Tales of Missed Patches

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

G'day

Responding to another subject I remembered something that happened to me in that very same spot, so decided to start a subject on stories people might have on patches they missed out on or maybe on big nuggets that they might have walked away from.

Many years ago I was working an area that myself and some associates had done quite well in, I was in the area on my own and looking here and there for likely spots that I could have a detect, remembering a spot that looked ok and I had found some small pieces at some time before I decided to go and re visit it, driving along the track I came to a point in the track where there up ahead about 100 mtrs away was a large clearing, I was looking at the terrain on each side of the track as there was a quartz blow some way up the hill from where I was so I was thinking that was a likely spot for some nuggets, on looking straight ahead I spotted some caravans and as I neared I also saw some people detecting the clearing who looked at me and waved, thinking that I might have wandered on to a neighboring lease or something and not wanting to be in the wrong place I pulled up, after waving back I decide to do a u turn and beat a retreat back the other way, pulling off the track towards the down slope of the hill and into the tree line and then backing out.

Anyway back home after the trip I ran into a mate of mine and he said did you hear about the good patch found at the area that I had just been in and I said no? and asked whereabouts was it? and he went on to describe the area and he said remember the spot where we got some small pieces in that big clearing and I said yes I was near that spot and there were several vans there and people detecting, he said yes that was the group that found the patch, he then described exactly where the patch was and you guessed it the main part of the patch was right where I had driven in to the tree line and then backed out of again, and the very spot I would have detected if I had not seen the vans and people there :awful:

That decision still irritates me to this day, as it was not on a lease and realistically if I had got out to have a detect then I was still a reasonable distance away from the other people not to have interfered with them anyway, the first piece found was a seven ounce slug just below the surface apparently, about 40 ounces all up I was told, I went back there on another later trip and as soon as I saw the spot I knew what I had done, :awful: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: :poop: so I decided to detected the around the spot anyway, It had been well worked and raked over but I still pulled two ten gram nuggets out of the one hole and a few smaller bits and pieces so I didn't miss out completely I guess.

cheers

stayyerAU

Not a tale of what we missed but a tale with a moral anyway.

Few years ago we came across a spot which looked like a tour group had camped there. The ash remains of a very large fire and the ground well flattened by a good number of feet and such like.
We were amused to see a goodly number of filled dig holes around the fire area, laughing we wondered about the "new chums" digging stubby tops.

Parked about 50 metres away we were having lunch when a 4x4 vehicle drove past about 150metres away from us, went around some trees and out of site returning about an hour later.
Drove right up to us, we had been recognised, the first comment made was "we think we got all of them"
Could not believe it, they had killed it right where a group had sat, yarned but never waved a wand over it!

Not going to reveal what they scored but his missus said she was tempted but didn't look under the ashes.

Davsgold would remember this :D :Y:
mike

G'day Boobook

Thanks for the response, gold is where it is, and sometimes you might be sitting right on it and never know, a bloke showed me a nice specie one time but when he produced it I just thought it was a lump of black rock and I was thinking ha its probably a hot rock, he handed it to me it was pretty heavy and when I turned it around the other side of it it was all white quartz and gold, apparently he wandered on to an old fire place with rocks all piled around in a circle, he waved his detector over the pile and got a good response and thinking it was probably rubbish kicked the stones away from the pile, going over it again no signal so he detected around for the kicked out stones and found the specie, someone had piled it around the fire place and that's why one side was completely black but the other side was either the clean side down or just not noticed as it was full of gold and clearly visible.

cheers

stayyerAU

boobook said:
Not a tale of what we missed but a tale with a moral anyway.

Few years ago we came across a spot which looked like a tour group had camped there. The ash remains of a very large fire and the ground well flattened by a good number of feet and such like.
We were amused to see a goodly number of filled dig holes around the fire area, laughing we wondered about the "new chums" digging stubby tops.

Parked about 50 metres away we were having lunch when a 4x4 vehicle drove past about 150metres away from us, went around some trees and out of site returning about an hour later.
Drove right up to us, we had been recognised, the first comment made was "we think we got all of them"
Could not believe it, they had killed it right where a group had sat, yarned but never waved a wand over it!

Not going to reveal what they scored but his missus said she was tempted but didn't look under the ashes.

Davsgold would remember this :D :Y:
mike

Do remember you telling us that story Boobook, seem to remember it was between Leonora & Tjukayirla ;)

2019 was first time with a 7000 which didn't get off to a very good start, with thoughts "What have we done?" In desperation contacted Davsgold and he gave me some settings to try and almost immediately gold was trickling in. Having breakfast next morning Kalgal suggested we go back to Harry's Patch an area found back in the 90's and hammered heavens knows how many times since. The old patch was on mining leases owned by a company that we had managed to get written permission to detect. My first reaction was it would be a waste of time and fuel but we headed off anyway with thoughts of the two clean sun bakers Kalgal had found with the GPX4500 . We wandered with the SDC & GPZ crossing about 50 metres of barren ground from the old patch and KalGal gave a thumbs up she had one. Chaining for the next two days we dug 100+ bright yellow nuggets ranging 0.07g to 2.5g the deepest 150mm for a total of 70 grams. To this day we have wondered how the hell was this amount of gold missed in years gone bye? Gold is certainly where you find it. We will be heading back there again this year, hopefully another patch nearby. :goldnugget:

Latest posts