Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking for some easy access spots we can visit with family in Victoria ( we are located in Ballarat) I have heard there are spots where it is easy to find bits of smokey qrtz without having to dig? Additionally when are you required to get permission to collect and how / who do you contact to organise.

Many thanks for any advice

G'day Carolint553 welcome to PA :Y: can't help you with location but here's a link to Earth Resources where you can purchase your Victorian Miners Right which is required for every adult 18 & over to have in their possession whilst prospecting.

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/licensing-approvals/recreational-fossicking#:~:text=A%20Miner's%20right%20allows%20you,online%20or%20through%20an%20agent.

Anyone younger than 18 wanting to prospect doesn't require a Miners Right but must be in the company of an adult who does hold one.

Have a look at joining the PMAV (Prospector's and Miners Association of Victoria) there may be a branch close to your location. They have field days and weekends that you would be invited to join, nothing beats learning from those in the know :)

PMAV website
https://pmav.org.au/

Good luck when you get the opportunity to get amongst it all :beer:

I have just crossed the Victorian boarder from NSW, I have a couple of months to travel. Currently in Mallacoota and wondering where nearby (within 100km) to fossick for gems and crystals before I head into gold country?
:pickshovel:

DeadNiki said:
I have just crossed the Victorian border from NSW, I have a couple of months to travel. Currently in Mallacoota and wondering where nearby (within 100km) to fossick for gems and crystals before I head into gold country?
:pickshovel:
Once you hit Gippsland, there is boggy creek. I have seen vids on you tube, I would look if passing through.

Latest posts