Tile saw for cutting rocks.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i first started to look at rock saws i thought a tile saw would be ok ,but there is a few problems with them ,the main one is the gap where the blade sits is way to large for cutting rocks
it may be all right if you are cutting them in half ,but if you want to slab the rocks it is a no go
the other problem with them is the thickness of the saw blade(the tile blade is quite thick) and trying to find a rock saw blade with the same sized arbour can be near impossible at times
i don't know if andrew at aussie sapphire still sells them but he had a cheap tile saw that they had the table of a tile saw remade for rock cutting ,i had one of them for about 4 or 5 years before the motor burnt out
they were sold as a trim saw but i did slab small rocks with it ,that is probably why the motor burnt out ,a little bit of miss treatment:rolleyes: the small saws that andrew sold worked with a 25 to 1 ratio of baby oil and water mixture
if you buy a rock saw that recommends oil only(like the one in the link above )get in touch with me and i will give you the contact and order number for the oil (it is the same as what the lapidary shops sell but instead of $160.00 to $180.00 + freight for a 20L drum, the last 2 i got in september last year were $60.00 each)

Tile saws are a good cheap way when starting out..... Then when you master them, you can upgrade to a real slab or trim saw...
The gap between blade and cutting deck can be overcome by simply cutting another deck with a narrow slot for the saw blade and screwing that down on top of the factory deck...

It pays to hunt around as SS has found out with the Oil supply...

Mate has a 20" slab saw for sale for around $3k if any one is interested...

LW....

when i first started to look at rock saws i thought a tile saw would be ok ,but there is a few problems with them ,the main one is the gap where the blade sits is way to large for cutting rocks
it may be all right if you are cutting them in half ,but if you want to slab the rocks it is a no go
the other problem with them is the thickness of the saw blade(the tile blade is quite thick) and trying to find a rock saw blade with the same sized arbour can be near impossible at times
i don't know if andrew at aussie sapphire still sells them but he had a cheap tile saw that they had the table of a tile saw remade for rock cutting ,i had one of them for about 4 or 5 years before the motor burnt out
they were sold as a trim saw but i did slab small rocks with it ,that is probably why the motor burnt out ,a little bit of miss treatment:rolleyes: the small saws that andrew sold worked with a 25 to 1 ratio of baby oil and water mixture
if you buy a rock saw that recommends oil only(like the one in the link above )get in touch with me and i will give you the contact and order number for the oil (it is the same as what the lapidary shops sell but instead of $160.00 to $180.00 + freight for a 20L drum, the last 2 i got in september last year were $60.00 each)
Aussie Sapphires now sell these:
https://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/7-portable-trim-saw-to-cut-stone-tile-ceramic-glasNot sure if that's the same one sand surfer but appears to be a good starter trim saw?

I was given a cheap tile saw . It did not last long , motor burnt out . They do not like cutting thick material .

Latest posts