Try a Tesoro & you will be wrapt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After using many detectors over the years , try a Tesoro ' they perform !

Bought a Fisher F75 from the States when they were first realised , cost about $1200 to get it landed here , guess what after heaps of testing ?
The most horrible difficult detector I've ever used !

Took a big loss on that crap machine .
Bought it off Kellyco , had so many problems with their particular staff member when trying to sort stuff out :rolleyes:
And that female is still there :rolleyes: years later !

They are great detectors, simple, sturdy, well built, and with depth and recovery speeds rivalling if not surpassing many modern detectors. Though a bit lost on a generation that have grown up screen based, auto GB, VDI multitone detectors vs knob operated, single tone detectors unfortunately. Unreliable supply in Oz certainly hasn't helped their popularity, pity as I reckon if they had more exposure, a lot more people would be using them.

My first ever florin was found with a Vaquero, which was fun, relatively easy to operate, and quite powerful detector to use. Ended up selling it when in financial difficulty, but still currently have a Tejon in the arsenal. I should make an effort to get out and use it a bit more. ;)

1455038479_img_20160210_035703.jpg

1455037918_img_20160210_034736.jpg

Well Minelab ditched the Sovereign and Musketeer, and the only knob based unit in their line-up left is the Eureka Gold, and underwater Excalibur.

What I love about a knob based unit is the immediacy of it. Look down and you can see all your settings. Want to make a change? Just reach down and tweak it. Ground balance is out?, just tweak it a little - you're not limited by the digital resolution.

I think knob based machines are making a comeback. Blisstool, Kellyco's Nokta AU Gold, Vista Gold, the Detech detectors and probably others. But, I think that a hybrid of knobs/switches/screen is the way forward as it offers the best of all worlds, and a lot of machines have gone this route already.

I have a Vaquero and Bandido II umax, admittedly not getting much use since I've been playing with the Nokta's, but they are good reliable workhorses, that can produce the goods.

1455059726_bandido_finds_small.jpg

Im a Big Fan i have the Vaquero Tejon Cortes Sand Shark and Lobo
The vaquero and i talk the same language which is a big advantage and why im a bit down on some testers that take a detector out a couple of times and write a detailed report on it
Like with all detectors you have to translate the language that they speak and even changing coils changes how they speak to you
Personally i can't leave home without the vaquero even on the goldfields it can handle the hot ground but i don't use it for gold i have a minelab for that
I spent a few years with VLF detectors on the goldfileds and even though i thought i was good i should have listened to the experts yes i got gold but now i have to go over all the ground again as ground penetration with a VLF is limited
I must admit though the lobo was my favourite VLF gold machine and with the flick of a switch i used to go over where the minelabs were umming and erring but i could discriminate out all the iron except some big flat bits of kero tin and save a few mates from digging a lot of nails

Waiting for the Cazador to come out would love to get my hands on one but i feel they are still a way off

old hand said:
I have had 2 Tesoro's a Dingo that I found gold with and a Outlaw both good detectors I think that I liked the dingo the best regards john :)

The Dingo is sort after , made to handle Aussie mineralisation , always wanted one but they are almost never offered these days 8.(

Even the Dear leader made out he had one ' notice the deep holes !

Latest posts