Wenlock / Batavia Goldfields information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was certainly on our list when we planned our pre-covid trip. I' don't know if we'll get there now but we are heading for the Coburg Peninsular in September/October this year if all goes to plan.

I will be spending 5 or 6 months in Weipa working this year and was wondering if anyone had spent any time prospecting in the Wenlock area. There was some activity there back in the day and because of the remoteness I think it's worth some investigation. The builder I work for has put some time into studying maps and archives of the place and has come up with some prospects but any extra info would be great. Cheers, Rick. A couple of spots to mention are Iguana Mountain and Chockablock Creek.

Hi kemjak57,
Thanks for that.
I found a map on the Net that shows a number of locations both North and South of the Wenlock River.
There are names such as Tunnel Gulley, Golden Unit, Weisse's Gully, McLellan's Lode, Larsen's Creek and White Heather.
It appears that the best way to get to Wenlock from the South would be to follow the Developmental Road then take the Portland Roads Road to Wenlock.
Does that sound right and if so, do you have any knowledge of the present condition of the Portland road? Since it runs to the substantial township of Lockhart River I expect that it will be well travelled in the dry season but dodgy in the wet.
The condition of roads up there can never be taken for granted and fore-warned is fore-armed. Any information from locals is valuable.
Cheers,
Grey Panner.

Latest posts