The Weekend Prospector TV series (Original - Tommy)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XIV said:
Sandta said:
Wishfull said:
They seem to have got rid of that Tommy bloke thank goodness.

Too late ... damage done :cloudy:
No they haven't.
The production company also does the merv Hughes fishing show.
And Minelab is there major sponsors.
The whole idea for the weekend prospector is the cell detectors and the whole thing is an advert for my lap and their sponsors.
You are not going to learn anything from the show.

Kane, Are you working on a production? Phil

It is what it is. (Long advertorial)

Target audience is for the masses not experienced prospectors. We know gold is really not that easy to find.

At least he is out having a go.

You can see how much he is learning along the way between Series one and two.

I ve never seen inside the Coiltek factory and that was awesome to see.

Its something Australian prospecting related to watch, which is always good thing.

I ve also seen some locations talked about here on the forum, Whipstick, Jupiter Creek, WA, Beach Detecting.

I learnt a few things from the Guests.

Go Tommy, Eureka!!!!!

Retirement Stone said:
It is what it is. (Long advertorial)

Target audience is for the masses not experienced prospectors. We know gold is really not that easy to find.

At least he is out having a go.

You can see how much he is learning along the way between Series one and two.

I ve never seen inside the Coiltek factory and that was awesome to see.

Its something Australian prospecting related to watch, which is always good thing.

I ve also seen some locations talked about here on the forum, Whipstick, Jupiter Creek, WA, Beach Detecting.

I learnt a few things from the Guests.

Go Tommy, Eureka!!!!!

Right on!

Just saw it for the first time on 7mate, wasn't bad at all.

I just started playing an episode. Guy is on the beach with a local from Cairns. Gets a signal that is showing up as a 5-6 TID on the Nox. Next shot has him digging the target which turns out to be a $2 coin. Don't think I've ever had a $2 coin ring up 5-6 on the Nox. Maybe it was made of real gold!!!

Have never and never will watch these shows, they do more harm to our gold prospecting community than is realised.
All they are in there for is the ratings.
You see it more and more across many forums newbies jumping on board thinking gold is laying every where for the taking, not realising there are rules and regulations to abide by.

yes to both the above posts
it is shows such as , and social media that portray the hobby as an instant money maker !

We all know that it isn't !

"Fortune" hunters don't care about digging etiquette, they want the money , these same folk glean information from any source possible :(

This is why we cannot post photo's of the surrounding environment , or the next day it is a lunar landscape :(

Minelab have as much to blame as idiot Tommy , as they fully support the show :(

All in the name of money :(

The thing is, the 'Newbie' ( which we all were at some stage), could be the saviour of our hobby.

The more people doing what we do means more voices and voters when it comes to protesting against attacks on our lifestyle, and the greater chance of being heard. It means more money going to small towns and more jobs for relative businesses, making us more relevant to the economy.

Unfortunately it does mean more grubs doing the wrong thing, but that's not exclusive to prospecting.

Most TV presenters are annoying, but I'd rather watch something I'm interested in than some Cup Cake bake off crap. Even watching someone else's mistakes can reinforce your own process.
Rex Hunt was pretty annoying most of the time, but I still enjoyed watching his show.

Once again, if anyone thinks they're a cut above the current presenters, then step on up and impress us with your own show :) :Y:

Nightjar said:
May just do that Isolation, do believe I could present a riveting show. :goldnugget: :goldpan: :pickshovel:
The main theme will be 2018 presenting an exciting 9 days spent on the WA goldfields, detecting up to 8 hrs a day.
Not one speck of gold found. :lol: :argh: :eek:
I could be a featured guest prospector! Same sort of thing as you but throw in 4 hours laying on my bed watching Womens T20 cricket while googling fart videos for the forum joke section. :D

Looking forward to it Nightjar, those are the kind of stats I can relate to.

I think if you were laying on your bed eating cupcakes as well you'd really capture a broader audience MT :rainbow:

It's all about ratings :)

Another game today MT go the aussies, i am one eyed at the moment got a eye infection, so it will be rum liquor for pain relief with beer chasers to support our girls :beer:

Just watched this program for the 1st time.
Out of the full program there was less than 5 minutes detecting.
Mostly adverts for ML, finders keepers and some caravan company.
He can't have found much gold in the past, he was shaking on his 1st piece of the day.
Eureka!! Is his catch phrase.....ffs!!!

mbasko said:
Might be worth another look.
They've announced Andrew Bales (Geologist) will be the host for Season 3
https://theweekendprospector.tv
https://www.rawgold.com.au/about-rawgold
Probably still same format of an advertising program but Andrew should be a much better host that could provide some good insight?
1597399108_5a0c8e5d-3543-46aa-bae2-13201800e1a9.jpg