Troubleshooting GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.... This may have been talked about already but if not I hope someone can help. so I took my GPX 5000 out for a swing a few weeks ago and noticed that the sound coming through my head phones (genuine Minelab headphones) was jumping from what I guess to be normal to fairly quiet. So thinking they where buggered i bought a set of ear phones thinking that would solve the problem. Now with the new earphones the sound jumps from relatively normal to ear piercing loud. Could this just be a minor issue with the headphone jack in the battery or a more serious fault with the machine? And any advice on what I should do next.?
thanks in advance Johnny.

Hi Johnny,

Check the 5 pin output from (at) control box to battery is tight and secure without movement.

Swap over to another curly cord to test this is not the problem.

Swap to another battery to check test yours.

Change to a different coil as a coil cable can break / part and short a signal.

Slightly wiggle the general components of the detector, whilst running and motionless, to see if you can recreate the problems effect

Cheers wilko.

Last edited:
Were the new headphones Minelab ones or other? The reason for the difference in sound between them ie “normal to fairly quiet” for the Minelab ones and “relatively normal to ear piercing loud” for the other set, just could be the result of different impedance ratings for the headphones.
I believe the Minelab Koss headphones have a rating of 100 ohms, if the other phones have a different rating than that they can sound louder (not necessarily better) which would be consistent with the effect you noted. It would just mean that both headphones are ok just doing the job the are designed to do.
Wilkos suggestion about checking every plug, socket, cable, component in the detector signal train is the way to go.

Hi Johnny,

Check the 5 pin output from (at) control box to battery is tight and secure without movement.

Swap over to another curly cord to test this is not the problem.

Swap to another battery to check test yours.

Change to a different coil as a coil cable can break / part and short a signal.

Slightly wiggle the general components of the detector, whilst running and motionless, to see if you can recreate the problems effect

Cheers wilko.
Thanks for the reply Wilko, I just noticed that there is slight movement in the 5 pin output from the battery to the curly cord. I will take it out this weekend and try everything you said to try narrow it down.

Cheers Johnny.

Those headphones always break, I purchased adaptors from jaycar so I could use any headphone, I mostly used iphone ear buds when not using the speaker

Were the new headphones Minelab ones or other? The reason for the difference in sound between them ie “normal to fairly quiet” for the Minelab ones and “relatively normal to ear piercing loud” for the other set, just could be the result of different impedance ratings for the headphones.
I believe the Minelab Koss headphones have a rating of 100 ohms, if the other phones have a different rating than that they can sound louder (not necessarily better) which would be consistent with the effect you noted. It would just mean that both headphones are ok just doing the job the are designed to do.
Wilkos suggestion about checking every plug, socket, cable, component in the detector signal train is the way to go.
Hi Hawkear, the new earphones I purchased through pilbra prospecting I think it was, I'm not 100% sure if they are Minelab or not though. And yeah I'm Gunna take it out this weekend and check all connections.

Thanks Johnny

Latest posts