Someone gave me this rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishfull

Peter Johnson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi gents and gals.
Due to a passing of a relative...not close. I was given this rock. Very heavy. Looks almost like Galena. But it has crystals on it that are the colour of Garnets. And there is Quartz showing on one sise as well. The crystals come off very easily..

1591871677_resized_20200611_194530.jpg

1591871739_resized_20200611_194753.jpg

1591871987_resized_20200611_194653.jpg

Can someone tell me what it is please.

Hey Wishful,
As a comparison I got this piece of quartz which is almost identical in volume (tested by water displacement) and the garnet is almost 14 grams heavier (36.4g and 49.7g). So yes, it does feel quite heavy in comparison to something like quartz.

1591933490_942dbd62-6762-46fd-853e-ce18f8b1bfa9.jpg

Definitely galena and most likely garnet as you can see the dodecahedral shape, chalco/pyrite and it wouldn't surprise me if it contains high grade silver ore. Probably from Broken Hill area. There was an area around BH with high grade silver ore that is really heavy I've got a piece somewhere, it wouldn't surprise me if that is part of the matrix it's hard to tell from photos.

Yes Galena... It has that typical Galena layering ....

I would have to agree with Blisters... Probably Broken Hill area... That's about the only area that Garnets and Galena Mix that I know of...

LW....

If it is B H area there is also the possibility of rhodonite crystals, but someone else may have better knowledge as to what they are found with?

An ol' fella years back showed me a trick with garnet.
If you get a narrow beam torch like a laser and point it into the stone, it soaks up all the light. You cant get the light to hit the opposite side from where your pointing it into the stone. He and his wife use to spend 3 months a year north of Mt Isa chasing garnet for his sons jewellery shop back in Sydney. When I met him in Townsville he was on his way home with about 6 x 20L buckets full :eek:

Latest posts