Talk about an ultimate detector find! The centrepiece to Henry VIII's crown!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13892...e-henry-viii-lost-crown-found-tree-400-years/

The centrepiece to Henry VIII's crown!

1612173404_fb_img_1612173385829.jpg

StoneTheCrows said:
Now that is a cool find.
I wonder does he get finders fee or is it his to keep or sell

He will get a finders fee, English Heritage will be dying to get their hands on that, The moment he sent it to be valued it would have been theirs so he will never get it back, and if he does not or has not agreed to the price it could drag on for months or years,

What P's me off is the wording where they say it was found by an Amateur, These clowns don't realize that it takes years to become a good detectorist and learn the knowledge and History research to find this stuff, Some people are just lucky but most of it is found by die hard detectorists. And to be successful at it takes about 3X longer than it does to become a so called professional Arky. If you use a detector you will always be an Amateur. ]:D ]:D ]:D :N: :N: :N:

G'day

From what I have heard about metal detector finds in the UK the article is valued and the money is split between the finder and the land holder, of course that's providing you have the landholders permission to be there detecting in the first place I guess, if not they would probably just confiscate it, and you would get sfa and probably also fined for being in the wrong place, there would be thousands of artifacts of gold and silver found in the UK every year that would never be declared, sold on the quiet or just kept in private collections because of these laws.

Ridge Runner I am with you on that comment of the finder being an amateur, in the same article it said that he had been a detectorist for 20 years, but I guess in the pom class system unless you have been to uni and are qualified as a archaeologist or similar you would always be just seen as an amateur even if you did find something worthwhile, the so called professionals would just get their noses out of joint over it all, your right it takes years to become proficient in detecting not just for coins and relics but also for hunting gold nuggets, is that also not a game where research plays a large part in your finds.

The UK history is amazing and there must be millions in all sorts of treasure still buried waiting to be found, if I ever get to the UK you can bet that my sovereign gt would be going with me. :inlove:

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU said:
G'day

From what I have heard about metal detector finds in the UK the article is valued and the money is split between the finder and the land holder, of course that's providing you have the landholders permission to be there detecting in the first place I guess, if not they would probably just confiscate it, and you would get sfa and probably also fined for being in the wrong place, there would be thousands of artifacts of gold and silver found in the UK every year that would never be declared, sold on the quiet or just kept in private collections because of these laws.

Ridge Runner I am with you on that comment of the finder being an amateur, in the same article it said that he had been a detectorist for 20 years, but I guess in the pom class system unless you have been to uni and are qualified as a archaeologist or similar you would always be just seen as an amateur even if you did find something worthwhile, the so called professionals would just get their noses out of joint over it all, your right it takes years to become proficient in detecting not just for coins and relics but also for hunting gold nuggets, is that also not a game where research plays a large part in your finds.

The UK history is amazing and there must be millions in all sorts of treasure still buried waiting to be found, if I ever get to the UK you can bet that my sovereign gt would be going with me. :inlove:

cheers

stayyerAU

The split is very dependant on what is agreed with the land owner, IE My Roman/Neolithic Site the Owner does not want anything and he does not want it reported either because the last time the Arkies were there months and made a bloody mess, That's professionals for ya, so he lets us keep what ever we find, I have found modern day Gold and coins and stuff from the middle ages and Roman and my mate found a Celtic Gold Stater, So the Arkies have bought it on them selves, There will always be an us and them situation until they learn respect is a 2 way street. I use to admire them now they are just something that gets on the bottom of your shoe, I have known them to try and destroy sites by coming armed with kilos of washers and spreading them across sites But Discrimination is your friend and they can be avoided, LOL.

Finds like this one are pretty special and they should be preserved, Hats off to the finder, :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
StoneTheCrows said:
Now that is a cool find.

He will get a finders fee, English Heritage will be dying to get their hands on that, The moment he sent it to be valued it would have been theirs so he will never get it back, and if he does not or has not agreed to the price it could drag on for months or years,

What P's me off is the wording where they say it was found by an Amateur, These clowns don't realize that it takes years to become a good detectorist and learn the knowledge and History research to find this stuff, Some people are just lucky but most of it is found by die hard detectorists. And to be successful at it takes about 3X longer than it does to become a so called professional Arky. If you use a detector you will always be an Amateur. ]:D ]:D ]:D :N: :N: :N:

You are taking the word "Amateur" the wrong way bloke.
A "professional" is someone who makes their entire living (wage) from this.
An "Amateur" is someone who does it as a hobby, it does not imply or mean that they are not skilled.

