Southern Aurora

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've recently moved to Tassie and noticed what looked like to the naked eye a slight hint of solar flare? Could it be possible to see such events in Tassie with just your eyes? Further more how far north could you see the Aurora?

I'd imagine Goldierocks could shed light ( pardon th pun) as many others could here
Anyone got any pictures!

They are visible in southern tassie quite regularly and last year there was a great show on the north coast, I didn't get any pictures but there are plenty on the net.

My Father said at times they could see it at Kamaruka.
That was in the days when there was not much light saturation.
I have seen some pretty fantastic displays here in Bega.

Traveling around Mountain Tops at night on the Snowy Ranges
was good value at times.

1994 the whole sky to the south lit up in shades of Gold, Blues and Reds.
Unbelievable it was.

I asked a local in Swansea (Tas) if he ever saw the aurora in Swansea. Nope was his answer. In Hobart yes. Reckons only with a long exposure can you capture it on the east coast.

What I saw was thin wisps/bands of white light mixed with clouds. I was looking south west at the time from the east coast., It had just snowed on the high lakes mountain range.
If in brave enough over the weekend I'll keep my camera ready. Brrrrrrrrrr 🥶

I've been very lucky to have seen hundreds - but that was in 1979-1981.
Bloody brilliant. Brighter than most stars, and would light up the ground you were on.
2nd photo is over my Aurora hut in the Vestfold Hills. Davis Base - Antarctica

Attachments

• Aurora 3.jpg
    Aurora 3.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Aurora 4.jpg
    Aurora 4.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
These auroras are nearly symmetrical at the Northern and Southern magnetic poles, with the ionised plasma particles from the sun (generally from a coronal mass ejection) bouncing from one pole to the other in around 1 sec. Not a good time for gold detecting though, as they "wobble" the earth's magnetosphere.

Bugger Rob. The best one I’ve seen was up seaspray.
Apparently was also seen in Canberra and SA. Hopefully it kicks off again tonight.
Problem is it could be late tonight or early in the morning.

Latest posts