Tdi Pro VS Tdi SL

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was concerned that I was missing small bits because I wasnt finding lead shot that I seem to find everywhere else.
However I had a poke through the manual last night. This could be because I was mainly running the machine low conductivity and lead is more conducive than gold.
I could be wrong, Im far from an experienced detectorist but next time Im out Ill be playing with some of the balls I have at home and playing with the high , low and all settings.

No that's not the problem , or how the TDI works,

when you set it to low it will pick up nuggets up to 1/2 oz depending where you have the GB and the Delay set to, but when you have the delay set to 10us it will find Gold, It is the size of the target that decides whether it is high or low conductive although the metal type can also effect how it reads the Item along with the depth, so a large deep target can respond as a low conductor but where you have to be careful is when you hear a low conductor and after you remove some dirt then the signal vanishes, that's when you need to flick over the HIGH and double check the target because it could be a large lump of trash or a large nugget. So you need to make that judgement when to find an iffy target that changes it's report/signal from Low to High as you get deeper.

As long as you have the delay set to 10us and the CON switch set to Low you will be fine, The factory Whites coils for the TDI's are blind as a bat so you need either the Miner John Coils or the Coiltek Coils or get one of the hotter Nugget Finder coils. But don't even bother with the Whites 7.5" Coil because it is as blind as the 12"DF coil and it has the same sort of depth, The Duel Field coils struggle to see soild bits weighing less than 0.12+ grams, Squash em flat and it will see them, so always use after market coils on the TDI's, Ok.

hope that helps.

Thanks for your help mate.
My questions feel as silly asking as they probably appear reading so your patients with me is greatly appreciated.
I guess all thats left for meis to find the time to get out and put in the hours.
Been busting to get back out to the spot I picked up that last nugget.

Greglz86 said:
Thanks for your help mate.
My questions feel as silly asking as they probably appear reading so your patients with me is greatly appreciated.
I guess all thats left for meis to find the time to get out and put in the hours.
Been busting to get back out to the spot I picked up that last nugget.

Mate you have to ask them because there is not one perfect answer for any of them and ground conditions can change everything,

One thing to remember is the only stupid question is the one that is never asked, So don't be shy because this is one hobby that has too many variables and just when you think you got it sorted it proves you wrong, So stick at it coz we are all in the same Boat, yeah. :Y:

Greglz86 said:
Also have the 12 inch evo on its way for my next outing next weekend. Ill report back here for show and tell ;)

Well that should help a bit, Any of them evo coils will improve its performance,

good luck.

when it's raining and you can't get out for a swing, you want to set up the TDI and play with the CON switch and mess with the Delay and GB and using different targets see how there settings can effect whether the item comes up as Hi or Low conductive,

Set the machine up in ALL with the Gain about 6 and the GB at the default and then get some targets and mess with the GB and then put it back then mess with the delay and then put it back to 10us, and make notes whether targets come in I or low and then switch to HI or LOW and wave the targets in front of the coil but change the GB and/or the delay and see how they effect how the detector see's the items, ok.

Good luck.

Greglz86 said:
Hey guys. For those who use the 12 inch evo on the tdi. How well do you guys go in regards to sub gram nuggets? Whats your smallest bit?
I have found a 0.04gram piece, but honestly I don't believe this a constantly acheivable thing with the Tdi!
Anything under 0.5gram needs to be very close to the coil.
Matt T

Ship of fools said:
Greglz86 said:
Hey guys. For those who use the 12 inch evo on the tdi. How well do you guys go in regards to sub gram nuggets? Whats your smallest bit?
I have found a 0.04gram piece, but honestly I don't believe this a constantly acheivable thing with the Tdi!
Anything under 0.5gram needs to be very close to the coil.
Matt T

By rights the TDI can see 0.12-0.17 all day long but the signal will be a waver in the threshold with a soft woo sound so you really need the threshold to be low in order for it to be noticeable,

