Thought of the Day...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was my first thought when I joined the group - I had never heard of anything smaller than one ounce being called a nugget in the 19thC literature.
Agree with you there Goldie as there was a lot more large nuggets around then. These days it's a challenge for many to even join the "One Ounce Club". Times have changed and one ounce pieces are worthy of talking about these days....the old timers certainly knew their craft.🤔

Was prospecting in the very area the HOF was found and very close to the time it was found.
That day I left my headphone cord dangling out the car door and found the jack ripped off when I stopped. Packing everything back into car after realizing my detecting was over for the day, I also left my red handled pick on the ground there.
Mates have told me that the finder remarked after he found the HOF that he knew it was his lucky day as he found a red pick just feet from the spot.
Over the years I have started to doubt that story and wondered if anyone else had heard it. Could my mates possibly be telling me fibs?

Was prospecting in the very area the HOF was found and very close to the time it was found.
That day I left my headphone cord dangling out the car door and found the jack ripped off when I stopped. Packing everything back into car after realizing my detecting was over for the day, I also left my red handled pick on the ground there.
Mates have told me that the finder remarked after he found the HOF that he knew it was his lucky day as he found a red pick just feet from the spot.
Over the years I have started to doubt that story and wondered if anyone else had heard it. Could my mates possibly be telling me fibs?
Who cares? As good a fishing story as any I have heard. Are you sure they were truly FRIENDS to tell you that?

The bit about being in the area shortly before the HOF was found is true, the bit about the headphones is true, the lost red pick is true, even my mates telling me the story is true.
I never really believed them though. Good stuff over a few beers.

The bit about being in the area shortly before the HOF was found is true, the bit about the headphones is true, the lost red pick is true, even my mates telling me the story is true.
I never really believed them though. Good stuff over a few beers.
I asked Kevin around the camp fire in Leonora, why his pick was painted red. Was it so he could find it easier. his reply was no, it was his lucky colour ........................ Just kidding you ..................;)

Latest posts