Vinegar

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I found this old ACME advertising plaque last week which was very rusty,almost unrecognisable.After a bit of googling I decided that soaking in vinegar was the go.Soaked it in vinegar for about 4 days,changing the vinegar twice.It definitely lifted some of the rust
because the liquid turned a very dark brown colour.
BEFORE.
1535954035_image.jpg

AFTER 4 DAYS SOAKING
1535954116_image.jpg

AND AFTER A HIT WITH A ROTARY TOOL AND A RUB WITH OLIVE OIL.
1535954211_image.jpg

This is the best it is going to get I think,at least now you can read what it says "ACME"Polishes Both Sides At Once" Just wondering,does anyone think that a soak in molasses would take it to another level?

Its cool, very rustic looking. Cant help thinking of that bloody coyote when I see ACME though.
As I read the post it was going through my head, wonder if he should try molasses hehe.
If you have some handy it might be worth it, make it a conservative soak though, check its progress regularly.
The S in polishes and ONCE look well worn, so it might be a gamble?

Eldorado, nice sign. we use molasses mixed one part molasses to ten parts water in large plastic tank to disolve rust of car panels and bits like early beam axles where stub is seized tight. A fortnight later stubs are free and rust cleaned up. No dangerous acids and just water clean up. Your item would come out rust free, just beware it may leave more deeper pock holes where rust has eaten in further. Also wash of oil first before dunking. Good luck

AussieChris said:
Its cool, very rustic looking. Cant help thinking of that bloody coyote when I see ACME though.
As I read the post it was going through my head, wonder if he should try molasses hehe.
If you have some handy it might be worth it, make it a conservative soak though, check its progress regularly.
The word "once" is definitely toasted,I might give it a soak in some molasses for a few days,haven't got much to lose.So with the molasses,is the stuff from the supermarket OK to use?

Eldorado said:
AussieChris said:
The word "once" is definitely toasted,I might give it a soak in some molasses for a few days,haven't got much to lose.So with the molasses,is the stuff from the supermarket OK to use?

or get molasses from a stockfeeds/horse feed place. but they generally sell it by the bucket. depends how much you're going to use over time.

molasses works but it is very slow . the old engineer that used to own my building in his 90s now used it for years on stuck irrigation pumps and engines on the river bank that he serviced . engines that had not turned over for years were brought back to life with the stuff but a long soak over quite a few weeks i believe was required.i think he watered it down a lot too so that it would penetrate . from memory about 10% mol to 90% water.
johno

Latest posts