UHF Interference with detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did a quick search but couldnt find an answer..

Will a 5W handheld UHF radio (in standby and not transmitting or receiving) interfere with a PI detector?

Thanks for any advice,
Tony

I haven't noticed any yet, but only ran both together a few times

My Spider senses would say "no" they should not, considering they are on way different frequencies, and while you detect the UHF would not be transmitting, but waiting for a signal.

Also air separation from the coil would help.

BUT there may be components within the circuitry of the detector that may "harmonise" with your UHF components that are energised, although not transmitting.

I very much doubt a UHF handheld would do anything to a PI, not mine, but I dont own anything 'high end' PI anyway.

Have you tested it ?

As Tath said, have you experienced this ?

If it has happened, did you try it with another 5W UHF ?
As it could be that one radio with leaking, or out of standard components.

Just my Spider senses guess....
We use UHF radios all the time, never had any issues.

:cool:

Thanks for the replies..the only reason I asked is that I plan to utilise a handheld UHF when detecting in the future. Handy to contact base camp should the need arise. I didnt want to drop a few hundred dollars and then find out there are issues between detector and radio.hence the question.
Thanks
Tony

The Green one echoed my thoughts exactly.

Yes, There is a fair bit that goes on in a Hand Held Transceiver these days.

Just go spend some fairly decent coin on one.
Forget the cheap stuff.

Besides, Who yaps on a 2 way when detecting. LOL

And Kudo's for the forwards thinking about carrying one. :Y: :Y:

radarhorizons said:
Hello.... thanks for this thread....as a novice female, I have just bought 2 5w uhf units for when I am out bush.... I almost got lost last time I went out.... no phone coverage.... scared myself! So, take a unit with me, and leave one with someone else.
Happy Hunting

Good practice is to regularly check that your 2 way radio is still on the agreed channel, ie channel 30.

Some models dont have a channel lock so sometimes you can bump the 2way to a different channel, ie channel 31 or channel 29, when detecting and not realise it.

Can be frustrating or even dangerous when your detecting buddy cant be contacted and vice versa.

:Y:

Radar horizons, um- a walkie talkie won't find your way back to the car, but it will call for help, & being lost is not knowing where you are, & is no fun, so a call for help when you don't know where you are?? I suggest a $130 Garmin Etrex GPS, i carry both. Cheap,easy to use, mark your car position & you will never be lost again. Take it from someone who just turns around & I'm lost, its cheap peace of mind. Ol'Codger. :)

ol'codger said:
Radar horizons, um- a walkie talkie won't find your way back to the car, but it will call for help, & being lost is not knowing where you are, & is no fun, so a call for help when you don't know where you are?? I suggest a $130 Garmin Etrex GPS, i carry both. Cheap,easy to use, mark your car position & you will never be lost again. Take it from someone who just turns around & I'm lost, its cheap peace of mind. Ol'Codger. :)

Agree 100%......like the American Express ad says..."Never leave home without it" :)

I'd also add that, depending on the kind of country that you're in, UHF range (don't believe the manufacturers blurb) can be way short of the brochure figure.

Trees, gullies, dense scrub, rock outcrops....they will all reduce UHF range, and in some cases completely eliminate reception.

The etrex10 is cheap, accurate, and simple to operate.

You can just take a fix on the car, or camp, and then switch off.......or you can leave it running as you move around.

Battery life is good, and if you leave it running as you move around you can take fixes (waypoints) on spots you might want to revisit at a later date, or take a fix on a feature you'd like to avoid in future, like an obscured vertical mine shaft.

If I had to choose between my etrex 10 and my Uniden hand-held, I'd take the etrex 10 every time.......but I take both :)

I also take a PLB as well....but that's another story. Very handy if you're in rough, remote country....bloody hard to call someone on the radio if you've just had a bad fall, or lost an argument with a red-bellied black.