Using an elliptical coil sideways

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the stated contention and respect your statement.
The only way to check whether that is correct is to set up an experiment to prove one way or another and that can be done. I am still openminded, think there is a little more subtlety in using ellipticals and intend to try to set up such an experiment.
you can easily check your experiment with an elip coil you have simply by burying a nugget (or lead) to the maximum depth you can hear the target, with the side to side swing motion, then simply use the push pull motion for the coil forwards and backwards over the same target and see if there is any difference, easy to satisfy yourself that way, most of the rest of us know that there is no difference in depth or target signal in either direction

Like all coils an elliptical coil is a compromise. If we start with a 12" round coil as the reference & look at an "equivalent" elliptical coil of 14"x9" ( 14+9=23)/2=11.5" ( near enough to 12" ), the much tighter radii on the narrow ends of the elliptical significantly improve small gold performance over an area roughly cup sized at each tip BUT small gold performance is decreased on the long sides, which have a larger radius than the round coil. Max depth at centre of coil on a bigger target is better than a 9" coil & not as good as 14" coil, in fact it is a little lower than a 12" coil maybe equal to a 10.5" coil.

The sensititivity improvement of the tip vs round coil is related to the elliptisicity ie 10x5 coil is 2:1 whereas a 9x6 , 12x8 & 14x9 are all 1.5:1. There will be a bigger difference in tip sensitivity from an 8" round coil to a 10x5 than to a 9x6 , but the 10x 5 will have a lower maximum depth, closer to a 6"coil whereas the 9x6 max depth will be closer to a 7" coil.

The elliptical offers the ability to find smaller gold than the equivalent round coil but to truly cover the ground properly with the two sensitive patches you need to do about a 70% overlap & pretty much noone does that unless they are scouring a patch. At least you have a chance of small gold on a normal partially overlapped swing and you dont have to change coils to scour.

If you turn the elliptical sideways you neither gain nor lose anything on maximum depth but you are now covering the same bit of ground twice with the sensitive patches and have reduced your total forward distance covered per swing by 30-50%. I would say that you havent achieved anything you couldnt have achieved by doing a 50% overlap with the coil in its usual orientation.

PS: I hate to think what most people googling "sensitive patch" are going to make of this post :)

PPS: Much luck with overlapping sweeps with the Stellarvue?
Thanks XLOOX for that well considered reply. The explanation for the "sensitive spot" is now much clearer and in the interests of decorum, I will refrain from making any further comments on that.
Overlapping with the Stellarvue is definitely on my agenda.
After a day of nil detecting results, I can turn this magnificent beast to the wonderful goldfields skies and see where millions and probably billions of tons of gold are being produced in supernova explosions in adjoining galaxies.
Gives me hope that a few grams may come my way tomorrow here on earth.

Attachments

• stellarvue SVX102T.jpg
    stellarvue SVX102T.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks XLOOX for that well considered reply. The explanation for the "sensitive spot" is now much clearer and in the interests of decorum, I will refrain from making any further comments on that.
Overlapping with the Stellarvue is definitely on my agenda.
After a day of nil detecting results, I can turn this magnificent beast to the wonderful goldfields skies and see where millions and probably billions of tons of gold are being produced in supernova explosions in adjoining galaxies.
Gives me hope that a few grams may come my way tomorrow here on earth.
Nice !!- I have simple Mak - Frac sandwich combo for home but the binos & NV are the ticket when the vistas are large outback.... and funnily enough as prospectors we are always looking at the ground for the source of the gold - but actually we should be raising our eyes and looking nova

Attachments

• 20180601_133727.jpg
    20180601_133727.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts