Steel Phase Amplifier

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen the unit down here in Laanecoorie.
Very nice.
I gotta get me one. :Y: :Y: :Y:

From an Electronics point of view 110% above any of the other more common boosters and build quality to boot..

Proof of the pudding is in the eating... But I would be happy to have one :)

I'd say you are right AM.
Both SteelPat (runs a Victorian electronics business, works super hard on the goldfields and posts great gold finds) and PhaseTech (Nenad's detecting super-store and regular poster of great detecting advice) are strong members of PA.
I'd buy from these pros any day. If they say it works - it does, so I purchased one on-line immediately after the Laanecoorie Gold Bash.
They're not just amplifiers, but make the signals jump out with 3 modes of filtering (as I understand).
It's on its way, and can't wait to experiment with it in the GT.
I generally use a speaker (not headphones), so my observations will be centred on speaker usage.

I'm the same as you BigWave, I'll be getting one shortly to run on my new 4500 when it arrives, after speaking with Nenad it sounds more benificial for use with hearphones than a booster, if he recommends it then that's enough for me.

I always dreamed of having something like this as a detector booster and filter set, Neve detecting goodness, lol. Not practical though damn it. :p

1507681352_rupert-neve-designs-rupert-neve-shelford-5051-indu.jpg

So can anyone shed any more light on what's going on inside the Steelphase amp, different eq curves and q factors? A little bit of compression and boosting maybe? It certainly looks the goods.

Mackka said:
I did hear that it interferes with the booster in the unit which creates distortion . just what I am hearin.
Mackka

Not sure where you heard that but the sP01 booster doesnt trigger the internal amplifier in the GPX batteries so it is impossible for this to happen. When I designed it I made sure that we didnt use the battery amplifier as they are pretty raw and dont do anything to improve the audio other than make it loud.

Also the sP01 unit is fully shielded so very little external EMI can affect the unit. It is only when I have my phone in my pocket directly behind the sP01 unit that any interference has been introduced. And even then its pretty minor.

Don't know if I have permission to share any of the user finds photos, but if you are on fbook, check out the steelPHASE page.

Here's my bits from the weekend all with the sP01.

1507692769_20171008_114453-1.jpg

1507692824_20171008_141611.jpg

I got two with the SDC, the rest with the 4500 and new 15" Detech Super Deep mono.

7 bits with the Detech, smallest 0.1g, biggest 1.6g.

1507692994_20171008_145752-1.jpg

Heatho said:
So can anyone shed any more light on what's going on inside the Steelphase amp, different eq curves and q factors? A little bit of compression and boosting maybe? It certainly looks the goods.

Ok well without going into too much detail (I have spent a lot of time and money on the design so I dont want to give out too many secrets lol) there is a very low noise class AB amp that provides the obvious amplification. There are also some filter stages that have different eq curves (mainly to allow people to find a setting that is comfortable for them and how their machine is set up). It also has a stage that provides a little compression to give more definition to very broad signals, making them more pronounced and less likely to be missed.

I wont go into a full sales pitch on here (not until I sign up as a sponsor anyway) but there is also some info on www.steelphase.com.au as well as the steelphase facebook page (I am posting peoples finds on there as they send me photos)

SteelPat said:
Not sure where you heard that but the sP01 booster doesnt trigger the internal amplifier in the GPX batteries so it is impossible for this to happen. When I designed it I made sure that we didnt use the battery amplifier as they are pretty raw and dont do anything to improve the audio other than make it loud.

I use the internal amp in my GPX battery and have compared it to a friend with a B & Z system with his same GPX over undug targets and found lttle difference between the two.

Could Phase Tech produce a video for his You Tube channel comparing the SteelPHASE against the GPX battery internal amp to display the differences for those interested?

Rush said:
SteelPat said:

I use the internal amp in my GPX battery and have compared it to a friend with a B & Z system with his same GPX over undug targets and found lttle difference between the two.

Could Phase Tech produce a video for his You Tube channel comparing the SteelPHASE against the GPX battery internal amp to display the differences for those interested?

The difference between our system and those like the B&Z is that its not about getting the most volume. The sP01 not only provides some amplification, it also changes the signal definition. I originally designed the sP01 for use with headphones where sound quality and definition are the main priorities. I know Nenad has done some videos but I dont think he has one comparing the inbuilt GPX amp.

Hi Nenad and Steelpat, good looking booster you guys have put together. Well done.

Just a question about the lipo battery. I use lipos and am pretty cautious how I store them especially at home as not real keen on having a fire in the event the battery explodes.

I noticed that you have used an aluminium casing for the booster. In the event of the battery actually catching fire do you think that the case would contain the fire? Is it something that has been tested?

I used to keep my lipos in a cupboard at home until I found out the things can catch fire even though they're not being charged or being used. Probably doesn't happen that often but none the less something to be aware of.

RichterScale said:
Hi Nenad and Steelpat, good looking booster you guys have put together. Well done.

Just a question about the lipo battery. I use lipos and am pretty cautious how I store them especially at home as not real keen on having a fire in the event the battery explodes.

I noticed that you have used an aluminium casing for the booster. In the event of the battery actually catching fire do you think that the case would contain the fire? Is it something that has been tested?

I used to keep my lipos in a cupboard at home until I found out the things can catch fire even though they're not being charged or being used. Probably doesn't happen that often but none the less something to be aware of.

The internal charge circuit has over voltage/over current and short circuit protection. I also enclose the LiPo in an insulating material to help protect from physical damage. I am pretty sure that if it caught on fire the case would offer good protection. I may have to sacrifice a case one day and test that.

Latest posts