Some early Australian mining history.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
This is an old photo of some early Australian mining.

Historic Mine.jpg

I'd be interested to see the equipment used 30,000 years ago. It's the world's oldest continually operated mine right here in Australia but not available for viewing.

1673038851414.png

Quote from Ancient Origins Net;

Wilgie Mia, known by the Wajarri Traditional Owners as Thuwarri Thaa (the place of red ochre), lies in the Weld Ranges of Australia. It is the largest and deepest underground Aboriginal ochre mine in Australia and the world’s oldest continuing mining operation. Its’ rich red ochre was first extracted more than 30,000 years ago and is still used today in Aboriginal Law, art, ceremony and healing practices throughout the Western Desert and its fringes

Wilgie Mia is characterised by large open-cut pits, excavated caverns and underground galleries that follow ochre seams in red, yellow, and green. But it was the red ochre that was most prized by the Wajarri people. The lustrous sheen and the ‘glow in the dark’ properties of this particular ochre, made it among the most sought after ochre in the country, used for thousands of years in ceremonies, rock art, and for trade.

The ochre from Wilgie Mia formed part of the most extensive pre-contact ochre trade network recorded in Australia. The ochre would be delivered on foot to the border of a neighbouring tribe where it would be passed on from one territory to another, reaching as far afield as 1,600 kilometres away. For those seeking ochre, a message stick was marked and passed on ahead of travelling men, letting people ahead of them know they were coming seeking red ochre from the Weld Range. Spears, boomerangs, and kangaroos were given as payment.

The mining techniques of the Wajarri

The mining techniques used by Aboriginal people at Wilgie Mia included 'stop and pillar' techniques to provide increased safety when mining underground, and the use of pole scaffolding with fire-hardened wooden platforms to allow them to extract ochre from different heights in the rock face at the same time. Heavy stone mauls were used to break the ochre away from the rock walls. These techniques have not been recorded at other traditional Aboriginal mines.

Once the lumps of ochrous stone were pulled from the mine, they were carried to the top of the northern slope where they were broken up to extract the ochre. The pigment was then pulverised with rounded stones, dampened with water and worked into balls. Using these methods the Aboriginal miners removed about 19 600 cubic metres of ochre and rock weighing around 40 000 tonnes. This is the largest amount of ochre removed by Indigenous people from one location in Australia using traditional mining methods.

The National Heritage Register on which Wilgie Mia was listed in 2011, describes the mine as offering “outstanding heritage value to the nation because of the place’s importance in demonstrating a high degree of creative or technical achievement during the last three thousand years”.

Not sure that it is the oldest - this is one that I visited in Swaziland. Nearly all ochre mines are in iron ore mining areas now (although there are exceptions, e.g. Jan Juc in Victoria).

"Mining at Ngwenya...... is thought to have started about 42,000 years ago, making Ngwenya Mine the oldest known mine in the world".

OR

"The oldest mine in the world is the chert (silica) mine at Nazlet Sabaha, Garb, Egypt. It is estimated to have first been in use around 100,000 years ago".

OR

"Archeologists digging in the Netherlands have unearthed flint and bone fragments from 200,000 years ago that have remnants of red ochre on them, indicating that Neanderthals were using the material"

Such competition is meaningless. Hunter-gatherers go back to at least 48,000 years ago in Australia and quarter of a million years ago in Africa, and it seems likely ochre was used from the earliest times. Australian aborigines got here via SE Asia and India and one might expect that they were already using ochre then - they probably left Africa between 70.000 and 100,000 years ago.

Latest posts