Today I BOUGHT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I bought something that I hope I will never need to use.
Been putting it off for way too long.

https://www.bcf.com.au/boating/marine-safety/plb

$370......No subscription required, but must register it online, pretty easy process.
It is just a "come get me, here i am" beacon, no text messages, no other use.....5 year battery life, fits inside a sunglasses, or specs case.

that's all i have dave a come and get me plb
a bit like you i hope i never need it but you never know
like my fall down the creek bank in bendigo last year it can happen

but what i don't get is that nearly everyone has it in their back pack
if you need it you may not be able to reach it in the back pack
you can all ways get a arm/hand under a torso if on your stomach but you will never reach it in a back pack if you can only move the arms

I keep my plb in the backpack, but I’ve got a knife on the hip to cut the straps if need be.
I don’t know if it’s still the case but at a apla meet years ago, there was talk about gpZs setting plbs off without the owners knowledge and was told to keep it away from the machine.
My KTI plb I own was named one of the culprits, but due for retirement this year after nearly 7years of service, I’m thinking I’ll get the gme this time round, Aussie made 6 year warranty and a 7yr battery life like the kti.

I keep my plb in the backpack, but I’ve got a knife on the hip to cut the straps if need be.
I don’t know if it’s still the case but at a apla meet years ago, there was talk about gpZs setting plbs off without the owners knowledge and was told to keep it away from the machine.
My KTI plb I own was named one of the culprits, but due for retirement this year after nearly 7years of service, I’m thinking I’ll get the gme this time round, Aussie made 6 year warranty and a 7yr battery life like the kti.
Oh shit, I forgot about gpzs setting them off! Hope mine isn't one of them

Our engineering team have loaned detectors to Kinetic Technology International and they have researched the affects of the KTI PLB and our detector, the PLB was activated when it came within 10cm of the detector coil. Although this distance is very close we would like to make sure than any customers using EPIRBs or PLBs are aware of this so that they can keep their location beacons well away from the detector coil to prevent any false activations.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/❗minelab-alert-plb-accidental-activation.35628/

It looks like it was just the KTIs, my plbs serial numbers is in the dodgy range and actually has a few more years life than I thought.
I bought it in 2018 and was thinking it had a 7year battery life, but they have a 10yrs replaceable battery, unfortunately they are no longer in business, so it’s a chuck out in 2028.

Attachments

• IMG_3874.jpeg
    IMG_3874.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Oh shit, I forgot about gpzs setting them off! Hope mine isn't one of them
Hi davent, I had the ACR I presume the same one you got. The GPZ never worried it. Carried it around for 8 years. Only went to the GME rather than buying a battery for the ACR.

I think the main thing is that the Z is not switched on left next to the PLB.

Today I bought a new phone, I've worn my old Galaxy S8 out, I've had it for years and when I bought it I used to say to people "it's a lot bloody smarter than me" but I've picked up a few tricks since then and now it's not so smart, I bought a Galaxy S23, nice phone and much smarter than the old S8, the Telstra shops are doing pretty good deals on Galaxy's and IPhones at the moment and Miss Kay said she'd pay half if it stops me winging about the old S8, bonus I reckon.😁

Today I bought something that I hope I will never need to use.
Been putting it off for way too long.

https://www.bcf.com.au/boating/marine-safety/plb

$370......No subscription required, but must register it online, pretty easy process.
It is just a "come get me, here i am" beacon, no text messages, no other use.....5 year battery life, fits inside a sunglasses, or specs case.
Dave, Can you register it for both land and sea?

Dave, Can you register it for both land and sea?
AMSA can register a beacon for up to four uses e.g. vessel, vehicle, aircraft.
However in some cases PLBs cannot be carried as a substitute to an EPIRB. You'd need to check your State/Territory laws.
For example in NSW even if your PLB is registered to a vessel an EPIRB must still be in it "If you're on open waters and more than 2nm from the shore, you must have an EPIRB." Even within 2nm, it's recommended.

WA -

In unprotected waters​

When operating more than 400 metres from shore in unprotected waters:
  • You must carry a GPS-enabled EPIRB or wear a GPS-enabled PLB. (You will have until 1 September 2028 to upgrade to a GPS enabled EPIRB.)

Onya mate, I got a new iphone14 at Christmas and it was a world beater. You can’t beat new technology, now where did i put that phone?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I very nearly bought an IPhone 15 Mackka, it was a bit dearer than the Samsung but I thought it was a pretty good price, but I went for the Samsung because I've been using them for years and I'm used to driving them, the IPhone was pretty tempting though.

Dave, I had an iphone from an employer and kept the phone and the number when i left as i had had it , the number that is for 22 years and it was just easier to transfer the info over and my iwatch could get info updated. I think i have a new Samsung in a box somewhere , never used, never opened.

Latest posts