Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
several fishing reels made in Japan
All my Shimano reels are in perfect order with some maintenance once every few years, and that is even with 3 years of salt work. Abu, Jarvis, Diawa and many others - all the same care but none have gone the distance.

I’ve got a Shimano Calais from about 2002 and it is still perfect even though it has been my most used reel.

Quality in many things is definitely worth the price 👍🏻

agree with the shimano reels northeast and the(older) okuma gear
the oldest shimano is a crysalis bait caster, still going but put out to pasture with a bit tougher and stronger geared caenan bait caster replacing it
i have the saros and baitrunner egg beaters no problems with either

the okuma gear is a titus trolling reel ,that thing is a beast and you cannot kill it, all stainless body and gears with a little bit of plastic wrapping for looks ,it has broken the backbone of a 25kg ugly stick rod and back then ugly stick had stopped making a 25kg and the heaviest they made was a 15kg to replace it (ugly stick swapped it over no questions ask 👍)
i also have a okuma induron baitcaster and the only difference between it and the shimano calcutters in quality back then the induron was about $300.00 cheaper
but i have been told that some of the okuma gear has gone a bit agricultural with the smoothness of the gearing lately but still have the same tough build

Just as a side issue, I felt a lump in my throat when I heard that the Queensland Manufacturer, Alvey has been saved from closure for the second time. I have 3 Alveys of various ages and you can’t kill them with a stick or salt water for that matter. I was cleaning up the shed the other day and found a box of a dozen reels. I must have oiled them and put them away for another time. Good to find stuff I had forgotten about. The reels I used regularly are elsewhere. Cheers Mackka

yes it was sad mackka that they were to shut up shop ,i have a small collection of alvey reels also but when i heard they were shutting up shop they were put out to pasture ,i have one here somewhere from my grandfathers collection of old egg beaters and alveys, and a center pin ,weren't the center pin a world of pain untill you learnt how to use them😅
i am glad they are still around mackka

Yes mate I can remember a long time ago it was, don’t buy Made In Japan. Whether it was due to WW2 I am not sure but now the steel is exceptional quality just ask Baz about their knives, excellent steel.
cheers Mackka
Must be the WA iron ore contributing to the exceptional steel.😉

While the cat's away....... ;)

WMC.jpg

I bought a new toy, well I haven't officially bought it yet but I will when I get the invoice.

It came (will come) without a bucket. I'm going to buy or make a skeleton or rake bucket so that I can sift out the big rocks that give me so much trouble.

Rocks.jpg

These big rocks secretly slip into the big loader bucket and come as a bit of a surprize when they tumble off the top of the dryblower and wack the front of the loader.

While the cat's away....... ;)

View attachment 6455

I bought a new toy, well I haven't officially bought it yet but I will when I get the invoice.

It came (will come) without a bucket. I'm going to buy or make a skeleton or rake bucket so that I can sift out the big rocks that give me so much trouble.

View attachment 6456

These big rocks secretly slip into the big loader bucket and come as a bit of a surprize when they tumble off the top of the dryblower and wack the front of the loader.
Good onya MB, that'll make a great Christmas gift for Mrs MB, perfect for the girl that's got everything.🤣

With your solar setup be aware that you must use a "lithium compatible" controller. Most controllers have a "desulphuring" option in them and lithium does NOT like it so get a compliment controller or a a good MPPT controller with the option to turn this function off in the setup. As you and others have said, use quality components and solder every connection and it will serve you well ... PS make sure you get a big enough to controller that you can add batteries and panels in the future

With your solar setup be aware that you must use a "lithium compatible" controller. Most controllers have a "desulphuring" option in them and lithium does NOT like it so get a compliment controller or a a good MPPT controller with the option to turn this function off in the setup. As you and others have said, use quality components and solder every connection and it will serve you well ... PS make sure you get a big enough to controller that you can add batteries and panels in the future
Who are you responding to, mate? You can utilise the Reply button to quote the original post.

We picked these up from the post office on the way home.

New tools.jpg

They are not Sidchrome or Facom but they should replace those I lost out at the minesite last week :)
I got a bit carried away on the Black Friday sales but if the Discount Trader advertising was correct I only paid for the metric set at a discounted price and the imperial set was thrown in.

We picked these up from the post office on the way home.

View attachment 6720

They are not Sidchrome or Facom but they should replace those I lost out at the minesite last week :)
I got a bit carried away on the Black Friday sales but if the Discount Trader advertising was correct I only paid for the metric set at a discounted price and the imperial set was thrown in.
Love'm n keep'm clean and they will pay you back in spades 💪

I bought our youngest son a 640 odd piece Gear Wrench kit as a starter kit for his apprenticeship in heavy diesel. He's paid me back and added to it, as for my investment it's a no brainer, win win no matter what way you want to look at it. Gear Wrench by virtue of the dealership are great value for money and backed by warranty. Bought ours through Total Tools in Shepparton Vic, every time I walk in I'm treated with the utmost respect 👌not that I expect it, it's just a reassurance of how they value their customers and products 🍻 they'll serve you well Phil

it must be all the total tool shops RM ,our local (been open for not quite 12 months)
i went in with the hand piece from the mig welder that s*$^&*t itself a coupler days before christmas (bloody murphy i am going to get him one day) and while doing the paper work with one of the managers one of the young lady staff wonders over with a tray of kentucky duck on a plate in one hand and cheese cake in the other and said there is serviette's on the counter help your self now that's service

Latest posts