Tasmaniacs Trash 'N Treasure.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave79

Dave
Reaction score
Had the equinox 800 for 2 months now and starting to get the hang of it and find a few goodies. I know how much I like looking at other peoples treasures on the forum so I'll put some of mine up here from now on and stop hijacking other peoples threads. These are my totals from the last 2 months.
Treasures
1530675069_rps20180704_131959.jpg

Interesting Trash
1530675114_rps20180704_131930.jpg

Annoying Trash
1530675157_rps20180704_131857.jpg

Gold Mode Kryptonite
1530675213_rps20180704_132023.jpg

Goldpick said:
Got yourself a decent amount of treasures so far with the Nox, what was the medallion?
Can only make out 'city of Launceston ' and looks like a head with a crown. Think they might have given them to schoolkids for the coranation of QE2. Copper doesn't survive long round here.

1530767021_rps20180705_150120.jpg

Pretty average one today with one nice surprise. $4.44 , something out of a clock maybe and a decent florrie but missed the sterling silver cutoff by 1 year. For some reason the lower silver ones seem to clean up a lot easier round here. Any tips for getting the hard grey tarnish off old silvers would be appreciated. Tried boiling in bicarb with alfoil and scrubbing with bicarb paste and hardly made any difference.

Dave79 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12713/1530767021_rps20180705_150120.jpg
Pretty average one today with one nice surprise. $4.44 , something out of a clock maybe and a decent florrie but missed the sterling silver cutoff by 1 year. For some reasonhu the lower silver ones seem to clean up a lot easier round here. Any tips for getting the hard grey tarnish off old silvers would be appreciated. Tried boiling in bicarb with alfoil and scrubbing with bicarb paste and hardly made any difference.
Well done mate..Lemon juice..just the bottle from wollies is great..soak for 24hrs ...then finger rub with bicarb and water paste.... rinse.... and repeat if needed....soak for another 24hrs changing the LJ....Keep repeating process for up to 3 days...Some black or grey tarnish will only come of with electrolysis ...but by the looks of your pic that stuff should come off pretty easy.. ...Finish with soft bicarb water paste rub to neutralize The acid. :Y: :party:

G'day Dave

Nice haul there mate. I noticed your pic of old bullet shells and what looks like a couple of bullet projectiles.

Now you put them in with "Annoying Trash". Mate, the shells are brass, worth 3 - 4 dollars/kilo as scrap. The projectiles should be lead, at about $1.70 per kilo. I know it takes a bit to add up, but NOT trash.

Amongst all my hobbies, I am a scrappy/recycler, so I always look at the scrap value of things. We would all like to find those elusive nuggets, but keep your mind open to other values.

Have fun mate.

Phoenix76 said:
G'day Dave

Nice haul there mate. I noticed your pic of old bullet shells and what looks like a couple of bullet projectiles.

Now you put them in with "Annoying Trash". Mate, the shells are brass, worth 3 - 4 dollars/kilo as scrap. The projectiles should be lead, at about $1.70 per kilo. I know it takes a bit to add up, but NOT trash.

Amongst all my hobbies, I am a scrappy/recycler, so I always look at the scrap value of things. We would all like to find those elusive nuggets, but keep your mind open to other values.

Have fun mate.
I only put those things in the annoying box because they sound a lot like a desired target and get my hopes up. I have a shoe box steadily filling up with copper, brass and lead that will be cashed in one day. I also take all the Ali rubbish I find home and throw it in the recycling bin. Am a firm believer in the waste not want not philosophy.

Lemon juice works great but most times I don't have any so I stick with my Salt and Vinegar soak and then bicarb rub and repeat until shiny again. :)
:Y:

Luckily I have a hyperactive lemon tree in the back yard. It's been raided and they are soaking at the moment. Lookin like the trick.

Light electrolysis works very well on that stubborn grey coating, though only on .925 silvers - screws up the finish on 50/50's due to the copper content. The foil method can actually ruin .925 silvers, sometimes the foil has a funny reaction with the silver content leaving rough finish on the coin.

Latest posts