The Steropodongalmani Opalised Fossil From Lightning Ridge N.S.W.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syndyne

Shaun Galman
Reaction score
Hi all,

Let me introduce you to one of the most important opalised fossil discoveries to ever happen in Australia. I'll quote the information directly from journals and books we have here. I have two sides of the story, both from my father Alan Galman and uncle David Galman, along with the story told from Professor Alex Ritchie who made the discovery while looking through our collection, and how it came about.

1374563266_steropodongalmani_copyshaun_galman_2013.jpg

Photo used on behalf of the Australian Museum, Sydney and copyright of John Fields.

Australia's Oldest Mammal.

STEROPODON GALMANI new genus and species.
Age and Formation: Early Cretaceous Griman Formation.
Locality: Lightning Ridge, northern New South Wales.
Derivation of name: Steropodon comes from the Greek words meaning 'Flash of lightning' and 'Tooth"; the other name, galmani, acknowledges the contribution made by Dave and Alan Galman in saving this unique Australian fossil for science.

Description: Part of right lower jaw with three molar teeth in place. The original bone and tooth material has disappeared and been completely replaced by silica (opal), preserving every detail.

Interpretation: The presence of several cusps on the teeth show that they belong to a Mammal. The cusp pattern indicates that Steropodon is related to Australia's living Monotremes, the egg laying Platypus and the Echidnas.

Australia's opal fields have produced many interesting examples of opalised fossils and remains of long extinct animals and plants. Opalised fossils are often, unfortunately, cut up for their opal content, jewelry or sold as curio's to tourists and any scientific information they contain is irretrievably lost.

For over sixteen years brothers Dave and Alan Galman, opal miners at Lightning Ridge in northern New South Wales, collected opalised fossils. The Galman Collection, containing many unique or interesting fossil specimens, illustrated the range of animals (invertebrates, fish and reptiles) and plants that lived in northern New South Wales over 100million years ago when the opal-bearing deposits were laid down.

In late 1984 The Galman Collection was put up for sale. The Australian Museum in Sydney took immediate steps to prevent it's dispersal and, if possible, to acquire it. In November 1984 the collection was transferred to the Australian Museum for study, identification and evaluation. With sponsorship from ESSO Australia PTY LTD the entire Galman Collection was acquired by the Museum in December 1984.

Major Scientific Discovery

Examination of the Galman Collection revealed a unique scientific specimen, one of the most important discoveries made in Australia this century. The fossil consists of part of the right lower jaw of a small animal with three teeth still in place. The teeth are those of a Mammal related to the living Platypus. Until 1984 the oldest known Australian Mammal fossils were only about 24 million years old. The Lightning Ridge Mammal is over 100 million years old and lived in the Early Cretaceous times during the Age of Dinosaurs. The known history of Mammals in Australia was increased fourfold by a single specimen.

Australia's oldest Mammal, formally described in the leading international scientific journal, "NATURE" of 28th November 1985 has been named Steropodon galmani.

The discovery of Steropodon galmani reveals that:-

a) MONOTREMES (egg laying Mammals) are more closely related to MARSUPIALS (pouched Mammals) than was previously thought.

b) The ancestors of today's Monotremes lived in Australia over 100 million years ago.

c) The presence of Steropodon in rocks over 100 million years old renews hopes that an intensive search will locate Mammal fossils in younger rocks in Australia and begin to fill in the missing 75 million years of Australia's Mammal history.

I'll get a bit of the journey Dad and Dave went on throughout the whole process. I'll try and type out the story from Dr. Ritchie's point of view also. It really conveys his sheer excitement of making a once in a lifetime historic discovery like this. Though he leaves out the Champagne laced celebrations that took place behind the scenes at the Museum when the discovery was made :D

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

[Edited for spelling corrections]

The detail is incredible, was just reading that even bone marrow and nerve fibres can be revealed due to the fineness of the silica particles replacing everything.

And the scientists named it after your family !!! , mate, you cant beat that . again Shaun , thanks for sharing this fantastic story .

Regards Paul

That is awesome ! every day must be exciting when you are mining and coming across history like that .

Its hard for me to comprehend existence 100 million years ago, finds like this are absolutely incredible.

Thanks for sharing it with us Shauno, I can't wait to see what you post up next.

Nugget.

Thanks for the kind words all! Much appreciated.

