Victorian National parks "Gemstone fossicking only"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally speaking, fossicking in National Parks is completely off limits UNLESS specifically listed as such. If you get caught fossicking in a National Park that is not specifically listed for fossicking, they can confiscate your equipment and you can be fined quite heavily.

Can I ask which National Park you are referring to? It'll help us provide a more accurate answer to your question.

Also take a look at this link https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=125 regarding state by state rules and regulations.

Gah, cant post link, from Vic miners right faq

26. Is prospecting in State Parks permitted?
Generally NO. However, prospecting is permitted in limited areas in the following Parks:
Beechworth Historic Park
Enfield State Park
Kooyoora State Park
Paddys Ranges State Park
Reef Hills State Park
Steiglitz Historic Park
Warrandyte State Park

Gemstone only fossicking:

Cape Liptrap Coastal Park
Cape Schanck Coastal Park
Mornington Peninsula National Park
Otway National Park

Bottom bit.

I wish we were allowed to fossick in National Parks in NSW, everything seems to get locked up around here eventually.

TheSilentBugler said:
Gah, cant post link, from Vic miners right faq

26. Is prospecting in State Parks permitted?
Generally NO. However, prospecting is permitted in limited areas in the following Parks:
Beechworth Historic Park
Enfield State Park
Kooyoora State Park
Paddys Ranges State Park
Reef Hills State Park
Steiglitz Historic Park
Warrandyte State Park

Gemstone only fossicking:

Cape Liptrap Coastal Park
Cape Schanck Coastal Park
Mornington Peninsula National Park
Otway National Park

Bottom bit.

re the bottom bit ..... back when i was a "billy lid" (aka "a kid") and only 50 short years ago :lol: GEM HUNTING was a huge hobby and the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria where i lived delivered up quite nice Garnets. Also Sapphire, Ruby and Zircon too!

Point Leo beach was one of the hot spots for fossickers where the gem bearing gravel strata could be found just 2 feet beneath the sand. There is (was) a gold occurrence at Tubbarubba / Bulldog Creeks and these creeks like others on the peninsula also delivered up fine gems but those outside the NP are no longer accessible unless you approach the land owners.

Dont take a backhoe onto the beach and i'm sure you'll be fine .....

onebob

Hi Casper.
I am sorry but fossicking for Gems is Banned at Point Leo. People are welcome to pick through the wash where some of the local storm water drains flow over the exposed gravel beds but digging into the strata, the cobblestone banks, or the creek beds, is strictly prohibited. Most of the area is where the cobblestone banks are, is a registered site of
geological significance and overlays exist to protect these areas.

Pointleo said:
Hi Casper.
I am sorry but fossicking for Gems is Banned at Point Leo. People are welcome to pick through the wash where some of the local storm water drains flow over the exposed gravel beds but digging into the strata, the cobblestone banks, or the creek beds, is strictly prohibited. Most of the area is where the cobblestone banks are, is a registered site of
geological significance and overlays exist to protect these areas.

Hi PL Thanks for the correction....

After now looking on geovic i see that although Crown Land the "land management" overlay is different on that stretch of coast and that it is outside the the National Park.

Casper

Latest posts