Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Digger tried cooking a Rabbit stew tonight , it was her first time to cook rabbit.
Turned out ok but not great unfortunately.

EB700355-1884-49D7-9ACF-928D1D42D48E.jpeg
My mom liked it well enough..

if any one has some tios for a sure fire tasty recipe for Rabbit , It would be appreciated.
Shot Saturday evening with the 177 air rifle and night vision clip on.
CFF87A6A-F31E-4426-95ED-C26D37808439.jpeg
Looks like a young healthy Rabbit
8C95DE18-49BE-4511-A9ED-F808E45D725B.jpeg

Head shot and dressed within half an hour , then bagged and frizen..

Last edited:
mom used the family favourite casserole recipe nucopia, and replaced the meat with rabbit yummmmm
usually the rabbit was just quartered and thrown in and baked in the oven
sometimes but not often she would cut it into eights

any family favourite casserole or stew base will work well

The Digger tried cooking a Rabbit stew tonight , it was her first time to cook rabbit.

View attachment 8834

if any one has some tios for a sure fire tasty recipe for Rabbit , It would be appreciated.
View attachment 8833
View attachment 8832

Clean & dress them asap. We used to soak them in some brine if they’re bruised (more likely when trapping), then leave them in the fridge for a couple of days. The aging in the fridge means they’re not quite so tough.
We usually roasted them in the electric frypan (salt & pepper, with some rosemary) or made “underground mutton” stew.

Today is day 2 of my Lion diet.
One meal a day
Shopping is soo easy, just red meat of a certain sort(I'm going with rump steak or beef mince atm)
Diet consist of red meat, salt, and water..... and that's it(cooked in grass fed beef rendered fat).
I can introduce some other foods after 6-8 weeks if I want to, or alternatively I can use it as an illimination diet and slowly reintroduce other foods one at a time later on and check to make sure I'm not allergic to any as I go.
or.... I can stick it out long term.
I'll let ya's know how it goes

View attachment 8834

View attachment 8833
View attachment 8832

70 years ago when I was a kid I remember that we ate a lot of rabbit ....Now, I loved mum's rabbit casserole (better than stew) ;) but I really, really liked it when every other month we'd have chicken - cos dad had won the chook raffle at work - back then probably we'd fit the description of being poor, but I never had an empty stomach :)

Last edited:
I remember many years ago in the Wimmera (when rabbits were pretty thick on the ground) we had a BIG party ....... I can't remember what for.
Anyway we had lots of people coming so I went out with a mate & shot a heap of bunnies for the upcoming BBQ. We gutted & skun them as we shot them & then when we got home we soaked them in salt & water with a splash of vinegar over night in the fridge.
Next morning I quartered & boned them out & rolled them in Tandaco Chicken mix then fried them on the BBQ. They went down a treat but no one would believe they were rabbit.
I was in the supermarket the other day & I see they still sell the same Tandaco Chicken mix ...... I hadn't seen it for ages.
Rob.