Tyre Gauge Testing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my brother drives a log truck which has a 'live' air system to the drive tyres complete with a pressure management system in the cabin. (Most truckies would be familiar with these I think) to deflate/inflate on-the-go when they are getting in to or out of the bush.
I wonder when this will become standard or an option in most main-stream 4WDs!

Ded Driver said:
my brother drives a log truck which has a 'live' air system to the drive tyres complete with a pressure management system in the cabin. (Most truckies would be familiar with these I think) to deflate/inflate on-the-go when they are getting in to or out of the bush.
I wonder when this will become standard or an option in most main-stream 4WDs!

It is used on most Military Vehicles from the size of the H1 Hummer upwards to, And it's replacement. :Y:

I have also found the Kinchrome Digital gauge accurate.
I was initially hesitant to buy a digital gauge as I wasn't convinced they were as good or better than a good analogue.
I bought mine about 3 years ago & its great, smaller & easier to use than a chunky gauge with short hose, & even smaller than the stumpy rigid stem analogue.
downside is that it has an auto time-out off about 1min., & then you have to wait for it to wake back up if you're not quick enough.
The stumpy rigid Hella analogue remains my favourite.

Simmo said:
shite, can it live inflate/deflate whilst moving?

Simmo, Get ya self a Unimog some have it as standard and it is an optional extra on other models, Very cool Idea even more so when you think of having to Air up them 42" Tyres, Thank goodness we have evolved past the Stirrup or the foot pump :awful: :8

Ded Driver said:
I have also found the Kinchrome Digital gauge accurate.
I was initially hesitant to buy a digital gauge as I wasn't convinced they were as good or better than a good analogue.
I bought mine about 3 years ago & its great, smaller & easier to use than a chunky gauge with short hose, & even smaller than the stumpy rigid stem analogue.
downside is that it has an auto time-out off about 1min., & then you have to wait for it to wake back up if you're not quick enough.
The stumpy rigid Hella analogue remains my favourite.

Yeah mate I hear ya, Try sticking that 3 1/2" ARB in ya pocket, ya strides would end up round ya ankles, lol :eek:

I just been looking up Racing ones, Cheap at $800 bucks ]:D

Simmo said:
shite, can it live inflate/deflate whilst moving?
yeah Simmo by 'live' I mean live, on-the-go. these systems have a semi-rigid (reinforced heavy rubber) air hose around the outside of the wheel & into a rotating joint into the centre of the hub
Note, they run tubeless tyres on the drive axles.

One thing I would like to add regarding Gauges and that if you are running pressures around 15 psi then get a gauge that goes from 0 to 30psi and if your pressures are around 30psi then get one that goes up to 60 psi and the same for 60psi = 100/120psi the reason for that is that they are most accurate in the middle of their range not when you are maxing them out,

The ARB Low Pressure gauge goes up to 50psi and the gaps between each psi are large enough for you to set your pressures at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 psi where most digital ones have 0.1psi resolution,

When you start to buy the Racing Pressure gauges the Annie Log ones have 1/4psi readout and the digital ones have 0.1psi readout but they have an accuracy of 0.2psi or 0.3% which is why their top of the line one costs $740.00, and Yes I would like one but I prefer their Annie Log Gauges best, they kind of remind me of when the world was not in such a Hurry. :zzz:

How about some Icelandic Toyota's Prado's LC120s and 78 series Utes and Hi-Lux's with 38 and 44" Tyre's costing about 2500 to 3K per tyre running Tyre pressures between 1psi up to 10psi. they build the best Trucks over there. The average Tyre size over there is 38/44x15.5. On15 or 16" rims

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sDhi4Ew3Ys

that's nuts hey! where they need 44" tyres coz they have 40" of snow to slog thru.
bit like driving in deep sand dunes, but worse, as snow is more slippery.
And I can imagine frozen fingers whilst airing up, or down.
That's just the scenario where a live air system to the axles would be great!

Ded Driver said:
that's nuts hey! where they need 44" tyres coz they have 40" of snow to slog thru.
bit like driving in deep sand dunes, but worse, as snow is more slippery.
And I can imagine frozen fingers whilst airing up, or down.
That's just the scenario where a live air system to the axles would be great!

Yeah Crazy Guys for sure, They also have an F-350 and a Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 on 54's, On those wheels they have a normal metal sports/mag wheel valve and a taller one that has a lever they flip it and it just drops the pressure, They built the Trucks that they use at the South Pole.

You will get a better look see if you look up TOP GEAR Arctic Challenge on you tube.

