Tasmaniacs Trash 'N Treasure.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those thunder eggs with the green in them are something pretty unique and special. Some nice agates too. I've got a couple of thunder eggs that I dug at Mt Hay when I was a kid but never made it up to agate ck, one for the bucket list by the looks of those. Saw some beautiful big agate eggs with clear quartz centres at a little home rock shop down near Lune River. From a place called Coal Hill near there.

the green ones were a nice surprise when they were cut ,they are my sisters ,she come up from vic a few years ago for a fossicking/prospecting trip but everywhere we planned to go it rained, so it was a bit of a downer for her ,so we went to lowmead for some quartz crystals and another local spot for some thunder eggs , so i let her keep what we found as her trip was rained out ,then my saw died ]:D and by the time the new one turned up she was on her way home :argh: so they are sitting here waiting patiently for her to return so she can polish them

i have no idea why she picked up this conglomerate like rock (well i had to carry the bloody thing)it is about 30 cm long and about 20 cm wide and when i cut it it was a big surprise i will leave it at that, i will get some photos of it and post them ,someone may be able to put a name to it ,

if she wants to polish it she will be doing it by hand ,i have not got a flat lap that big 8.(

you will have to wait a bit longer mackka,
i could not find it in the shed because it is sitting in her book shelf in vic holding some books up :lol:
marggie is sending me some photo's of it so we will have to wait 8.(
obviously, it was one that was cut before the saw :poop: itself ,she has polished it, a friend of hers has a polishing lap the he made himself that spins inside a 16" 4x4 tyre with the top wall cut out of it as a splash tray, that's a big polishing lap

Hmmmmm waiting waiting ,lucky i am a patient person mackka :)

she may not have been home when i rang her yesturday ,she has not long ago passed her gaurd's licence for the walhalla gold mine tourist trains they have been quite busy
this christmas

well to break the anticipation mackka while we wait, here is a wock that i would only throw at a wabbit not bring it home

1640929041_stones_1.jpg

but not the bloody nomad, had to bring it home :8

1640929106_stones_2.jpg

Ive got a fair bit of the stuff mate, big and small
I used to go out hunting and collecting where ever i could
ONE DAY ... i will post some pics (its all in a storage shed)
My favourite piece (and my mums ;) ) is bigger than a football , the actual size isnt the kicker, i jigsawed it back together with supaglue after digging it all out , the biggest piece is about 3
I do know where there are a couple of huge CHUNKS about 3 x2 :8 but no way of getting them out
I could probably find a link to info on a local petrified forrest if your interested (my info was from the library ... its a building that contains lots of books :playful:
I used to take my kids to the foreshore and walk across the branches of a giant tree in the rock plateau when conditions allowed

That would have been quite a jigsaw puzzle! Interested in the petrified forest up your way if you have any info on it. I've always had a thing for anything petrified, fossilised or just old.
Have you tried polishing any of those bits, looks like they would come up nice.

Latest posts