Yes being experienced in something is different from being an amateur or professional in the right context.
"Kevin, a detectorist for 20 years," I took the above article to be in that context (being upaid) not that he was inept or incompetent.
An example of a professional would be someone like Jonathan Porter. >95% of us on this forum would be amateurs.
As a detectorist I'm fine with being called an amateur in the right context.
Your level of experience is the difference i.e. 20 years vs. 6 months.

Amateur (adjective in context)
1. engaging or engaged in without payment; non-professional.

"amateur detectorist finds rare artefact"

2. done in an incompetent or inept way.

"a detectorist digging large holes in a manicured park is all so amateur!"

davent said:
Ridge Runner said:
StoneTheCrows said:
Now that is a cool find.

You are taking the word "Amateur" the wrong way bloke.
A "professional" is someone who makes their entire living (wage) from this.
An "Amateur" is someone who does it as a hobby, it does not imply or mean that they are not skilled.

Not really, I have seen many people from ML being referred to as Amateurs over the years, The correct term they call them is Amateur Archaeologists which they are neither.

I think davent and Mbasko have it right. In English usage amateur does not have so much of a pejorative sense to it. Remember that for years gentlemen cricket players were proudly amateurs, even at county and test level. It was the professionals, who got paid to play cricket, who were looked down upon, a function of the class system in the UK. It wasn't till 1952 that Len Hutton became the first professional to captain England in a test match, and the distinction between professionals and amateurs was eventually abolished in English cricket in 1963. Same went for sportsmen and women particularly at the Olympics and Commonwealth games as well as golf and tennis who were all amateurs originally.

There were also amateur teams in UK soccer back in the 1900's, teams with both amateur and professional players, and even matches for amateurs vs professionals. To this day Queen's Park Football Club in Glasgow are currently the only fully amateur club in the Scottish Professional Football League.

England would be an interesting place to detect, there are many miles of public right's of way across private land, 'bridle paths' which have been designated rights of way for many hundreds of years. These were originally pathways/short cuts giving access to a local church and land owners had to grant right of way to parishioners.

I would imagine that these have been detected to death, but there would have been some interesting finds.

Dihusky said:
England would be an interesting place to detect, there are many miles of public right's of way across private land, 'bridle paths' which have been designated rights of way for many hundreds of years. These were originally pathways/short cuts giving access to a local church and land owners had to grant right of way to parishioners.

I would imagine that these have been detected to death, but there would have been some interesting finds.

No you can't detect them and you can get in to trouble if you stray off of them to, The foot paths are normally clearly marked, Thing is you are not allowed to disturb the surface or below the surface,

It's not that hard to get permission to detect on land and a lot of farmers will rent out fields to clubs for the day or a weekend for detector clubs, I got one place that has been detected to death over the Decades but it always comes up with good finds because it gets Ploughed every year, In total it's about 400 acres maybe more. I tried to detect just one of the fields and after 2 weeks 10 or 12 hours+ per day I needed a break due to the amount of Iron junk in the ground but I did find a lot of very old coins well over 1800 years old yet everyone says it's dried up, LOL :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
Dihusky said:

No you can't detect them and you can get in to trouble if you stray off of them to, The foot paths are normally clearly marked, Thing is you are not allowed to disturb the surface or below the surface,

It's not that hard to get permission to detect on land and a lot of farmers will rent out fields to clubs for the day or a weekend for detector clubs, I got one place that has been detected to death over the Decades but it always comes up with good finds because it gets Ploughed every year, In total it's about 400 acres maybe more. I tried to detect just one of the fields and after 2 weeks 10 or 12 hours+ per day I needed a break due to the amount of Iron junk in the ground but I did find a lot of very old coins well over 1800 years old yet everyone says it's dried up, LOL :Y:

Makes sense, thinking about it... when I was there metal detectors didn't exist :8 Bugger... now I'm showing my age :D

DrDuck said:
I think davent and Mbasko have it right. In English usage amateur does not have so much of a pejorative sense to it. Remember that for years gentlemen cricket players were proudly amateurs, even at county and test level. It was the professionals, who got paid to play cricket, who were looked down upon, a function of the class system in the UK. It wasn't till 1952 that Len Hutton became the first professional to captain England in a test match, and the distinction between professionals and amateurs was eventually abolished in English cricket in 1963. Same went for sportsmen and women particularly at the Olympics and Commonwealth games as well as golf and tennis who were all amateurs originally.

There were also amateur teams in UK soccer back in the 1900's, teams with both amateur and professional players, and even matches for amateurs vs professionals. To this day Queen's Park Football Club in Glasgow are currently the only fully amateur club in the Scottish Professional Football League.

Gentleman detectorist, I like it. Cool as. :cool:

Latest posts