The Poetry Section

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better to hold your peace and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt !!!

On a long enough time , the survival rate for everybody drops to zero .

1607165812_240d8619-40e1-44d2-a9f3-0cef42096d1e.jpg

I Wish

I wish things had been different
And the stars had all aligned
And the plans I had to meet you
Had not been so maligned.

For the written word is subject
To misinterpretations
Things are said that should not be said
And there's a breakdown in communications.

Like a sailor who get's driven back
Close-hauls the sails and begins to tack
Until he finds less trouble waters
And the wind blows mild from fairer quarters.

I wish those winds had been from astern
And we had met as the campfire burned
What powerful bonds we could have evoked
And you'd be happy and I'd be stoked.

Instead those memories died before their birth
And lay still and cold now beneath the earth
And we are left with 'what might have been' When 'words' gave forth an ugly scene.

I wish for somewhere. on some other day
I hope it's not too far away
And we'll finally meet at the journey's end
Till then, I wish you well my friend. :flowers:
copyright,2020. Ross. L. Langlands.

published in The Mercury, Fitzroy, Victoria. 26th August 1876

The Driver's Song
With tarpaulins unfolded at close of the day,
Behold us encamped by the side of our dray,
Forgetting the hills and the gullies we've passed,
Content to have reached a safe haven at last.
Forgetting the troubles of Blucher or Snip,
Who heeded no shouting, no swearing, or whip,
Who "jibbed" at the "pinches," and scarce gave a pull,
To help us along with our burden of wool.
The low flats are boggy, the rises are steep,
The "blind creeks" are dusty, the rivers are deep.
Old bullocks! You've work to do and be done,
And long is your stage from the rise of the sun,
Both offside and nearside are animals fine,
Fond looks from their mild eyes at times flash to mine,
With kindness I rule them, and this they well know.
As unyoked after toil to new pastures they go.
Good luck, fellow drivers wherever you steer.
May your lives from misfortune and bad grog be clear,
May you follow your calling with honour and pride,
And reach fortune's summit by means of greenhide.

casper!...an old gem brought back to life for us all! ;) Thanks mate..it fits perfectly with the Bush song ...My Billy of Tea..from the Bushwackers Album....I just had a lot of fun belting it out for the neighbours! :lol: :lol: :cool:
Deepseeker, thank you mate...I have always coped with life's little moments of adversity with poetry...enough said. :cool:

It brings back memories that one. I saw them playing live supporting Willie Nelson in Melbourne when I was about 16 or 17, and again playing at Moomba a year or so later. Crikey, that must have been about 40 years ago!

I have to tell you the motivation for this one. I shared a house with a couple of full-on Greenies for a while when I was in my late 20's. I thought when I had answered the share ad in the newspaper, that we could all practice live and let live. Instead, I endured countless lectures from these two women who were politically active members of The Greens, who for one minute could not see anything any other way but theirs.

One drove an old renault that peed oil all the time and blew smoke, and would bang on about how all cars no matter how old, should be fitted with a Catalytic converter. I was an Engineering student at the time and it shocked her to learn of all of the different materials that went into a Catalytic converter and where those materials came from.....

The house would be buzzing with bloody flies, but we were all forbidden to use anything other than a fly swatter, as flyspray contained chemicals and CFC's etc., etc. (I used to wait until they were both gone for the day and then go sick with my own hidden can :) )

Until one day, the most virulent of the pair went on one of her many overseas flights for a holiday. There was a main bathroom that myself and the other young housemate shared, and since the older and more virulent one set up the house first, she got to have an ensuite in her bedroom. Myself and the younger of the two were both going out on separate dates this particular Saturday night, and we both needed the bathroom at the same time. "Use the other one" she said, "I'm sure Megan won't mind".

In I went to have a shave and fix my hair (I had some back then), and Hallelujah! There on the shelves and all around the ensuite was a lovely big collection of hairspray, underarm, cosmetics and god knows what else in Aerosol cans! :mad:

Megan The Vegan

Megan the Vegan, NEVER ate meat,
And she NEVER wore leather, on her back or her feet!
She INSISTED EMPHATICALLY, that we should all be like her,
And NEVER wear leather, eat meat, or wear fur

But Megan the Vegan, was a rank Hypocrite,
She made all and sundry, put up with her :poop: .
While preaching her way, she drove all around,
In a car made from stuff, dug from deep in the ground.

As a true seasoned traveller, she travelled by plane,
That spewed tonnes of fumes, that caused acid rain.
She lived inner city, and would always vote green,
Abusing Labour & Liberal, and all in between.

But there are no forests in Fitzroy, or even Potts Point,
To save from the Bushies, while you drag on your joint,
Preaching to others, about all their harm,
While you eat your smashed Avo, that came from a farm

The cans said a lot about Megan :rolleyes: :lol: I dare say she is among thousands of politically-like minded people spraying cfc's all around so there hair is not out of place on the way to the airport!...good one mate. :cool:

I wrote this one when I was a young bloke, and had a habit of thinking with my small brain instead of my large brain.

Testosterone

Testosterone, Testosterone,
That stuff inside my flesh and bones,
That makes me sing, and makes me moan,
Im Buzzing once again.

Blur my thinking and my vision,
Steer me to another collision,
Dont back off until youve achieved your mission,
Im lovesick once again..

My mind at sea, I blindly swim,
To the island of original sin,
Until Im old, youll always win,
Jiggy, jiggy, jig..

My God Deep Seeker ,
Your Bolder than `i` am i didn`t read any thing in relation to your gender.
Boy `i` am not that there is anything wrong with that lol. :(
Oh ! sorry Boy you were.

Yeh ! I`ve written many a Poem to Girls i was attracted to.
10 years later one girl came up to me at our local pub. She had moved to W.A from Sydney.
Honey she was. She came up to me visiting to our local & said i`ve still got that poem you wrote me.
She was with some new boy friend `i` said but your not going to leave him for me are you ?
``No`` she said , bugger i would have given up All to have been with Her. Hope she reads this.

Deepseeker, Oh boy! that Testosterone used to come on hard...'so to speak'... :eek: :lol: I think your poem from back in the day...sums it up for a lot of us :p Fast cars free love and rock n roll...as the song goes...'Those were the days my friend ,we thought they'd never end'..but they have, to a large degree at least. :cool:

Latest posts