What are YOU doing right NOW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that.

On a less sombre note I was prospecting near Ballark in Victoria, southwest of Wallace, and I found an old overgrown racetrack in the bush. As a jockey you probably know of the famous 1890 Melbourne cup winner Carbine ("Old Jack"), who won 30 principal races in New Zealand and Australia and who sired other winners such as Wallace, named after the stud owner who had a Lerderderg stud. Well, carbine used to train on this track. His bones went to Melbourne Museum and are now on display in the Australian Racing Museum and Hall of Fame in Melbourne. A strange feeling, standing there alone on that overgrown track....

1662694792202.png
1662695331728.png

Attachments

• 1662694413181.png
    1662694413181.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Feeling miserable. Lousy weather at Daisy Hill today cold, overcast, breezy constant drizzle all day so far. No chance of even a bit of gardening let alone detecting. Forecast for much the same even worse for the rest of week.
Trying amuse myself looking at some of my old finds. Couple here are interesting. A nice bit of dendritic (moss) gold and an almost spherical nugget.
When I found the round bit it very nearly went into my rubbish bag.59D30779-6C9D-4089-8634-64A9DC00DC81.jpeg

Feeling miserable. Lousy weather at Daisy Hill today cold, overcast, breezy constant drizzle all day so far. No chance of even a bit of gardening let alone detecting. Forecast for much the same even worse for the rest of week.
Trying amuse myself looking at some of my old finds. Couple here are interesting. A nice bit of dendritic (moss) gold and an almost spherical nugget.
When I found the round bit it very nearly went into my rubbish bag.View attachment 4564
From memory, a study at the turn of the 19/20th C found that spheres tend to represent rounded octahedral gold crystals - apparently it helps if they start that way because it means they they start off equidimensional. A lot of moss gold that I have seen is secondary gold from the weathering zone above ore bodies.

Latest posts