Today I Saw a Native Animal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a native animal but I thought I'd post it to give a perspective of how many of these pests must be in the river, there's thousands, maybe even millions of these little carp along the river where I walk every morning and there's millions of them Screenshot_20230130-173019_Gallery.jpg and big ones also getting washed up on the beach, hopefully these little buggers will end up there too.

Hi Dave - what river is that? East coast I imagine?

Am I the only one that clicked the 'play' icon knowing it would not play the video but still clicked.... :)

It's not a native animal but I thought I'd post it to give a perspective of how many of these pests must be in the river, there's thousands, maybe even millions of these little carp along the river

Is that where the Murray River meets the Coorong. Hopefully the mongrels die soon. They are in almost every river and stream in Victoria. Never thought I'd see them as far up the Howqua River as I have plus the Jamieson etc.

Hi Dave - what river is that? East coast I imagine?

Am I the only one that clicked the 'play' icon knowing it would not play the video but still clicked.... :)
It's the River Murray at Goolwa mate, it's about 10 km from the mouth. I'm not sure what happened with the video, I'll try to re-load it or post some photos. Cheers from Dave

Your right mate, I did load a screen shot, it says the video is too large to be loaded.

Today I was standing at the vice making an awful lot of noise with the angle grinder and spraying sparks about when I caught sight of something down by my feet.

Bungarra.jpg

This bungarra stopped no more than half a metre from my feet while I turned the grinder off, talked to him while I pulled out my phone and took a couple of photos and then started the grinder again. He just ducked his head and steadily slipped under the lathe and out of sight.

My dear old dad told me a few things about "bungas".
If I came across a rabbit Warren and sighted a Bungarra. Do NOT shoot! The bungarra that is.
Bungarras were known to live in warrens, constant source of food. You've heard the old saying; "Breed like rabbits."
The Bungarras survived and the number of rabbits under control.

It's not a native animal but I thought I'd post it to give a perspective of how many of these pests must be in the river, there's thousands, maybe even millions of these little carp along the river where I walk every morning and there's millions of them View attachment 7506 and big ones also getting washed up on the beach, hopefully these little buggers will end up there too.
I saw dozens and dozens of them a while ago, all big ones too from 5 to 10lb, all breeding in the shallows in a frenzy, they were going crazy.
IMG_20221017_135108_466~2.jpgIMG_20221017_135102_972~2.jpgIMG_20221017_135109_231~3.jpgIMG_20221017_135049_614~2.jpg

A shotgun with steel pellets will take out a few. My dad used to fish that way up and down those rivers when he was young. I think it works better in the deeper water.
I reckon Goldie might have used a stick of gellie 🧨

As a kid working down the South East of SA, we came across a school of huge Redfin in Mosquito Creek, near Narracoorte, they were schooled up breeding according to an old local farmer, we went back the next day with a 22 and shot about 20, dam good eating those Reddies.

I had a pelican creep up and scare the crap out of me last week.

I didn't get a pic of the pelican but I did take a photo of a spot that enabled me to detect up as well as down.

Storms had tipped a few trees back lifting the dirt in a big flat sheet. I though I might find a few pre-decimals under there but was out of luck.

Found a neat cave too.

20230218_143629.jpg

20230211_155332.jpg

This little magpie comes to our side door every day to sing for her breakfast. She will stay there singing and looking at us until we give in.

Our locals in a park across the road will see us walking down the street. They'll hop along behind us for 50 meters to get a cat biscuit snack each.

They know we keep the cat biscuits in the letter box for them and will also arrive en masse when they hear the letter box door open.

Latest posts