Thin copper Laps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have four thin copper laps but have no idea what grit has been used on them. They are old and look a bit dirty and some have slight corigation marks. I have taken one and started to lap the surface with grinding paste and will work from 80grit down to 1200 or better. I think they should have an even shine and not a patchwork of dark and light. They all seem to have been scratched as the method of charging was to scratch the surface. I'll use the roller bearing technique. I am new at this so please excuse my ignorance. Take care

MarcusH said:
I have four thin copper laps but have no idea what grit has been used on them. They are old and look a bit dirty and some have slight corigation marks. I have taken one and started to lap the surface with grinding paste and will work from 80grit down to 1200 or better. I think they should have an even shine and not a patchwork of dark and light. They all seem to have been scratched as the method of charging was to scratch the surface. I'll use the roller bearing technique. I am new at this so please excuse my ignorance. Take care

You could get them trued up on a lathe, but some don't like doing them. Or you could start with 600 wet and dry on glass and work up to 1200. Be sure after this give it a good clean with a scoura and detergent. I charge mine with 1200 and this is my pre-polish

PS be sure to clean after using wet and dry or you WILL get scratches.

This thread should be in the lapidary section. Thin copper laps are designed to be 'throw-aways' too thin to be re-machined but can be trued up on glass with wet-n-dry, better to replace with new than expend energy trying to sort them out, at least new will be true and you can decide which grade of diamond you wish to use for pre-polishing which is what these laps are used for.

Latest posts