Victorian Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see quite a few Cameras hidden in bush around Nth NSW tracks... But they are watching for something else, Not Fire-bugs..... :koala:

Last trip up to Cloncurry, another 4x4 wasn't watching where they parked... With-in 5 min up it went... Lucky I was behind them and saw it start and used my Extinguisher to save their 4x4...

You just never know when you may need one...

LW...

30 years` ago a bloke came out of a side road and T boned my XY Falcon. Pushed the bonnet up to the windscreen and pushed most of the dash into the seats.
I was doing about 80kmh ,so it was a fair hit. Got out and the engine bay was on fire, I always keep an extinguisher in the car. Couldn`t get the bonnet open ,but managed to get the powder in to put the fire out.That accident wrote my car off. Absolutely bleeding over that car. Rust free and pretty much perfect. What do you do ? That`s life ,hey ?

Gilly47 said:
speaking of vic fire season, have the CFA volunteers been replaced with another system in vic???

ray

As far as I know not yet Ray, haven't kept up with it to be honest.

Gilly47 said:
speaking of vic fire season, have the CFA volunteers been replaced with another system in vic???

ray

No ,mate . Still the same reliable CFA. Plenty of people wanting to join and it is hard to get in , i`m told. Up my way they send multiple units to call outs to fires in the summer to keep ontop of them and if they look like getting out of control, planes and extra trucks and slip - ons are called in. Dozers are sometimes used to quickly make a fire break . The fire towers in every district are regularly manned and i think they are manned everyday during fire season. I have heard them logging on early in the morning and logging off before sunset I have nothing but praise for these blokes. They went over to the P25 radio control system a few years` ago and that has been more reliable. It uses digital and analogue frequencies. I got my scanner programmed by the bloke who does the CFA radios and have the fireground channels in it. Came in handy when the Haddon bushfires went through last year because there is a major road leading to Haddon that was blocked off and more importantly, a bloke i work with, his Mum lives there and the power was out ,so the fireground channel gave him important updates as it was happening.
My local CFA bought their own truck using funds raised over a number of years. There are some politics going on with the CFA ,but the reality of what goes on out in the field and how well they do their job , is unchanged .

FOZ

Yep, the CFA are pretty good. I know of a few blokes who are trained in wildfire and i am not a CFA member ,so i don`t know if the metro firey`s are trained the same way or not.

There are sure to be CFA members on here who can fill us in.

Either way , firey`s are like gods . And these days they are a bit more advanced from when my Grandfather used to be in it putting out fires with hessian bags.

FOZ

Loddon Shire has declared the 2021 fire season
1605237423_img_20201113_141439.jpg

Municipalities within the shire
1605237453_img_20201113_141413.jpg

Be vigilant with your camp fire if it's cool to touch it's cool to leave :Y: :beer:

Gilly47 said:
We herd via the grapevine that the Govt. were trying to put the CFA into the Metro system.

sounds like you guys are in control

ray :fistpump:
I don't know about the CFA but in SA the bureaucracy and red tape in the CFS is becoming ridiculous. I got a letter today saying that only farm fire units who have radios and this and that are allowed on the fire ground. Also the people operating them have to have correct ppe etc. I know they are making an effort to become more professional and probably avoid being sued somehow but they will end up turning good help away and get in the way of people helping they're neighbours out when time is of the essence.

Here's the FDI for Monday 25th obviously subject to change and no TFB declared yet but most likely it will be for the whole of the state.
1611383673_img_20210123_173221.jpg

On Thursday and Friday the amount of holiday traffic on the road with most kitted out for camping was mind blowing heading north and south. Whether a TFB is called or not the dangers are wind everything fuel related cured and camp fires. I've got the fire unit on the ute and have changed my schedule so I can be home for most of Monday. Any FDI rated severe or above on any day worries me to a point but on a long weekend does pose further risk unfortunately some people are ignorant to the point they are a danger to themselves and everyone else.

Well no sooner had I hit submit on my above post and this popped up on my phone :| I'm tipping careless behaviour for this one :mad:
1611385095_img_20210123_175558.jpg

RM Outback said:
Well no sooner had I hit submit on my above post and this popped up on my phone :| I'm tipping careless behaviour for this one :mad:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7093/1611385095_img_20210123_175558.jpg

It's actually a fire at Flat Rock camp ground in the Tallarook state forest :| thankfully the wind isn't a problem today. Hopefully we don't get a reignition on Monday that with the predicted Nth Easterly winds in the morning will put us right in the firing line with nothing but forest and tough hilly country between. I have faith the volunteers will make certain its dealt with properly :Y: I know most of them, used to volunteer with them.

This just popped up on the horizon, lightning strikes are happening to the north and north west. It's either in Puckapunyal Army base or around Tooborac to the west. Thankfully the rain isn't too far behind it.
1645862020_img_20220226_184849.jpg

We don't have anything to worry about, this won't take long to pull up.

Never thought I'd see a Total Fire Ban with Extreme fire danger rating declared for the Mallee all the while in West and South Gippsland along with East Gippsland being determined as No Rating 😳 Just another anomaly with the unusual weather we've experienced over the past 12 months. Might be a long time before we see this again.
Screenshot_20230102-130303_Chrome.jpg