Often asked which machine is better, if it is depth and sensitivity then in my experience the Pro wins. Under all conditions and targets, the Pro wins. Raw depth and power, the Pro wins. No ifs, not buts. Add ease of ground balance, the option of hip mounting, battery life, sweep speed.. Again the Pro wins.
So why do I have both? The SL is an excellent beginners machine, it is quiet and easy to operate, under all conditions if running in Low. It has decent depth and is an honest performer. It has a smooth threshold unlike the Pro, it is even more resistance to EMI and it is nicely balanced and light, perfect for kids or the elderly. Air travel is a realistic option due to the battery pack, ie No lithium etc. That smooth threshold deserves another mention since it is a thing of beauty on the SL. I use the SL for parks, sports fields, places you would normally use a VLF machine. It works well and goes deep enough. It is a stealth PI since it looks like a VLF, doesn't upset onlookers etc.

My advice since I've been asked is go for a second hand Pro over a new or used SL or SPP. Build a couple new battery packs and you are good to go. The Whites machines are superb beach machines and competent nugget hunters. If you only want to prospect then Minelab wins, no arguments. The Whites are more versatile in my experience, given the High, All and Low conductivity modes. So if you want a machines for coins, relics, the beach and the goldfields then the Pro is my recommendation. A clean used machine is an excellent value and very capable.

Serious prospectors are well served by Minelab, for those of us who do it all, Whites had a decent performing Pulse Induction machine that is very versatile and affordable. It can disc iron and I can set it up for the beach to cover lots of ground and clean up. No hair pins or hooks at a foot plus for me. The ability to get decent depth, some ability to reject iron is something the Tdi series machines do well and makes it a real winner on the beach.., parks, and the goldfields.

My opinions, since I was asked.

All the best,
Karelian

Excellent unbiased comparison. Been using a Pro for a number of years and always been curious about the SL. It seems to have a lot of devoted users. Food for thought. :Y:

The TDI SL is available with a more gold hunting capable orientated coil on it now.

They labelled it the special edition.

Will see how people like using it soon.

1564843026_img_0526_-_copy_edited.jpg

Yep I've got the latest version of the Tdi SL, the Special Edition. Comes with the Miner John coil and that lovely desert tan colour. Love the new handle and paint work, usually use the larger 14 x 8 mono coil made by Miner John for beach work, fantastic balance and weight. The initial Tdi Pro VS Tdi SL opinions are based on the Special Edition SL vs an older Pro. The Special Edition is a lovely machine and I've not developed buyers remorse, it is my urban/beach PI and loaner machine when out prospecting. Toysandthings, the Special Edition is the latest version of the SL, any tweeks or mods done by Whites will be on it, like I have said, a nice version of the SL but still outperformed by the older Pro.

All the best,
Karelian :)

The Whites TDI SL, someone took one apart and checked its electronics and as of 2018 possibly back to 2016, a couple of mods are now standard inside improving sensitivity. The sweepspeed mod however was not made on those modeld that had been opened up. No one has checked 2019 model for the ss mod. The new coil might also improve sensitivity.

We do sell them at a great price tho.

Currently comes with an extra coil.

Looking into the higher power packs for them.

Im thinking about getting the149 miner john mono for my sl..just for when i head into my camp spot on the mary river in gympie..theres gold there somewhere.. :D

i have a whites tdi sl tan job with a hi Q coil its not in the book that come with it{got it sh)
what i cannot find out what coil is the Hi Q mono or ???
mond44

i have a whites tdi sl tan job with a hi Q coil its not in the book that come with it{got it sh)
what i cannot find out what coil is the Hi Q mono or ???
mond44
Dual field, higher sensitivity within the small coil, lovely coil to use but to noicy on some of our gold fields.

Razorback F8. or as some call it "folded mono"
I believe Reg.Sniff had something to do with the this coil design, that was started by Razor Back.
Higher sensitivity 2/3 down the middle of the coil from the front.

Whites High Q. coil, same design as Razorback.
Difference between the two, High Q have half the coil resistande of the Razorback.

Razorback started the coil production but sold the business to Miner John.
Miner Johns premises unfortunately burned down in the 2018 Paradise California wildfire.

High Q, became available some time after this fire.

Attachments

• DSCF1718.JPG
    DSCF1718.JPG
    462.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts