Tasmanian gold maps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone give me give me any information on how to obtain some gold maps for the Tassie area?
I have just brought a s/h 5000 and would like to give it a run :8 but not real sure how to go about it 8.(

Any information will be much appreciated :p

There are no specific gold maps for Tassie. It is very hard to find ground down there where you can swing a detector as most of the good areas are covered in thick scrub. We have detected nuggets in the Lefroy area, which is a bit clearer, try researching there. There are some historic maps on the MRT site which will show you where all the leads are that they worked.
There is also some detector friendly ground around the Mathinna and Manganna area.
Some of the ground around Beaconsfield is ok.

DD

Diggerdude said:
There are no specific gold maps for Tassie. It is very hard to find ground down there where you can swing a detector as most of the good areas are covered in thick scrub. We have detected nuggets in the Lefroy area, which is a bit clearer, try researching there. There are some historic maps on the MRT site which will show you where all the leads are that they worked.
There is also some detector friendly ground around the Mathinna and Manganna area.
Some of the ground around Beaconsfield is ok.

DD
Thanks DD, i have been looking in the Mangana and Mathinna area also reserching the Tullogorum area as there has been gold found there in the early days :p
i will keep looking maybe the guys at Tassie Detecting might give me some clues. :|

Any luck in Mathinna/Mangana area?

Mangana is unfortunately mostly surreounded by private property, and the hills to the NE of it have a whacking big mining lease on them, but Mathinna/Tower Hill seem quite doable.

hi googs
there is an old book called 100 years of mining in Tasmania by a bloke called ?? pink might be in your local library. it might give you some leads to check out.
regards trashy

cabbage tree hill north in Beaconsfield is a good spot the creek on flowery gully road but first get permission from boral to fossick their mostly alluvial and reef gold were the wood pileons are

hakuna try mineral tas tenement office they might be able to point you in the right direction
you will need to get tenement no.s to find locations but their arkives are their for everyone to look at allyou have to do is ask them nicely and they will help you out