This is an Impact Mill rock crusher I built

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been making an Impact Mill rock crusher for speeding up the rock crushing process, it seems to work well and grinds the rock/quartz to fine powder in a single pass, and yes I have to break the rock down a bit to start with to fit down the 40x40 feed tube into the mill.

these are the rocks to go through the mill

after going through the mill

very fine powder now

Youtube of the Impact mill working
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/raekdwLNU_g[/video]

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/zLyDtmAzpac[/video]

cheers dave

Ive been looking at these exact same ones on YT.
Are you going to sell them, I've got an 18v angle grinder, would be great out in the field.

Gpx5000 said:
Ive been looking at these exact same ones on YT.
Are you going to sell them, I've got an 18v angle grinder, would be great out in the field.

G'day Gpx5000

Yes I got the idea from Youtube and looked at various ones, a cordless angle grinder would work I guess, but would need a few spare batteries to get a longer run time.

I just got the cheapest (Ozito) 5" angle grinder I could fined and well it has a 1200w motor and 3 years warranty for $45.00 from bunnings,I reckon you cant go wrong, and if you already have a little genny like a honda 22i or something you could run the crusher in the bush anyway.

cheers dave

I've built a new model Impact Mill chain rock crusher V2 :D :goldpan:

Built from much thicker material the barrel is about 10mm thick and the end plates are 5mm thick, it has a 25mm bright steel solid shaft with stainless steel chains to do the smashing, the shaft runs through a 25mm pillow block bearing, and the driving force is a 1200w 5" Ozoto angle grinder.

I've since changed the shaft for one I got threaded to 14mm to fit to the angle grinder, the one in the picture has a 14mm nut welded to the shaft for attaching the angle grinder

I'll give it a run over the week end and see how it goes crushing this lot.

cheers dave

hey muk, do you have a picture of yours on the 9" grinder, I was thinking something similar one day as well using my 9" grinder, but I thought I would try playing around with a 5" grinder mill first to see what works with what.

I now know that I can get the 14mm internal thread put into the 25mm shaft which is way better than welding a 14mm nut to the shaft for the attachment to the grinder.

If I was making one for the 9" grinder I would use about a 300mm barrel instead of the 210mm for 5" grinder model, I guess most of the other components would be the same and the end plates would be 350mm x 350mm to cover the bigger pipe barrel.

PS: and a bigger inlet tube :D

PSS: and the other thing is the bigger 9" angle grinders only spin at 6000 odd RPM's and this 5" Ozito spins at 12000 RPM's so it's spinning at twice the revs of the bigger grinder

But not sure how to work out the difference of distance travelled between a bigger Dia barrel compared to the smaller Dia barrel with a lot faster rev speed, maybe the bigger barrel with slower speed revs works out ok from the feet/second of travel at the outer edge

cheers dave

Will send a photo when I get home Im out on a shutdown at the moment.When I use mine I dont turn it on and leave it running I just use the grinder trigger and turn it on and off as required works great I also have a 75x75 RHS feed chute so you can put bigger rocks in cheers Muk (PS) there will be some photos of mine on here somewhere maybe DIY thread?

yes Muk I found a few pictures of your setup, looks good, and also found another one made by Mike 678, all look impressive, and a bit different to mine, but hey they all crush rocks to get gold :goldpan:

cheers dave

Mackka said:
Would the Grade 8 wear the stainless links quicker?
Mackka

I don't know trial and error for now

Ok I ran a couple hundred grams of rock through it and it looks to be hitting the heads of the bolts, another 10kg will really tell

Nightjar said:
Great result Dave, sure will save you a lot of time and effort.
**Curious why you have the trigger locked on and you power up and down with the plug?**

yes, glad you asked, it is because the trigger won't self lock on like plenty will so that is my solution :) for $45.00 for the angle grinder I guess you get that :D

but is all seems to work well and makes short work of the rock :D

cheers dave

Latest posts