When I get a little better light for photographing tomorrow I'll take a few close-ups of the gold replica I have of it. That way you can see the detail from all angles. I forgot to add the size above too, it's 25mm in length.

gtsjeff said:
That is awesome ! every day must be exciting when you are mining and coming across history like that .
Cheers Jeff,
It's really the whole love of searching for unknown treasures. Opal Fever and Gold Fever are pretty much one and the same. It just gets in your blood.
When you realise you're digging in such ancient strata and the valuable stones (and the very rare fossils now and again) that are amongst the dirt just waiting to be exposed to the light of day for the first time in millions of years is a very sobering feeling at times. When you're on a good patch of gem opal it's just like Christmas Day or winning the lottery every single day of the week! We go through the very lowest of lows most years and offset that against the very highest highs when you hit it big. ;)

Nugget said:
Its hard for me to comprehend existence 100 million years ago, finds like this are absolutely incredible.

Thanks for sharing it with us Shauno, I can't wait to see what you post up next.

Nugget.
I wholeheartedly share your sentiments Nugget. The age of the strata is something we only think about every now and again while underground. Coming across a fossil amongst the opal is a real eye-opener and a good reminder of what it was like back then. I've only ever found three good fossils in my 16 years of mining and digging through 26 separate claims on 8 different fields. The Plesiosaur tooth, an exceptionally large jawbone of a Lung Fish and a beautiful coloured mollusc shell. They are a rare find indeed. There have been a small number of claims that have been simply chock full of fossils though.

Still plenty of good mining stories to come Nugget. It's just so great to be able to share it here with others that have a common interest in rocks and minerals etc. :)

Colin&Lee said:
Thanks for sharing Shauno, are these pieces still in the museum and do they get displayed?

Cheers

C&L

Hi C&L,

Not sure about displays, but the entire collection was to remain in the Australian Museum for it's lifetime. It's all locked away today as far as I know. It was on display back in the 80's but resides deep in the vaults today. I got to see part of it in 94 during a visit when they took us into the offices and sections where the better specimens are kept. They bought the jawbone up to display it here at the Opal & Gem Expo (on this week actually) a few years in a row through the early 2000's. Haven't seen it in some years now but I wear an exact gold replica nearly every day. :)

I'll try and get the other article from Alex Ritchie written up with some more photos.
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Thanks for sharing your family history.

A very interesting post, looking forward to the next instalment .

Pete

I love Australian fossils, and they don't get much better than this!

It made a brief appearance in the documentary "Australia: The Time Travellers Guide", which if you haven't seen is definitely worth checking out, as it is by far the best doco on Australian fossils and prehistory that has ever been made.

Paleoworld-101 said:

It made a brief appearance in the documentary "Australia: The Time Travellers Guide", which if you haven't seen is definitely worth checking out, as it is by far the best doco on Australian fossils and prehistory that has ever been made.

Its available on Ebay , does it give information about where they have been found and how they were found ?

considering buying the DVD , then maybe pass it around forum members who can send it on each time when they are finished with it.

is it worth having a library of DVD's which members can pay for postage and hire out for 2 - 3 weeks each time ?

jonathan porter videos etc ?

Do i interpret this correctly , prior to the discovery of the Galmani jawbone , we only had history of animal life dating back 25 million years , and this takes it back to 100 million years ?

absobluddylutelyamazing .

and i thought my grandma was old !

beautiful how the scientists gave it the family name . very noble.

HeadsUp said:
Paleoworld-101 said:

Its available on Ebay , does it give information about where they have been found and how they were found ?

considering buying the DVD , then maybe pass it around forum members who can send it on each time when they are finished with it.

is it worth having a library of DVD's which members can pay for postage and hire out for 2 - 3 weeks each time ?

jonathan porter videos etc ?

I give this documentary my highest recommendations, having been a fossil-nut all my life this doco still managed to teach me lots of new stuff that I found truly fascinating. It starts from the birth of the earth and works backwards, analysing Australia's fossil record period by period all the way to the present day. It manages to do this in only 4 hours and still give attention to detail.

Are you referring specifically to the opalised jaw or Australian fossils in general? It does show you fossil localities all around the country and yes it shows how they are found as well. I think that Is a great idea you've got, would really spread the knowledge around and i'm sure everyone on this forum would enjoy it.

Hi guys,

Cheers once again for the kind words!

Paleoworld-101 said:

Thanks kindly Paleo!

Yep, I know the doco well. It was only just repeated over the last couple of weeks actually (pretty late at night on ABC2 if I recall). Definitely one of the best doco's done in recent times. I remember seeing it on one of David Attenborough's old series' also.

It's been on many shows over time and we still have a vast array of Beta and VHS tapes with shows all about it from the 80's and 90's. *I just found myself laughing at that thought as I haven't even seen a Betamax machine since I was a kid. :D

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Paleoworld-101 said:

An amazing doco. I'm watching the re run currently airing :)

Latest posts