Turning a letrap sluice into a high banker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Straring to turn my letrap sluice into a high banker. I really like the letraps shape and size but I find them a bit too flexable with out being braced. With this aluminium frame it becomes completely rigid but still very light weight. Will post some more pics when finished.
1642365717_screenshot_20220117_065647.jpg
1642365726_screenshot_20220117_065704.jpg

Hi Mate,

your LeTrap sluice looks quite good. Drop riffles do work and your sluice is like the Canadian Angus McKirk drop riffle sluices. Also easy to clean up...no mats and no bits to remove.

Only thing I cant work out...how does the water get into the head of your sluice...that is...can it be used as a river sluice then blocked off to use as part of a banker??

I have a fairly large (but lightweight) Angus McKirk sluice (The Alaskan) that had a similar problem in flexing a bit. I fixed the flexing by pop riveting some aluminium strips across the sluice which also made it easier to carry.

MikeB05 said:
Hi Mate,

your LeTrap sluice looks quite good. Drop riffles do work and your sluice is like the Canadian Angus McKirk drop riffle sluices. Also easy to clean up...no mats and no bits to remove.

Only thing I cant work out...how does the water get into the head of your sluice...that is...can it be used as a river sluice then blocked off to use as part of a banker??

I have a fairly large (but lightweight) Angus McKirk sluice (The Alaskan) that had a similar problem in flexing a bit. I fixed the flexing by pop riveting some aluminium strips across the sluice which also made it easier to carry.
if you want a river sluice you have to cut the top end out of it then as you mentioned it will need to be braced across the top about a quarter if the way down. I dont live any where near a fast flowing river atm so will just fit spray bars and a screen or maybe just spray bars and hand feed it after classifying the material seperately. This makes sense if you are digging gold some distance away from your water supply as pre classifying gives you much less material to carry back to the sluice.

Did a little bit more today. Have a couple of 18 mm garden hoses plugged in to test it with only one of them half on as the gravity pressure here is a little extreme and I dont have enough spray holes or boiler box/shroud to handle much water. The multiple 25mm threaded fittings are so I can relay the water up to or down from a classiffyer screen ( yet to be built ) or run it off a pump. The 18mm hose fittings can connect on these to the allow for quick assembly or dissconnection for set up and clean up. I am trying to make this thing as versatile, easy to use and portable as possible with out sacrificing the ability to process alot of material. Might have to add a wheel if I want to cart around a pump and big battery. Thats my desire and current thought bubble anyway.
1643108671_screenshot_20220125_204246.jpg
1643108738_screenshot_20220125_213521.jpg
1643108894_screenshot_20220125_204132.jpg

Goldfreak said:

Looks like a nice compact setup but you might have to make sure you have it level from side to side to get the best results.

Yes, I probably should have taken more care to set it up better. The bucket of gravel comes from a spot I have never seen any one bother prospecting. I can see why now :playful: I hope to take it to Victoria when I get a few days off and find some better material.

Goldfreak said:
Yes, I probably should have taken more care to set it up better. The bucket of gravel comes from a spot I have never seen any one bother prospecting. I can see why now :playful: I hope to take it to Victoria when I get a few days off and find some better material.

Through a known quantity of leadshot in any dirt you wash to gauge how you're set up is working, alter if needed :beer: This way when you get to Vic you'll know angle of the dangle and have a level of confidence :Y: :D

Latest posts