TDI Pro Oz or SPP

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just recently sold my ML F1A4 and was looking at a GP 3500 but I heard whites SPP is a great little unit.
There's not much info on the interweb or Youtube about either the TDI Pro Oz or the SPP.

Can some one advise the difference between the 2 models? Pros and Cons.

I would love to drive up to Dunnolly to check them out myself but I wont have time for several weeks.

Cheers

TDI Pro Oz, is the big daddy of the SPP... More power more knobs to fiddle with..
SPP is the new kid on the block, From the few posts I've read on here, and on treasurenet.. its a solid machine, haven't read about any gold finds as yet.

They're both solid PI machines...

You could probably pickup the SPP and a couple coil options, and have some cash left over for the cost of a GP 3500.
Or the TDI Oz..

I've actually been researching this myself just recently so here are a couple of key differences that I've come across.

TDI Pro has over the SPP
  • High / low / both conductivity selector, SPP is fixed (2 tone)[/*]
  • Granular ground balancing via additional Fine control[/*]
  • Adjustable volume control[/*]
  • Adjustable pulse delay, SPP has a fixed pulse delay @ 10uS[/*]
  • $1000 different between the two[/*]

I'm sure there's probably a few internal differences, but that should give you the general idea of how they differ mechanically at least.

P.S. I ordered the TDI Pro today :)

Nugget said:
I've actually been researching this myself just recently so here are a couple of key differences that I've come across.

TDI Pro has over the SPP
  • High / low / both conductivity selector, SPP is fixed (2 tone)[/*]
  • Granular ground balancing via additional Fine control[/*]
  • Adjustable volume control[/*]
  • Adjustable pulse delay, SPP has a fixed pulse delay @ 10uS[/*]
  • $1000 different between the two[/*]

I'm sure there's probably a few internal differences, but that should give you the general idea of how they differ mechanically at least.

P.S. I ordered the TDI Pro today :)

Its worth the extra bucks.. :D

I ended up buying the SPP. I pick it up Friday. Really looking fwd to taking it for a test drive.

Question: Will the battery that is supplied have a sufficient initial charge to test it for a few hours? Do you think Dean would charge it for me so its charged when I arrive to pick it up?

And while on the topic I have heard that you should not over charge the batteries, as it seriously reduces battery life.
If so how long should I charge the battery for ??

Hi all,

Homebrewer, I charged rechargeable pack overnight, it turned itself off when fully charged. The AA alkaline batteries supplied with the machine lasted a good 6 hours before the red light came on.

Did you upgrade from the standard coil?

Jim & Kerrie

Good to hear about the battery. I asked over the phone if I could swap out coil but he mentioned that he now has typo many 12" coils. I was hoping to pay the diff between the 12" and the NF 14x9 mono.

Jim. said:
Hi all,

Homebrewer, I charged rechargeable pack overnight, it turned itself off when fully charged. The AA alkaline batteries supplied with the machine lasted a good 6 hours before the red light came on.

Did you upgrade from the standard coil?

Jim & Kerrie

Hmm, I must had bad battery. Supplied alkaline batteries lasted only about one and half hours when I tested SPP in my backyard.
Karl

The SPP draws about 500ma so good Alkalines should last maybe up to 4 hours. Once you are familiar with the SPP, you will begin to notice depth loss and some additional noise at maybe 3 hours or so.

Reg

Latest posts