Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got busy in the shed and repurposed one of my hardwood walking sticks that I’ve collected over the years.
I thought that my Baz’s crack scratcher could do with a custom handle, so out with the saw and chisels.
This gidgee wood is fricken tough.....it is so dense it sinks in water.
B71F2DE7-E541-412B-839B-239F0834F306.jpeg4C9833AD-331A-46C9-A79A-F3BA16252024.jpeg
Can’t wait to rip into some crevices up Tibooburra soon.65626AE5-EBB8-4AB2-A357-58165C17C30A.jpeg

So its been a while since I've been here and a lot has changed. I sold SteelPhase so I've had a bit of time.
In the last 12 months I've been making this. She's just about ready for paint.

Shes about 8.5m long, 6mm bottom, 5mm sides and 4mm topside.

I've added a few geeky things ie auto deploy outriggers, lowering rocket launcher (because I'm short), a seat that rises at push of a button to become a table etc etc.

So far I have done everything solo.

Once its finished, I'll make a video on the complete build.

IMG_5113.jpgIMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5111.jpgIMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5092.JPG

View attachment 2584
Made over the weekend. Fly mesh sieve for panning gold. It’s my third one. Works a treat 😍
I used to make a similar sieve using old 20L plastic drums. By carefully cutting two rings from the open end, fitting mesh material over the smaller ring and pushing the larger ring over it to hold the mesh in place.
That probably is as clear as mud LoL but it does work and 20L drums are readily available to experiment with.

Tried my first bit of Ally braising yesterday, last time I braised was in high school so its not pretty as I had to figure out melt temps etc. (and never done with ally before)

This was to replace the sluice leg I lost a while back, user error. Must not have had it done up tight enough and as I was lifting it out of the fast water the kids were carrying on at the bank so I looked up to make sure they were ok. Went back for a search but it was gone. I have added the R clip to use when in fast water again to hopefully not have it happen again.

Attachments

• 20220814_132240.jpg
    20220814_132240.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
I used to make a similar sieve using old 20L plastic drums. By carefully cutting two rings from the open end, fitting mesh material over the smaller ring and pushing the larger ring over it to hold the mesh in place.
That probably is as clear as mud LoL but it does work and 20L drums are readily available to experiment with.
Thanks to Mbasko's post, I rediscovered the instructions on making a sieve from a 20L bucket, originally posted by Ag Man https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/bucket-seive.541/

Well I actually made this last Wednesday, but I bottled it today, Ginger Beer of the alcoholic variety, never tried it before but I like Ginger Beer so fingers crossed, Miss Kay likes Ginger Beer too, so if it ends up the cats whiskers I might have to fight for it.

Attachments

• 20220914_104947.jpg
    20220914_104947.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220914_104919.jpg
    20220914_104919.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220914_103142.jpg
    20220914_103142.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
****The Photobucket photos in post 68 in 2016 are defunct so have revived post for new comers.****

**2015**
Water is scarce in WA goldfields even more so now they have dismantled hundreds of windmills.
Here is another handy device for retrieving water from wells or bores if you get desperate.

It is a simple build;
(1)1 X metre of 90mm thin walled stormwater PVC
(2)Cut two flat PVC discs inside diameter of pipe, drill a series of holes near centre of the discs to allow water in.
(3)Cut a thin flat stainless steel/aluminium disc a couple of mm less than pipe inside diameter. Cut a rubber washer and glue it to disc.
(4)Press one of the PVC discs into end of pipe 25mm and then apply some PVC glue to fix it in place. Now fit the metal disc with rubber seal facing outside/end of pipe. (Don't glue this acts as a clacker valve) Lastly fit second PVC disc flush with end of pipe and glue.
Attach rope to top of pipe ensuring that when you lift it with the rope it remains vertical. Fit canvas shroud to prevent debris dropping into pipe when retrieving.
Length of rope.
Lower the pipe into the bore/well and when it reaches the water you will feel the rope go slack. Hold it at this point and when the pipe has filled you will feel the weight on the rope. Pull it up and up end the 5.5 litre of water into a bucket and repeat until you have required amount of water. (One lift is what is a daily recommended amount of water for one person)

Water Retriever 003.jpgWater Retriever 002.jpgWater Retriever 001.jpgWater Retriever 004.jpg

****The Photobucket photos in post 68 in 2016 are defunct so have revived post for new comers.****

**2015**
Water is scarce in WA goldfields even more so now they have dismantled hundreds of windmills.
Here is another handy device for retrieving water from wells or bores if you get desperate.

It is a simple build;
(1)1 X metre of 90mm thin walled stormwater PVC
(2)Cut two flat PVC discs inside diameter of pipe, drill a series of holes near centre of the discs to allow water in.
(3)Cut a thin flat stainless steel/aluminium disc a couple of mm less than pipe inside diameter. Cut a rubber washer and glue it to disc.
(4)Press one of the PVC discs into end of pipe 25mm and then apply some PVC glue to fix it in place. Now fit the metal disc with rubber seal facing outside/end of pipe. (Don't glue this acts as a clacker valve) Lastly fit second PVC disc flush with end of pipe and glue.
Attach rope to top of pipe ensuring that when you lift it with the rope it remains vertical. Fit canvas shroud to prevent debris dropping into pipe when retrieving.
Length of rope.
Lower the pipe into the bore/well and when it reaches the water you will feel the rope go slack. Hold it at this point and when the pipe has filled you will feel the weight on the rope. Pull it up and up end the 5.5 litre of water into a bucket and repeat until you have required amount of water. (One lift is what is a daily recommended amount of water for one person)

Last edited:

Latest posts