Victorian Maps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Looking for maps of areas (mainly Victoria at the moment)
Where to look for gold, places where actually allowed to prospect.
I'm a newbie at prospecting, I have been out a few times around Ararat area.
Just looking on state land.
I have a mine lab gold monster. Have had not much luck yet,just found a lot of rubbish and lead shots :argh:

Geovic is an amazing resource. There are a number of Youtube videos which clearly describe the steps to successfully use it. I live in Northern NSW and before the dreaded disease hit I had a great trip to Whipstick and Chewton. I purchased John Tully maps from Minersden Bendigo. Very helpful staff! Mate .. there is so much information out there. You just need to research it! Good Luck ...

Just got my first 2 Doug Stone maps from Minersden delivered in the post today. Heathcote and Talbot/Amherst maps. Thinking Heathcote will be my first visit onto the fields but want to spend a week or two going over geovic to see what differences there are.
Everything is coming together, just need to find where the nuggets are hiding :D

There are a fair number of resources, those mentioned already, i.e. Doug Stone (DS) maps, you can get individual maps of each area in VIC or the cheaper in the long run is to get the book. John Tully (JT) also produces similar maps of various areas to prospect. Be aware, both state that they do NOT imply access or all crown land or what type.
Apart from Miners Den, Coiltek Gold Centre in Maryborough and if you Google detector shops or Gold detectors and ilk, there are others that may stock them.

It also depends on how you want to view the maps, i.e hard copy paper based, computer/laptop or GPS such as Hema. Most of my resources are GPS/Hema, tablet or laptop, but I so have the DS book and some of JTs. Some of the resources I use are;

Doug Stone & John Tully. - Either are a good beginners guide to where gold has been found, but not necessarily permission to do so. Both are reasonable accurate as maps as I've digitised my books to GPS.
Vicmap 1:25k topo - Good for highlighting public land, but a little out of date. But a great aid driving tracks using Hema GPS and finding many areas
Geovic (screenshots then calibrated to GPS) - Good for historical and geological info and can download PDF & print.
Google map (screenshots then calibrated to GPS) - Good for looking at terrain sat images especially surfaced areas. Can be printed

This one I'll treat alone - Parks Web Victoria, here's the link
https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/things-to-do/fossicking-prospecting
Here you can get PDF maps detailing where in those areas you can and can't detect and other info. Here's the list;

National Parks - bendigo, castlemaine, chiltern, heathcote & st arnaud
State Parks - Ararat Hills, Beechworth, enfield, kooyoora, paddys ranges & steiglitz

Re State forest - you can pretty well camp and detect in any state forest, excepting if there is an active mining lease and maybe fire ban or burn off.

Probably not what you need right now, but I also use Ozi3D with all my electronic maps as it gives a good representation of topography (hills n gullies, lol) but you need elevation data to run in the background.

I won't detail other stuff at this point, but they include Geological maps, historical to name 2. By this time you are probably suffering from info overload, my apologies. :)

Looking at heading out to Corner Country (Tibooburra) for a run. Anyone know of useful map/s for this area. Thanks!

Avenza Maps, an app, has free georeferenced State Park maps (ones referenced by Condor in post #7), and they have georeferenced Doug Stone maps you can buy. They have Topo and GSV maps you can buy too.

On this topic, does anyone know a way to buy physical printed geological maps for victoria? Specifically the 1:50,000 series

condor22 said:
I'm from S.A. I did : "Google" If it's available look through this site or phone them on Monday. :)

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/geology-exploration/geological-survey-victoria

Yeah I know where to find the maps via that site, I have them electronically from there - but there's no way of purchasing physical maps from them... and after a metric tonne of googling it looks like the only way is to get it printed yourself... I was asking here just in case someone knew of a seller who was just bad at listing their business on google lol

Latest posts