular ie don’t have straight sides.
Donkey shoes are a possibility as they are generally smaller and images show that they do have that straight sided shape but, but also the sides would probably be wider In dimension. The use of donkeys in the goldfields would however be relatively rare although not unknown.
Horseshoe shaped steel reinforcements of the shape and size found were used by early miners as reinforcing steel plates for their heels. I have found similar myself and always thought that was what they were.
If found near a puddler where horses and donkeys may have been used, that could be a clue. Unfortunately I can’t remember where I found mine.

Dave happy to go with you on that as the nail holes certainly match horse shoe nails and not a boot shoe tac. Read about the Welsh ponies years ago being used to haul the coal trucks underground and were used here also for the same job. 👍
Poor buggers wouldn't have had much of a life :(

View attachment 6112
My old man started working in coal mines in Wales as a 12 year old kid, followed his old man as a coal miner as they did in those days, he ended up with acute emphysema by the time he was 30 and it eventually killed him, I bet those poor ponies suffered too.

Right now I'm sitting beside the old Yalgoo railway station waiting for dark. I don't like driving at dusk because there are too many wild animals out there. This area has herds of donkeys and they do a lot of damage if hit.

Yalgoo.jpg

I got out early about 4:20am and went for a walk for a couple of kilometres because I was going to be behind the wheel for the rest of the day. I left Perth and headed to Geraldton because I wanted to pick this little Jason Recliner up as well as my saw bench.

I wasn't counting on being delayed by a broken down railway train loaded with coal.

Train.jpg

It just had to go up in flames right on the level crossing so all the traffic came to a grinding halt with no sign of it clearing any time soon. I checked out Google Maps and found a way around it.

Bogged.jpg

That might have been easier if I'd had 4WD but the sand seemed bottomless. After digging it out by hand, no shovel, I deflated the front tyres to about 15psi. It just moved about 200mm forward and 100mm down.

Then I moved five bags of potting mix and a bag of cement from behind the rear wheels to in front of the front wheels. I dug out under the engine and front suspension and deflated the front tyres right down to perhaps 5psi and the back down to about 15psi. With that it just jumped right back on top and took me the next couple of kilometres to the next railway crossing :)

I pumped the front tyres up to about 30psi and travelled into Mullewa to pump them all. I've only got a couple hundred more to go so hopefully I'll be home tonight.

Latest posts