Tesoro Diablo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seems to be a few Tesoro Diablos coming up on Ebay. A uMax a few weeks ago and a Diablo 2 at the moment. I know a few members have expressed high opinions of these machines and I am interested to know what coils are regarded as best for these machines in noisy areas and to hear any other comments..

what type of hunting will you be doing?

Tesoros are under rated and are fantastic machines.

I am interested in gold detecting in the Nundle - Hanging Rock area, an area noted for rubbish, high mineralisation, hot rocks and a lack of gold, but it is close. My question is prompted by general interest and reading other posts which are quite compimentary of the discontinued Diablo series.

The Diablo2 listed on ebay is for the control box only, otherwise it would be a good pickup for someone with a spare shaft and suitable coil.

I can recommend the Diablo uMAX model , took me years to find one , there a fantastic super light weigh powerful gold finder ! that has a stable threshold even on bad ground , signals on specimen gold that a ML 4500 can't see .

Once you have used one you wont sell it :D If you ever get a chance to buy one Grab It quick , Tesoro stuffed up when they stopped making these .

I've got the standard 10" elliptical & the 7"x3" coil , the smaller coil is a joy to use .

This detector has a hot rock balance knob to knock out those annoying mineralised rocks .

1401187208_003.jpg

Thanks for your info, how would you rate the Diablo uMax against the Goldbug 2 and the Whites GMT.

OZDigger said:
Thanks for your info, how would you rate the Diablo uMax against the Goldbug 2 and the Whites GMT.

Have not owned a GB 2 but had a older Whites Goldmaster , the Diablo uMax is just better all round with it's stability , the big plus is it's ability to null out those hot rocks so your not digging all the time :)

Does the diablo have a discriminator?

Its amazing a few vlf gold machines on the market
Today were designed by The same guy.

With the gmt if you pump the coil over the hotrock i
Believe they will dissappear and stay in the detectors
Memory until you need to change batteries. Not sure
But will test mine when it arrives.

Someone needs to develop a detector with the tesoro
Discriminator, khz frequency dial from a range of 12 to 60khz,
With auto or manual ground tracking with coil
pump over hot tock eliminator and iron volume with
6x4 & 10x6 dd coil packs and watch them fly out for
$1000.

Its not hard to do but requires new thinking and i think
the next wave of these Detectors will come from someone
that has no detector Experience but an electronics wiz based
in europe somewhere.

Some of the detectors coming out of Russia are amazing
Going by reports.

The discriminator is necessary for areas with truck loads
Of tiny ironstone in which the Dingo in this case worked well
Which had the discriminator.

As always each to their own.

Dave Johnson designed the following detectors , he said his favourite is the Tesoro uMax :D

Fisher in California: 1260, 1220, 1210, 1235, 1225, 1212, 1265, 1266, CZ6, CZ5, CZ20, original Gold Bug, Gold Bug II, Gemini, and industrial instruments including TW6, FX3, XLT-16, PF-18, and circuitry of the TW-770.

Tesoro: Diablo uMAX , Lobo SuperTraq.

White's: GMT, MXT, analog circuitry of DFX, Beach Hunter and PCL-600 line tracer.

Troy: X-5 and X-3.

FTP Bounty Hunter: major revisions to existing platforms most of which originated with George Payne. The BH Junior, Platinum, Gold and security wand (sold under various trademarks) were new designs.

FTP Teknetics: T2, Alpha, Delta, Gamma, Omega, G2.

FTP Fisher: F2, F4, F5, F75, F70, new Gold Bug, circuitry of the TW-82 industrial line tracer.

Latest posts