The must haves for camping.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nuggetino said:
Ungybungyboh said:
If using baby wipes, please do good old mother nature a thought when disposing of them...they are synthetic...Its not real tissue.

I would advise against reading the Telegraph as your sole source of news also but its the quickest link I could find....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-down-the-toilet/story-fnpn118l-1227146843427

You gotta buy flushable wipes. They just dissolve like regular old TP. Looks like someones already come up with a solution to baby wipes

thats what i thought too mate but out of the best brands when they say flushable it means it will take anything from an hour to 7 weeks to dissolve so it still causes a paperjam in the sewers.

There are apparently cheaper brands that claim to be flushable which take many months to dissolve so its back to the 40 grit wet n dry sandpaper unfortunately

well thats what grandma told me to use , she used to be an S & M mistress back in the day so she should know whats best

nuggetino said:
ProspectorPete said:
A shovel and a good ol' roll of poo tickets is the go for me, find a branch on a fallen tree at the right height, dig a hole under it and perch ya arse on the branch and contemplate what you're going to do for the rest of the day, backfill the hole when the paperwork is finished and wash your hands in the creek/river when you get back to camp.
It may be a bit rough for some but it adds to the experience of camping in the bush for better or worse :lol:

returning a nugget to the earth. If I'm feeling cheeky I'll drop a bit of lead shot in the hole before filling it in

Really dude, I mean come on, that's just some nasty stuff!!! :| :lol:

I take one of these strapped to my backpack.
Cause last time i tried to squat over a hole in the bush i lost my balance and almost ended up sitting in it......after i'd done my business of course.
http://www.campingcentral.com.au/oztrail-portable-camping-outdoor-toilet-chair-seat-stool/
oztrail_portable_toilet_seat__29763.1405410651.1280.1280.png

ProspectorPete said:
A shovel and a good ol' roll of poo tickets is the go for me, find a branch on a fallen tree at the right height, dig a hole under it and perch ya arse on the branch and contemplate what you're going to do for the rest of the day, backfill the hole when the paperwork is finished and wash your hands in the creek/river when you get back to camp.
It may be a bit rough for some but it adds to the experience of camping in the bush for better or worse :lol:

If anyone is looking for sound advice, then this is it!!!! ;)

Print it out, frame it, remember it!
This advice is GOLD!!
To add my little bit, if it ain't rough then you ain't camping!!....... probably "glamping"! :D

DISCLAIMER: IMO Poo tix can be, in no order of preference: tussock, leaves, a hanky, sock, undies, sorbent/purex etc, and in extreme circumstances (with water available) your hand. :eek:
Adapting to your surroundings whilst "out bush" is paramount! :D

Someone told me this option

Take a 1/2lb ball pein hammer, do your business, wipe with the index and middle finger of the left hand.

Then place the 2 fingers on the ground and take the hammer in the right hand and firmly strike the 2 fingers used.

Due to auto human response your fingers will be licked clean.

For left handers simply reverse the hands used in each step........

It never used to be but now the most important item is sanitary wipes after my 3yo daughter did a massive s*&$ and when I wiped her bum so she wouldn't lose balance got it all over my hand.

That toilet seat LC76 posted might be the go from now on I think.

backcreek said:
Oh and the other golden rule is if you take something along and don't use it, it doesn't come next time. :D
Then the odds are u will need it next time :) .

TFK
I have an old hot plate from an old seventies stove that fits perfectly on one of those butane stoves to do my cooking.
You can also get a double burner version that has a hood like a mini bbq , cheap and very portable.

Just seen one of those 2 burner butane stoves which comes with a flat hot plate as well and packs into a carry case. $85 at Anaconda , I find them convenient because they are quick to set up and no messing around with big gas bottles . Perhaps if I had an extended stay somewhere the LPG ones would be great but short stays or to make a quick cuppa on the tailgate of the ute I love the butane ones.

And what used to be the epirb... The new UHF satellite ones are known as a personal emergency beacon)

Sometimes a 2-way radio is useful as well. But the license-free UHF cb ones are only good for short distances, even with a repeater. The other HF ones cost a lot and need to be licensed. They either use a bloody great antenna on the vehicle or you might throw a long wire over a tree. (Those HF sets used to be used to contact the Flying Doctor bases in an emergency, but nowadays, you have to join one of the HF radio clubs -- and you still pay for a license every year.)

DavidH