Here are some Toyotas and a Ford Excursion and Defenders on 38s and 44s in Iceland,

https://expeditionportal.com/the-trucks-of-iceland-2/

Rockhunter62 said:
Not trying to hijack the thread but here is my Cooper ST Max. :N:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/7504/1539424233_20180909_075740-800x600.jpg

Now running Hankook Dynopro AT's :Y:

Cheers

Doug

I think I have worked out what happened here because I have been comparing These Cooper STT's Mud Terrains, I notice that the 265/75/16 has a 123/120 load Rating which is very high but it only has a "K" speed Rating but the 31/10.50x15 has a 109 load rating but a "Q" speed which is much higher speed rating, at one time the 31/10.5x15 was to go to Tyre size but with coopers it has a low Load rating but higher speed rating where as the metric sizes have "Much" higher Load Ratings but if you use the 265/75/16 it has a lousy speed rating not even reaching the National speed limit in some Areas/Counties, It might have the highest Load rating but it makes no sense to fit such a Tyre

Based of Cooper Discoverer STT Pro Mud Terrains here are their Load Ranges and Speed ratings

31/10.50x15 = 109 = 1030kg per Tyre and Q = 160 kph,

265/75/16 = 123/120 = 1550/1400kg per Tyre and K = 116 kph

265/70/17 = 121/118 = 1450/1320kg per Tyre and Q = 160 kph This one has the best average Specs.

If a person needs to fit 265/75/16 Tyres the BFG Mud Terrains are a much better option because the have combined a Higher Load Rating with a High Speed Rating,

BF Goodrich T/A KM2 Mud Terrain

265/75/16 = 119/116 Q, 119/116 = 1360/1250kg per Tyre and Q = 160 kph.

265/70/17 = 121 = 1450kg per Tyre and Q = 160 kph which is the best out of all 5 Tyres. But it also matches the Cooper in this size. But doing a search this size appears to be the most expensive Tyre out of them all listed. '$329.32c over here.

Rockhunter62 said:
Thanks for that RR,

I was running the St Maxx in 245/75R16 which were rated at 120Q.

Cheers

Doug

Cool, well that has a 1400kg load and a 160kph rating, that should never of happened because the combined rating of all four is 5600kgs.

When I ordered the cheaper Red Deflators I also ordered a Tyre Gauge and Deflator Kit which includes a protective box a tyre gauge that goes up to 100psi and 4 Deflators in a pouch that look a lot like the staun deflators that Ded Driver posted, The Quality is right up there, As with the other Gauges I had to remove the Bezel/Glass to put the needle the right side of the stop post, This appears to be how they ship them because they all came shipped the same way which is a quick and easy fix. The cost of this Kit was $22.63AUD including free shipping from Norway :( No I am not joking, They did Actually come from Norway.

I tested the gauge and it is spot on so I'm pleased about that, Then it was time to set up the 4 Deflators, I set the first one pretty quick, hat was easy with the use of the ARB Low pressure Gauge, No 2 was a bit of a task because I was determined to get them absolutely spot on then I worked out a quicker way of setting them and got them all done in a couple of minutes,

Although Deflators are really good, Nothing dumps Air like the Ezi-Deflator or the cheaper Red copies "which" I swear are made in the same place. If you see these on sale in Aus they are worth the money and do the job :Y:

1540382959_def_kit.jpg

1540383025_def_kit_gauge.jpg

1540383083_def_kit2.jpg

1540383137_def_kit_deflators.jpg

I just bought a very Low Pressure Tyre Gauge by American company Longacre Racing that goes from 0 to 15psi in 1/4Lb increments it comes in a fancy metal box and Glows in the dark, The version I bought is supposed to be 3,1/2" but it measures close to 3" and the rubber surround measures close to 4", I have not tested it out yet but it looks pretty Racey as you would expect, One of the main selling points for me was the size and the fact that it came in a padded Alloy metal box, Turns out the box is only padded in the lid although it is nicely made,

Comparing it to the ARB Low Pressure Gauge P/N ARB508 the ARB is an Awesome buy for about $27.15c and it actually measure 3,1/2" + the rubber surround = 4,1/8th inches. and goes from 0 to 50psi - 0 -350kpa, or 0 - 3.5 Bar and in they are well below the limits of Accuracy, they are incredibly accurate, If I hadn't needed a very low pressure gauge I would not of bothered spending all that money, but I wanted the last word in gauges so it is what it is, ARB508 = $27.15c, Longacre 3,1/2" 0 to 15psi $147.47c, Yep you read it right, Some of their gauges cost in excess of 500 bucks

I will compare the two at very low pressures and see how they fare, The Longacre is very well made but their dimensions suck. I was going to buy the 2,1/2" version which is 2/3ds of the price but I am glad I didn't because their sizing is all up the creek, If you don't need that 1/4psi readout the ARB is the best Low/Mid pressure gauge on the market Bar None, I have 8 of their Gauges and all of them are bang on, One did read 0.2 or 0.3 to half a psi low but that was because how I was placing the chuck on to the valve so it was my fault for being hesitant when pushing the chuck on the valve. Also person should always use a gauge where their pressures come within the middles of the Gauges range as with all gauges.

1540577048_arb_lp.jpg

http://www.longacreracing.com/produ...prodid=7306&pagetitle=Magnum™-3-½”-Tire-Gauge

1540576951_longacre_0_to_15psi.jpg

Latest posts