Syd-Hob yacht search

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Just returned from NZ cruise .... we were diverted to help search for missing yacht "Huntress" .... turns out was abandoned (rudder issue) and crew were already picked up .... very interesting diversion off NW Tas. And surprisingly the yacht was located ...... guessing some local cray fisherman will head out and claim salvage.

A67CD1C3-FE5E-4C55-B117-EEDA62C6D3A1_1_201_a.jpeg13FA690D-DB52-471C-83AB-E6B10F9C1A30.png

Hope all is well there.
As for the race itself, who actually won? (Not line honours - it is a handicapped race)
Buggered if I can find it.

What a waste. I'm not a sailor but I've heard many people have sailed home dragging a sea anchor as a rudder. It may have been a slow journey but it's a bit late now.
Yes they tend to be blaming others ? Given the value of it, if it was mine I reckon I would have quickly chartered a boat and gone and towed it in long before the week was up ? At the least gone out there and monitored it towing it away from shore if need be ? Who knows ? Like yourself MB no sailor here all be it I have had a few say to me over the years "Hello Sailor" 🤔 🤣

What a disgrace that an expensive boat like that was just left to its own devices for a week before it beached itself. What is wrong with us that we couldn't take the basic actions required to inform the wider boating community and have it towed to safety at some stage in the 7 days after it was abandoned rather than just letting it drift ashore?

This story just keeps on keeping on!

Salvage fight over Sydney to Hobart yacht Huntress as Aboriginal Land Council claims ownership:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01...ress-salvage-fight-indigenous-claim/101836372

Last week the idiots were carrying on about the possible pollution problem if the boat wasn't removed. This mob have become too greedy Australia wide.

The lawyers (bottom feeders) create the chaos because ultimately they win whatever the outcome.

Just read that Michael Mansel has said that the insurance company had no right to remove the yacht as it ” belonged to the Aboriginals of Cape Barren” due to Aboriginal Law. Well, I for one will be looking very closely at The Voice proposal before we all end up chucking a nulla nulla! Mackka
I think Maritime Law has more wack than Aboriginal law. Especially on the water.

Latest posts