Sovereign GT vs Gold Monster 1000?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a question whilst I'm waiting to get a little more financial.
I've got use of a Sovereign GT anytime I need it, great little detector and I've found a lot of coin on the beach with it, and plenty of lead LOL.

How much better would a Gold Monster be than the Sov GT? I've never seen a comparison between the 2 so I don't want to go wasting $$$$ whilst saving for something better.
They're a similar sort of VLF machine so I'm wondering if I should go ahead and grab a GM whilst I can or save another year for an SDC2300/GPx4500 etc??
My last decent detector was a GP3500 but I can't afford a 4500/6000 etc at this stage.
Thanks

Very nice vlf.

Save and get an sdc2300.

You will have the best in both worlds.

A decent relic machine and a PI gold machine with
no stress. :cool:

FastR1Red said:
I've got use of a Sovereign GT anytime I need it, great little detector and I've found a lot of coin on the beach with it, and plenty of lead LOL.

How much better would a Gold Monster be than the Sov GT? I've never seen a comparison between the 2 so I don't want to go wasting $$$$ whilst saving for something better.
They're a similar sort of VLF machine so I'm wondering if I should go ahead and grab a GM whilst I can or save another year for an SDC2300/GPx4500 etc??
My last decent detector was a GP3500 but I can't afford a 4500/6000 etc at this stage.
Thanks
Yep agree with as above. The Sov is a great machine still for coins and relics anywhere.
But save as said for the best PI you can get when ready. You'll be better in the long run getting a PI than a VLF.
Be patient and save.

FastR1Red said:

Thanks

What sort of detecting do you intend to do? Beach, Park, fields, for coins and relics? OR Gold in the GT, etc?

Bear

Polar Bear said:
Have you looked at any other detectors?

Hey Polar Bear, yes been looking at various ones (Nox 800, Whites Gold bug etc) but they're all along the same lines as the Sovereign. I just thought if the GM was much better for gold than the Sovereign is, then at least I could start again.

G'day

The sovereign gt is a great coin and relic detector, when it was released I even saw it written somewhere it was also being touted as a gold detector, I use mine regularly in the WA goldfields for hunting old town sites and have found dozens of coins, no gold ones as yet though, and have never found any gold nuggets with it but I wasn't really using it in areas where I was getting gold nuggets either, but I don't doubt that it would ping a decent sized nugget if you were using it in a high trash area, it would miss the smalls ones though.

I would not waste my money on a gold munster as yet, be patient as due to the release of the Gpx6000 there are dozens of Sdc's and 4500's for sale at the moment, the prices are relatively high right now but give it a few more months and there will be some bargains to be had as the prices are bound to drop as people try to move them on, also as far as pi detectors go the Sdc is an awesome small nugget detector but the winner between it and the gpx is without doubt the 4500, the prices for second hand ones are not that far apart as the sdc's are holding their price well, but overall the best bang for your buck for serious detecting is the 4500 for sure.

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU said:
G'day

The sovereign gt is a great coin and relic detector, when it was released I even saw it written somewhere it was also being touted as a gold detector, I use mine regularly in the WA goldfields for hunting old town sites and have found dozens of coins, no gold ones as yet though, and have never found any gold nuggets with it but I wasn't really using it in areas where I was getting gold nuggets either, but I don't doubt that it would ping a decent sized nugget if you were using it in a high trash area, it would miss the smalls ones though.

I would not waste my money on a gold munster as yet, be patient as due to the release of the Gpx6000 there are dozens of Sdc's and 4500's for sale at the moment, the prices are relatively high right now but give it a few more months and there will be some bargains to be had as the prices are bound to drop as people try to move them on, also as far as pi detectors go the Sdc is an awesome small nugget detector but the winner between it and the gpx is without doubt the 4500, the prices for second hand ones are not that far apart as the sdc's are holding their price well, but overall the best bang for your buck for serious detecting is the 4500 for sure.

cheers

stayyerAU

That's great info thanks very much for that. Really appreciated.
OK I'll keep an ear out for a 4500, will be good to get back into it.
I'm really looking forward to getting out of the house again, away from this PC and phones, and meeting up with some members.

Polar Bear said:
What sort of detecting do you intend to do? Beach, Park, fields, for coins and relics? OR Gold in the GT, etc?

Bear

Sorry PB I missed your question before...

With the GT just for coins etc. It works great on the beach and in the park and I have found a gold ring on the beach with it. From memory it was only 2-3 inches deep.

But I do want the new one for gold specifically. I'll keep them both in the car.

Knowing my back luck, if I find ANY gold it will be the smallest stuff anyway so that's why I was trying to get a comparison with the GT and the GM.
I've buried a few coins in the backyard to test the GT, it finds 50c and $1 coins at 3 inches deep easy, but a $2 coin at about 6 inches deep it won't even hear. It picked up a nail only 2 inches away from the $2 coin at about 3 inches deep.